Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A book on the Life of the Buddha

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
Hi everyone! Happy Friday :thumbsup:

So I've read heaps of books on the teachings of the Buddha but I have felt the urge lately to read a book about the life of the man himself.

Can I anyone recommend a book that covers the life of the Buddha before and after enlightenment? Something that gives a feel for what India was like at the time he lived.

Thanks! :om:

Comments

• jlljll Veteran
    see this too,

Jeffrey
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2013
    The Life of the Buddha: According to the Pali Canon by Bhikkhu Nanamoli is one of the better ones. Piyadasa Thera's The Buddha, His Life & Teachings is OK too. And for a more poetic biography, there's Asvaghosa's Buddhacarita.
    riverflow
  • Jason said:

The Life of the Buddha: According to the Pali Canon by Bhikkhu Nanamoli is one of the better ones. Piyadasa Thera's The Buddha, His Life & Teachings is OK too. And for a more poetic biography, there's Asvaghosa's Buddhacarita.

Which one will tell me about him pre enlightenmnt?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I believe they all do.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2013
    Well, each has a bit about the Buddha's life prior to becoming a wander ascetic, and two of them are available free online. The gist of the story, however, is that the Buddha, whose given name was Siddhattha Gotama, lived a life of relative luxury, as his father, King Suddhodana, was either a king or prominent leader in charge of a large tribal confederacy. Whatever the case, the idea is that they were from a wealthy and respected family, and as the first born son, the Buddha was expected to be his father's heir and succeed him as the head of the Sakya clan.

Accounts differ as to certain details, but the general consensus is that the Buddha's mother, Queen Maya, died just after childbirth, and the Buddha was raised by his mother's younger sister, Pajapati, who married his father after her sister's death. His father, fearing predictions by brahmin scholars that his son would either become a great leader or holy man, did everything he could to make sure that his son would follow in his footsteps, giving him anything he desired and keeping him sheltered from the outside world. At the age of about 16, his father arranged a marriage between him and Yasodhara, a cousin of the same age from another prominent family.

Together, they lived a royal lifestyle for a number of years, and eventually conceived a child. However, becoming increasingly restless and dissatisfied with worldly life, the Buddha began to contemplate the nature of human suffering and was overcome by an overwhelming desire to seek a way to conquer ageing, sickness, and death. At the age of 29, near or at the time of his son's birth, the Buddha decided to renounce the worldly life and set out in search of an end to suffering as a wandering mendicant, a goal he's said to have achieved 6 years later. (In most traditional accounts, the Buddha's spiritual restlessness is said to have been the result of seeing an old man, a sick man, and a corpse during a chariot ride through the country, while his decision to leave the worldly life behind was inspired by the sight of a wandering ascetic.)

His path to awakening began by studying with two ascetic teachers, where he practiced meditative techniques leading to the development of the third and fourth 'formless meditations' (arupa-jhanas), respectively, as well as other ascetic practices such as relying on alms. Unsatisfied with results under these teachers, however, who took their respective meditative states as the supreme goal, he set out with five other ascetics to practice even more extreme austerities in the hopes of subduing his passions and finding a permanent end to suffering, such as subsisting on a handful of food or less a day. His self-mortification is said to have been unrivalled among his companions, nearly starving himself in the process. But this, too, he found unsatisfactory.

He began taking food again, which caused his fellow ascetics to abandon him. Reassessing his path, he decided to take a moderate or 'middle' approach, avoiding the indulgences of his youth and the extreme asceticism he barely survived. He continued to explore meditation, and it was through a combination of developing the first four jhanas together with cultivating insight, directing the mind towards penetrating with discernment 'knowledge and vision of things as they are present' (yatha-bhuta-nana-dassana), that finally lead to the Buddha's awakening (MN 36, SN 12.23), which is synonymous with nibbana (unbinding)—the end of suffering; the extinction of craving (tahna) (AN 10.60); and the extinguishing of greed, hatred, and delusion (SN 38.1).

After his awakening experience, the Buddha set out into the world and began teaching whoever would listen, starting with his five former companions and including his family, until his death some 45 years later. Throughout this narrative, there are many miraculous tales surrounding the Buddha's life, some of which are admittedly hard to swallow, such as the story of the Buddha taking seven steps and speaking after his birth.

While many see these fantastic events as something to either be 100% believed or rejected, I see them as being full of rich symbolism and meant more as teaching aids than events we're required to accept as literal occurrences, or else later additions and/or exaggerations attempting to essentially deify the Buddha, potentially in an effort to compete with rival schools, as well as teachers from other sects. It should also be noted that a lot of the Buddha's pre-awakening biographical information comes from much later sources, and many were probably co-opted from other places and myths, such as the biography of Mahavira.

I speculate that nobody really thought those kinds of deals were important at the beginning. The Buddha was most likely a skilled and gifted teacher, and his teachings and presence were enough to inspire confidence in his followers. After the Buddha's death, however, his followers may have felt the need to talk him up a bit in order to compete with the claims of other sects and their founders, not only to make themselves feel better but to help gain adherents by illustrating the Buddha's greatness and wisdom. And since they didn't have much to go on a generation or so later, they lifted some of the details from other sources, eventually creating an amalgamation of facts and legends that became the Buddha's biography.

That, or the historical Buddha never existed and was himself just a legend. But I personally don't think that's the case. I tend to think there was someone like the Buddha, and I agree with Prof. Gombrich that, "the central part of the [Pali] Canon... presents such originality, intelligence, grandeur and - most relevantly - coherence, that it is hard to see it as a composite works" (Theravada Buddhism, p. 20), meaning its consistency of content suggests a large portion of it likely originated from a single source (which we give the label 'Buddha') rather than multiple ones over a relatively long period of time.
    riverflowStraight_Manbanned_crabBunks
  • yeah i just wanted to know about his struggles before enlightenment to see if it relates to myself. Im reading the Pali Canon one, hopefuly it fullfills my needs
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Thanks @Jason, @jll
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

yeah i just wanted to know about his struggles before enlightenment to see if it relates to myself. Im reading the Pali Canon one, hopefuly it fullfills my needs

That's what you don't get.

If you read, absorb. learn about, come to understand and accept the Four Noble Truths, you will quickly appreciate that all struggles, all human beings experience, are 'related to' the struggles Siddhatta experienced prior to his search for The Truth.

The Four Noble Truths unite us all.
    no one human being, is different to another, in their experience of those truths.

That's what you need to really, really understand......

Bunksriverflow
  • Deepak Chopra has an interesting novel out about the Buddha. He said he used fiction to try and get a feel for what it may have been like for Siddhartha.

I found the book to be a good read and I think the author accomplished what he was trying to do.
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    charirama said:

Deepak Chopra has an interesting novel out about the Buddha. He said he used fiction to try and get a feel for what it may have been like for Siddhartha.

I found the book to be a good read and I think the author accomplished what he was trying to do.

Thanks @charirama. Do you remember what it was called? Sounds interesting.

• Two books:
    The Historical Buddha by H. W. Schumann. A classic.
    Lives: Buddhaby Karen Armstrong. Anything by Armstrong is worth reading. Another of hers which puts the life of the Buddha in a world context is The Great Transformation: The World in the Time of Buddha, Socrates, Confucius and Jeremiah.
    Bunks
  • I think Old Path White Clouds contains info about Buddha's life. Don't quote me on that as I am forgetful.
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    edited October 2013
    I liked Stephen Batchelor's reconstruction from the Pali Suttas in "Confessions of a Buddhist Atheist"-- it is a historical type Buddha. Batchelor treats the most famous story (a pampered, sheltered prince) as a jataka tail. The story reconstructed from the Suttas paint a picture of a college educated nobleman who lived in a violent and dangerous world, with Game of Throne's like politics (confusing and full of scheming, amoral nobles-- many of whom the Buddha had to get along with or else his Sangha wouldn't get the state support necessary to exist at all.).

Martine Batchelor-- The Spirit of the Buddha also has a different historically informed story of the Buddha-- a guy who was married as a teenager, got a family life he never asked or wanted and may have stuck around at home just long enough to see his child off. (Stephen's version was that the Buddha may have been off at Taxila University for the duration of his marriage and may have only visited home to conceive a child who he expected to be raised by his extended family). In both cases, this is an ancient and alien (to me) family system.

riverflow
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    As more a secular Buddhist, I wanted to read Batchelor, so I ordered one of his books. It arrived. I set it aside until I had finished another book. It is nowhere to be found. I have turned the house upside down looking for it more than once. An omen? :D
    riverflow