Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Arhats Still Conscious After Parinirvana?

edited October 2013 in Philosophy
Are there any sutras that indicate that arhats are still conscious after parinirvana? Can they communicate with other beings such as Buddhas, bodhisattvas, devas, etc?

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2013
    Yes, in a sense. In Mahayana, those who have attained nirvana (arhats) are still said have work to do. This idea originates from certain Mahayana texts such as the Saddharmapundarika Sutra, where the arhat is said not to have reached final nirvana. Essentially, they're seen as being intoxicated with the 'bliss of the samadhi of cessation' and not the nirvana or level of awakening that's attained by a fully enlightened buddha. Just how conscious they are in this state, however, I don't know, but it doesn't seem like it's an active state of consciousness.

According to this particular sutra, it's said that buddhas are able to awaken these individuals from their temporary cessation in order for them to continue towards complete buddhahood, which is characterized by omniscience. This is said to be due to buddhahood being the result of wisdom and merit accumulation and not just the eradication of afflictions (which isn't too different from Theravada sans the ability to awaken arhats bit).

It should be noted that there aren't any suttas in the Pali Canon that explicitly acknowledge this, although there's some debate over the meaning of the term 'vinnanam anidassanam' found in places like DN 11. The commentarial traditional of Theravada takes the position that there's no consciousness component in parinibbana after the death of an arahant, pointing to this passage from DN 11, "There 'name-and-form' are wholly destroyed. With the cessation of consciousness this is all destroyed" (Walshe trans.). Thanissaro Bhikkhu has another take on it, however.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited October 2013
    hi,

Logically people have different opinions on what parinirvana is like, so I will share only my view. For clarity, parinirvana is after the death of an arahant. From Theravada perspective Buddha was also an arahant, he was simply the first. So there is no difference between buddha and arahant from that point of view.

So that aside, to know what ends at parinirvana is to look at the four noble truths. This is basically what everything in Buddhism always comes back to. Then in the suttas you will find things like the quote below many times. I numbered the four noble truths, which are (1) suffering, (2) the origin of suffering, (3) the cessation of suffering and (4) the path towards the cessation of suffering.
    "He discerns (1) consciousness, (2) the origination of consciousness, the (3) cessation of consciousness, (4) the path of practice leading to the cessation of consciousness. He discerns the allure of consciousness, the drawback of consciousness, and the escape from consciousness.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.057.than.html
    So what it says here is that we have to understand suffering, we have to understand how consciousness is suffering and how the escape from consciousness is not suffering. :) This is not easy to see as one easily gets attached to consciousness (called allure in the quote) and thinks that parinirvana must be a conscious experience in order for it to be the greatest happiness.

But if you see consciousness as empty of a self being, there is no need to keep it alive and there is no need for attachment. Because there is no attachment, consciousness is not grasped at death, and so it goes out. Just like the rest of an enlightened being does. In fact, it's kind of silly to try and describe a being after parinirvana as we also see in quotes like this:
    And suppose someone were to ask you, 'This fire that has gone out in front of you, in which direction from here has it gone? East? West? North? Or south?' Thus asked, how would you reply?"

"That doesn't apply, Master Gotama. Any fire burning dependent on a sustenance of grass and timber, being unnourished — from having consumed that sustenance and not being offered any other — is classified simply as 'out' (unbound)."

(even so) Any consciousness by which one describing the Tathagata would describe him: That the Tathagata has abandoned, its root destroyed, made like a palmyra stump, deprived of the conditions of development, not destined for future arising.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.072.than.html
    With metta,
    Sabre
    riverflowupekkaEvenThirdSilouan
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    I think that's a good answer, @Sabre. It reminds me of my general answer to the question, Does the Tathagata exist after death?
    Sabre
  • I've been toying with this question for long, but I can't say I've found any answer. I've read explanations, but they leave me more confused. I just don't get it - if there is no consciousness after death, then it is like nihilism. But if there is, it will be a conditioned state. So what is one to make of it?
  • This is a description of the event in the sutta which is quite clear on what happens.
    "Just as an oil lamp burns in dependence on oil & wick; and from the termination of the oil & wick — and from not being provided any other sustenance — it goes out unnourished; in the same way, when sensing a feeling limited to the body, he discerns that 'I am sensing a feeling limited to the body.' When sensing a feeling limited to life, he discerns that 'I am sensing a feeling limited to life.' He discerns that 'With the break-up of the body, after the termination of life, all that is sensed, not being relished, will grow cold right here.'"

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn36/sn36.007.than.html
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited October 2013
    betaboy said:

I've been toying with this question for long, but I can't say I've found any answer. I've read explanations, but they leave me more confused. I just don't get it - if there is no consciousness after death, then it is like nihilism. But if there is, it will be a conditioned state. So what is one to make of it?

It is said that nihilism is the closest of all views to the Buddhadhamma. As they say - Close but no cigar.
    Both eternalism & nihilism are views that revolve around 'self', which is "I will exist forever" and "I will cease after death"

The Buddha said the nihilists had views that were closest to the Buddha-Dhamma .

The Buddhist teaching of anatta and the nature of is very close to annhilationism, that's why you can find so much praise for the annhilationists in the Suttas, the Buddha called them the holders of 'the foremost of outside viewpoints' because: "they already have revulsion towards existence and non revulsion towards the cessation of existence, so when the Dhamma is taught to them for the cessation of existence they do not recoil from it".

Eg.

"With regard to those brahmans & contemplatives who are of the view, of the opinion, that 'All is pleasing to me': That view of theirs is close to being impassioned, close to bondage, close to delighting, close to holding, close to clinging. With regard to those brahmans & contemplatives who are of the view, of the opinion, that 'All is not pleasing to me': That view of theirs is close to not being impassioned, close to non-bondage, close to not-delighting, close to not-holding, close to not-clinging."

Dighanaka Sutta

The supreme view-point external [to the Dhamma] is this: 'I should not be; it should not occur to me; I will not be; it will not occur to me.' Of one with this view it may be expected that '[the perception of] unloathsomeness of becoming will not occur to him, and [the perception of] loathsomeness of the cessation of becoming will not occur to him.' And there are beings who have this view. Yet even in the beings who have this view there is still aberration, there is change. Seeing this, the instructed disciple of the noble ones grows disenchanted with that. Being disenchanted with that, he becomes dispassionate toward what is supreme, and even more so toward what is inferior.

Kosala Sutta

"He discerns, as it actually is, that 'form will stop being' ... 'feeling will stop being' ... 'perception will stop being' ... 'fabrications will stop being' ... 'consciousness will stop being.'

"From the stopping of form, from the stopping of feeling ... of perception ... of fabrications ... of consciousness, a monk set on this — 'It should not be, it should not occur to me; it will not be, it will not occur to me' — would break the [five] lower fetters."

"Lord, a monk set on this would break the [five] lower fetters. But for one knowing in what way, seeing in what way, is there the immediate ending of fermentations?"

"There is the case where an uninstructed run-of-the-mill person ... falls into fear over what is not grounds for fear. There is fear for an uninstructed run-of-the-mill person [who thinks], 'It should not be, it should not occur to me; it will not be, it will not occur to me.' But an instructed disciple of the noble ones does not fall into fear over what is not grounds for fear. There is no fear for an instructed disciple of the noble ones [who thinks], 'It should not be, it should not occur to me; it will not be, it will not occur to me.'

Udana Sutta SN 22.55
    riverflowSabre
  • I think that after Buddha hood there are qualities such as love and compassion that are free to act in the world. I don't know about life after death for non-arhats let alone arhats.
    EvenThirdlobster
  • Jeffrey said:

I think that after Buddha hood there are qualities such as love and compassion that are free to act in the world. I don't know about life after death for non-arhats let alone arhats.

:clap:

Less of a call for reconstruction, apart from that the same rot.

Generating the positive qualities in the knowable existence is a far more constructive use of time for Arhats and the hatless. :ninja:
  • Between the two extremes of annihilationism and eternalism the Buddha was far more critical of the former, and it is not difficult to see why.

In annihilationism the self correlates directly with the physical body, and happiness is then to be found in fulfilling one's sensual desires. It rejects continuity after death, so one's present existence is seen entirely due to fortuitous circumstances, and this encourages living a life lacking moral responsibility because there is no accountability beyond this temporary life.

The Buddha, in the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta, refers to the annihilationist extreme as base and vulgar, which he does not when referring to eternalism, and in the Yamaka Sutta annihilationism is described as an evil supposition.

Since the Buddha taught an ethical way of life as the foundation for a happy life he was more sympathetic to eternalism, because it does not lead to a collapse of the moral life and in emphasizing continuity after death actually encourages accountability for one's actions.
    riverflow
  • I think one of the factors that make nibbana and parinibbana difficult to grasp is the embellishments of core doctrines attributed to later forms of Buddhism, and it is these later forms that we are most familiar with in the west.

I'm not saying these embellishments are correct or incorrect, but the introduction of things that have become over emphasized, like a nature or ground of existence, for instance, seems to inadvertently suggest a notion of an over-self as a replacement to a self, which is probably not the intention, but if one has a strong inclination for a belief in a self then perhaps mistaking this nature or ground as an over-self is understandable, as this is a very subtle shift in self-identification and therefore difficult to discern. However, any identification, even with this over-self, would be another form of atta and therefore could be considered another variation of eternalism.

On pages 20-21 in Volume one of Handful of Leaves, Thanissaro Bhikku offers the following counsel:

"Finally, although the Deathless is sometimes called consciousness without feature, without end, it is not to be confused with the formless stage of concentration called the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness. One of the main differences between the two is that the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness is fabricated and willed (see MN 140). The element of will, though, can be very attenuated while one is in that dimension, and only discernment at an extremely subtle level can ferret it out.

One way of testing for it is to see if there is any sense of identification with the knowing. If there is, then there is still the conceit of I-making and my-making applied to that state. Another test is to see if there is any sense that the knowing contains all things or is their source. If there is, then there is still fabrication in that state of mind, for when the Deathless is fully comprehended the sense of unrestricted awareness as containing or acting as the source of other things is seen to be an ignorant conceit."

"There is the case, monks, where an uninstructed run-of the- mill person ... perceives Unbinding as Unbinding. Perceiving Unbinding as Unbinding, he conceives things about Unbinding, he conceives things in Unbinding, he conceives things coming out of Unbinding, he conceives Unbinding as 'mine,' he delights in Unbinding. Why is that? Because he has not comprehended it, I tell you....

"A monk who is a Worthy One, devoid of mental fermentations-who has attained completion, finished the task, laid down the burden, attained the true goal, destroyed the fetters of becoming, and is released through right knowledge ... directly knows Unbinding as Unbinding. Directly knowing Unbinding as Unbinding, he does not conceive things about Unbinding, does not conceive things in Unbinding, does not conceive things coming out of Unbinding, does not conceive Unbinding as 'mine,' does not delight in Unbinding. Why is that? Because he has comprehended it, I tell you."

MN 1
    riverflowpegembara
  • The overself is not as simple as that name engenders. I recommend Progressive Stages of Meditation on Emptiness to understand.

• "He discerns, as it actually is, that 'form will stop being' ... 'feeling will stop being' ... 'perception will stop being' ... 'fabrications will stop being' ... 'consciousness will stop being.'

"From the stopping of form, from the stopping of feeling ... of perception ... of fabrications ... of consciousness, a monk set on this — 'It should not be, it should not occur to me; it will not be, it will not occur to me' — would break the [five] lower fetters."

"Lord, a monk set on this would break the [five] lower fetters. But for one knowing in what way, seeing in what way, is there the immediate ending of fermentations?"

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.055.than.html
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited October 2013
    Silouan said:

Between the two extremes of annihilationism and eternalism the Buddha was far more critical of the former, and it is not difficult to see why.

A view of eternalism might lead to more morality for some people, but it can also lead to attachment. From that perspective it is also something to be critical about and the Buddha does it in many places.

And in other cases, as pegembara said, he praises annihilism as the 'foremost outsiders view' because it is easier to become detached from things you know will end, and attachment/craving is less likely to occur. In other words, somebody who thinks it all ends at death will be less scared of an idea of cessation.
    “Bhikkhus, of the speculative views held by outsiders, this is the foremost, namely: ‘I might not be and it might not be mine; I shall not be, and it will not be mine.’ For it can be expected that one who holds such a view will not be unrepelled by existence and will not be repelled by the cessation of existence.

http://suttacentral.net/an10.29/en/
    So I think it's to easy to say he was more critical of one view than the other. Both may have good and bad side effects, but in the end both are still wrong.
  • betaboy said:

I've been toying with this question for long, but I can't say I've found any answer. I've read explanations, but they leave me more confused. I just don't get it - if there is no consciousness after death, then it is like nihilism. But if there is, it will be a conditioned state. So what is one to make of it?

Yes, this is how I feel, too. Without consciousness, one might as well be non-existent and that seems nihilistic.

• The question is, are any of us consicous before parinirvana?

Consciouness is caused by ignorance. - 12 links of interdependant origination.

Consciousness is nothing but a stream of mind moments conected together by awareness. Consciousness ceases at enlightenment because their are no past or future moments to be conscious of anymore. The gross/mundane conscousness is what we are speaking of here.

The enlightenend mind is entirely diffrent from the gross/dualizing consicousness. It is a unified, pure, all embracing, receptive whole. It has no begining (it never started). It has no end (how could it? it never started). Just because the samsaric mind stops working doesent mean the world ends. It doesent mean that once you die all goes dark and it its over. It just means you stop tricking yourself. You stop calling life good and death bad, or good good and bad bad. You dont die, because you know you've never been alive, theres no you to speak of. You dont live either because their is, again, no you.

Imagine a man whose house is robed. He was wealthy before this and the burgler stole all his wealth and burned his house to the ground. A sentient being thinks he knows how he got his wealth, and all of these possessions contain meaning and his self identity. So, naturaly the burning of the house is like a part of him has been ripped away from his body.

The arhat, on the other hand, in the same situation looks upon the house as such: sticks, bricks, dirt, plastic, metal, and thought. If he were the same as the sentient man, the arhat would weep upon the burning of a campfire, or seeing a trash heap. None of us do that. Why? Because the purpose of fire wood is heat and and comfort, the trash heap is refuse and nothing more. Yet, all that we have owned in the past is now garbage, all houses are made of wood and brick. All of that garbage was someones possessions, what changed between the store and the trash heap except decay and our own perceptions.

When one we love dies we weep, when we see a body in a grave we are disgusted. If that body were our own body and we did not know it, our disgust would not change. The fact is, that the arhat knows that one day his body will be swolen and festering with decay, the ones we love will vomit at the very sight of us. It is the same with the ones we love. The arhat knows that though our loved ones vomit upon our sight, they still love us. Just as though our loved ones turn rotten at death, we still love them. What they love is not the body, what they love is not the mind. They love us as we are, though body and mind change, grow old, sick and die. Thus upon death the arhat has peace. He is thus come, thus gone, neither arising nor ceasing, neither defiled nor pure.

Gate Gate Paragate, Parasamgate, Bodhi, Svha!
  • Sorry my posts are so darn long. It is difficult to be concise and accurate.... Or.... accurate at all

Thank you for the opportunity to practice. Forgive me my offenses, if i made them, they are not intentional.

Blessings and Peace
    Alex
  • Blessings and Peace
    sounds like Paranirvana to me . . . :clap: