Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Got into a bad accident today

BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
edited October 2006 in General Banter
Very wet and rainy day in the metro detroit area. At 10:20 AM EST this morning, I spun out on a major expressway (I 94), slid across three lanes of traffic facing the opposite direction, and in the left lane, got into a head on collision with an oncoming car.

My truck (94 Jeep Cherokee) is totalled. The guy's car is totalled. No one was killed or seriously injured. We're both sore.

Yay!

This is the first accident I've ever had where it has been "my fault" - Even though I didn't really screw up, I just lost control of the car on wet slippery pavement.. Thankfully, nobody got killed.

I really thought I was going to die. I felt the jeep tipping, and I thought for sure I was gonna roll it. I was sure of it.

Here I am. Bring on the next day :hrm:

Comments

• edited October 2006
    whoah, glad to hear you are ok after this incident.
  • questZENerquestZENer Veteran
    edited October 2006
    glad to hear all is well w/you Brian. it sounds like a very scary situation and that you are very lucky to be only 'sore' for now. i do hope you'll keep the doc's number near to hand as after such experiences, it takes the body several days to realize the extent of the damage. hopefully, you're ok. be sure to seek physicial therapy (PT) if necessary. i was in a VERY minor accident but suffered whiplash and i did PT for three long months afterwords. it was very necessary to help my healing process. please be attentive to your body and do seek help if you even THINK you may need it...

be well, friend...
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Good to hear that everyone OK, Brian. Accidents do happens, which is why they're called accidents. Hope the shakes pass off quickly.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Holy crap! That must have been terrifying! I'm very glad you and the other driver are okay, Brian. Take it easy and give yourself lots of lovingkindness and compassion. Your children still have their daddy.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2006
    Now that's what you call an "In the moment" reality check.....!! I bet your mind just went blank - well, apart fom "Holy Sh......!!"

We're all so thankful you all came through it ok.... Was the other driver ok about it? I mean, as well as the experience, did he give you a hard time? Hope not.

Just so glad everything is ok.

It's only a car, Brian.

But you - now you are something else. :)
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited October 2006
    The other driver was nice enough. We were both just kind of in shock. I am betting that he wasn't really expecting a Jeep to be facing him in the fast lane all of the sudden... He was going pretty fast, probably 50-60mph. (80-90km/h). He asked if I was okay, I asked if he was okay, we kind of shook hands, and that was really the last I saw of him.

There's always some dark humor going on at accident sites, and this time was no exception. As I was walking back to my jeep, I found his front Ford emblem embedded dead center into my radiator.
  • edited October 2006
    May I enquire: what model jeep did you have and did you have an airbag? It must not have been a Wrangler.

I am very grateful that you are still in this bardo.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2006
    Brian wrote:
    ....There's always some dark humor going on at accident sites, and this time was no exception. As I was walking back to my jeep, I found his front Ford emblem embedded dead center into my radiator.

...And you must have read it backwards, which is 'droF'.... I undestand that, in a rare and obscure Russian dialect, this means 'Doofus'....

Glad all is well, Brains.... ;)
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Oh dear!

Thank god/Buddha/Allah/insert supreme being here.../you are okay!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2006
    Brian,

I am grateful to hear that you are relatively unhurt after such a horrifically sounding accident! Coincidentally, last week a girl I work with drove over a forty foot cliff in her car, which landed on the roof. She suffered a concussion and doesn't even remember climbing out of the car and up to the road.

Jason
  • edited October 2006
    Brian,
    I'm glad you are alright. But when you said it wasn't really your fault it struck me funny.

You "just lost control." I'm not looking to start trouble, but I beg to differ with your analysis. You were driving the car. You lost control. You hurt someone besides yourself because you were driving too fast for conditions. Taking ownership for your actions is important. My father has about 15 % of his functionality left because of another driver who still has never taken ownership. The amount of hurt that can ripple through families because of someone's carelessness is almost inconceivable.

You and the other driver got very lucky. Before you drive again, might I - with true kindness at heart - suggest you reconsider your responsibilities as a driver?
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited October 2006
    I lost control. Good point.
    edited October 2006
    kickapoo, all,

It is certainly good to take responsibility for one's actions—especially actions that might have resulted in the harm of another person—nevertheless, one does not have to take upon him or herself extra guilt or culpability when they are undeserving of such responsibility. A driver has control over the majority of what happens when he or she is driving; however, a driver does not have complete control over every condition involved in the operation of a motor vehicle.

For example, most people do not have any control over the traction of their tires during a rainstorm. If a motor vehicle hydroplaned due to water trapped between the tire contact area and the road surface—unless of course the driver was negligent and had dangerously worn tires, speeding, or was not watching the road—it was not necessarily because the driver was being careless. The fact is, accidents do happen, however unfortunate they might sometimes be.

Respectfully,

Jason
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    When I was taking driving lessons my teacher told us that the police in Canada no longer call car crashes "accidents" because they are always caused by driver error in one way or another. They now call them "collisions". The reason for this is to educate drivers and allow them to take every precaution humanly possible in order to avoid a collision. However...until human beings are perfect, there will always be collisions on our roads. We can do everything possible to avoid them, including being perfectly alert, slowing down under bad conditions and making sure our vehicles are in perfect working order, but they will still occur. That's why there's such a thing as no fault insurance.

I'm still heaving a huge sigh of relief that tragedy was avoided, Brian. I'm really, really relieved.
    edited October 2006
    Brigid,

I must apologize because I do not wish to turn this into some sort of blame game versus zero responsibility thread; nevertheless, I have to disagree. There are many examples of accidents that do not necessarily involve driver error. Error implies that a person did something wrong. When equipment fails (such as when my father's tire fell off on I-75) and causes an accident, that is not necessarily the driver's fault; if there is unseen debris in the road which causes an accident, that is not necessarily the driver's fault, et cetera.

It is not only human beings that would have to be perfected in order to avoid collisions altogether—automobiles would have to be perfected, the weather would have to be perfected, road conditions would have to be perfected, et cetera. Perhaps Brian was driving too fast considering the adverse weather conditions; however, one does not have to be driving fast at all to hydroplane. I feel that it is unfair to make blanket statements that anyone was at fault, careless, or in error without knowing all of the relevant details.

Jason
    edited October 2006
    "Hydroplaning:

Hydroplaning occurs when a thin sheet of water gets between the road surface and a vehicle's tires, causing them to lose contact with the road. The vehicle then begins a skatinglike movement across the road. Hydroplaning can start at speeds as low as 30 miles per hour and in water little more than 1/8 inch deep.

When your speed increases, so do the chances of hydroplaning. Your ability to slow, stop, or even slow your vehicle, is greatly reduced. Once you begin to hydroplane, any sudden jerking of the wheel or even a strong gust of wind can send you into an uncontrollable skid that can result in a crash."

(from here)

Sometimes I hear Radio or TV announcers discussing accidents and pile-ups, due to fog, or rain...in most - but not all - of these cases, it could have been prevented by driver care....one condition though, that DOES leave any driver completely at the mercy of Fate (or Karma...ok, ok....let's not get pedantic here.....) is Black Ice. Hit that, and even Micahel Schumi's on the skids.....
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Sorry, Jason and all! I didn't express my point very well at all. (And this discussion obviously has very little to do with Brian's accident. I assume this is more of a theoretical discussion we're having.)

Please disregard my earlier blanket statement because it would be far more accurate to say that the majority of car collisions occur as a result of driver error, not all of them. Obviously if you're driving over or under a bridge and it collapses, as happened in Montreal a few days ago, the resulting collisions are not in any way the fault of the drivers.

I do understand how difficult it is to drive in wet weather. Canadians drive under the worst weather conditions imaginable. Driving in two inches of snow is very different for a driver in a warm climate who isn't used to it than it is for the average Canadian who was probably trained on icy, slushy, snowy roads often under blizzard conditions where visibility is almost nil. My point was that if the police in Canada have stopped calling car collisions "accidents" after having to deal with them day in and day out and having these collisions occur under the conditions they do, they're saying that there are things one can do in order to prevent a collision. They are actually empowering the driver by putting the ability to avoid collisions in their hands by using skills and intelligence. I wanted to illustrate the empowering aspect of the police's decision and used exaggeration to make my point. Sorry! Thanks for calling me on it, Jason.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Black ice sucks so much I can't even express it! I truly despise it! It scares the hell out me but we're constantly being told every winter up here that you can reduce your chances of a crash considerably if you slow right down under those conditions. But when it decides to take you down, you go down. Damn that black ice! So scary. I've done 360s on highways because of it and I've been in a few cars as a passenger when we've done 360s because of it. It comes out of nowhere! It's brutal.

My second to last accident felt like pure boomerang karma, although I've recently read there's no such thing. I was in an absolute furry at my mother and we we're fighting while I was driving in a blizzard. Missed the stop sign and went into the guardrail at 40kpm which held, thank everything, because the drop beyond would have killed us. We didn't really hit very hard, not enough for the airbags to inflate, but the dumb car crumbled. It was a piece of s%*t. No injuries and insurance paid for the car so I wasn't out any money but I'll never, ever forget the sick panic I felt when I wasn't sure if I'd hurt my mother or not. Hurting my mother would have driven me insane with grief and guilt. I was a MUCH better driver after that incident.

The condition I disliked the most was heavy rain on the highway because the stretch I had to take to get to work was heavy with transport trucks and being behind a transport when it's teeming with rain can be pretty stressful. ZERO visibility. Scary. Oh, and fog. Don't like driving in fog! Love how fog looks and feels but not when I'm driving.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Yes, I'm happy to hear that you are alright.

My last car accident was while I was stopped on the freeway due to construction. A lady in a big ole circa 1970's pickup truck never even saw the stopped traffic. I was the last in line, thus the first to be hit - when she was doing about 60.

Five of us were towed away and the only thing I got out of my mouth right before I saw she wasn't going to stop was "Oh Sh"BANG.

Now you get the pleasure of dealing with insurance and hobbling around town until you get a new car.

What joy.

-bf
    edited October 2006
    Brigid,

There is no need for you to apologize. I am simply expressing my own viewpoints regarding accidents. I agree that accidents are due to driver error the majority of the time (all of my accidents that involved other people were my fault), but I also understand that everything is not under the driver's control. My reaction was simply in response to the idea that somebody must have been at fault in this situation, and that the person who initially lost control of his or her vehicle (Brian) must accept the blame.

Jason
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2006
    I believe that the fault lies much further back: with the decision to use wheels for vehicles! Karma is long and the matrix of dependent co-arising complex beyond our understanding.

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Okay, cool Jason. I see where you're coming from. I would hate for Brian to be thinking that he had to accept some sort of blame (yuck. not a good word...) while he was still recovering from the shock of the whole thing and also while he had to deal with the insurance crap. Yes, there are times when accepting responsibility is important, depending on the circumstances. But it's also important to remember that these things happen, even when we've taken every precaution to avoid them. And when we're trying to get over the initial shock of something as harrowing as what Brian went through, a healthy dose of philosophical thinking would probably be a little more helpful at this time than torturing ourselves about what we may have done wrong or what we could have done differently to avoid it. As you said, sometimes these things are out of our hands. Sometimes they aren't. But I sure would like to give Brian a bug, gentle hug and be very grateful that he came through it relatively unscathed. What Fede said is such a good thing to remember; a car is just a hunk of metal and can be replaced but nothing, and I mean nothing, could ever replace Brian.

So Brian, consider this a great big, gentle hug full of warmth and gratitude that you're still with us and in one piece.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    I believe that the fault lies much further back: with the decision to use wheels for vehicles! Karma is long and the matrix of dependent co-arising complex beyond our understanding.

LOL!! Very true!
  • edited October 2006
    Wow, Brian, I am so glad you and the other driver are ok. That must have been scary!
  • edited October 2006
    Brian wrote:
    Very wet and rainy day in the metro detroit area. At 10:20 AM EST this morning, I spun out on a major expressway (I 94), slid across three lanes of traffic facing the opposite direction, and in the left lane, got into a head on collision with an oncoming car.

My truck (94 Jeep Cherokee) is totalled. The guy's car is totalled. No one was killed or seriously injured. We're both sore.

Yay!

This is the first accident I've ever had where it has been "my fault" - Even though I didn't really screw up, I just lost control of the car on wet slippery pavement.. Thankfully, nobody got killed.

I really thought I was going to die. I felt the jeep tipping, and I thought for sure I was gonna roll it. I was sure of it.

Brian,

I am sorry to read of your accident. I am glad, though, that no one was seriously injured. Take care of yourself, now.

Adiana:hair: :usflag:
  • edited October 2006
    Brian wrote:

I've spun out, before but didn't end up in a collision.
    Glad to hear from you so soon. Best wishes to you.

Steve
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited October 2006
    I hope you're doing okay. Did you have a seatbelt bruise, too?