Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Where to start

edited October 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Hi, my name is Andrea, I'm a mommy, a wife and a full time student. I am very interested in learning about buddhism. I currently have no religion; it hasn't always been that way though. I bought a book called the Essential Dalai Lama and love what I have read so far. The reason why I am so interested in Buddhism is because I want to raise my son believing in something. He's one year old now and when he starts asking questions I want to have some answers for him, but I refuse to teach him something I don't believe, and that is why I seperated from the church I was raised. I want my son to learn about tolerance of others and respect everything that lives. My husband is also interested in Buddhism. We think learning about Buddhism and maybe becoming Budhists (after learning of course) might be the best for our family, so my question is, where should we start?
Thank's in advance for listening :)

Comments

• not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited October 2006
    A decent place to start is www.buddhanet.net. They have a lot of good articles & multimedia.

Here is their Basic Buddhism Guide.

Here is their Buddhist Center directory for Oregon.

Here is their meditation link.

Here is a their Audio page.

There is a lot of other stuff on the site, but I figure this is more than enough for you to get started on your research/studies. Hope this helps

_/\_
    metta
  • edited October 2006
    Hi Andrea,
    Welcome!!! Your son is adorable!!!!!!

The 1st book I ever read about Buddhism was a great layman's book. Very easy to understand. I believe the name of it was........OPEN HEART OPEN MIND
  • edited October 2006
    Andrea,

Welcome! Your little one is so precious!

Adiana:wavey: :usflag:
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Also, you may want to check out the recommended reading thread:
    http://www.newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14

It's got a lot of good book suggestions.

_/\_
    metta

P.S.-Welcome to the board!!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2006
    Andrea,

I find it difficult to give someone a single resource in which to get a quick overview of the Buddha's teachings while still managing to convey the depth and profundity of them as well. Nevertheless, we all must start somewhere. Concerning online resources, I would advise Access to Insight—especially their section for suggested entry points to their site entitled Beginnings; concerning books, I would advise Bhikkhu Bodhi's In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon. I hope that you find both of these suggestions helpful.

Regards,

Jason
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Hi Andrea,

I don't know where in Oregon you are, but if you're around Ashland you might want to visit Tashi Choling. It's run by one of my own teachers, Ven. Gyaltrul Rinpoche, although he doesn't teach much anymore as he's getting pretty old.
    http://www.tashicholing.org

As for books to read, there's a million of 'em, of course, but a few of my favorites include:

What the Buddha Taught by Walpole Rahula (great for the basics)

The Myth of Freedom by Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche

The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche (I can't tell you how many people I've met who entered Buddhism by reading this book)

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki Roshi

And of course almost anything by the Dalai Lama, such as A Simple Path: Buddhist Teachings by His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Palzang

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited October 2006
    Welcome aboard Andrea. Your story sounds exactly like mine (and my wife's) about five years ago :D

Your baby is, of course, adorable, but I must warn you - at some point they turn into little people that like to fart and burp and laugh about it. It's still precious, but sometimes can be pretty trying :D
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2006
    Actually, I think the avatar IS Andrea..... Start 'em young, that's what I say!

Andrea, loads of good pointers and suggestions here, bu the simple answer is that, if ever you have any questions - ask!

Please never think they are dumb, or that it's silly you asking them, or that you might be a nuisance, or that you don't want to bother us with trivia.... That's what we're here for.
    This is a New Buddhist site - your Sangha - your community - of like-minded people, all also walking their way, asking questions, finding our path.... And I can tell you now, any answers you receive to one question will all vary slightly, as perspectives do... Everyone will be honest, sincere and loving, and answer you as best they can - but they'll all be slightly different, and it will be up to you to see which particular point of view resonates with you.... But be Open. Open to change, to development, to growth. Open to challenges, teachings and lessons which will be fun, difficult, trying but always educational.

Enjoy your trip... fall into step beside us, and welcome to the walk!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Hello, Andrea. Good to meet you. Welcome to this good place.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Hi, Andrea. Welcome!

What a gorgeous picture of your baby boy!

The suggestions that Not1, Elohim and Palzang gave are a great place to start and you'll probably be busy with those for a while.

I'd also echo what Fede said; never be afraid to ask a question, no matter what it is. This is a really wonderful place, full of resources and people who will be happy to share anything they've learned with you. I can't tell you how much I've learned from this site and how much I've grown to love this sangha. They've been my soft place to fall many times and they've picked me up, dusted me off and restored my faith and hope in humanity with their empathy and loving kindness and sent me back out to face the world again with courage and, I hope, compassion.

So I welcome you with open heart and hope you have as wonderful a time here as I have.

Brigid
  • edited October 2006
    Thank's everyone, you all are very nice! I will be doing a lot of reading and will try to log on here often. :) and thank's for the compliments it is my baby in the avatar haha He's name is Eric Daniel and he turned 1 on saturday.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Shalom, Andrea! He's really cute! :rockon:
    edited October 2006
    Andrea,

Unable to sleep, I get up and see that it is 4 a.m. My body ('Brother Donkey') is uncomfortable and my mind unsettled. So I sit and find the silence behind the discomfort and the unease. It is the only place to start: where I am.

Please check out the links these wise friends have given you. Find out more about the Buddha; study the Dharma and experience the Sangha. Establish yourself in a practice, with regularity and commitment. Take one step at a time.

The old saying goes that there is no time like the present. Wisdom and compassion show us that there is no time but the present.

Above all - and it is so obvious that it sometimes disappears from view - hold to the truth that the place to start, the perfect and the only place to start, is where you are, right here, right now.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    That was beautiful, Simon. Mind if I save it?
    edited October 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    That was beautiful, Simon. Mind if I save it?

I should be honoured, Brigid.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Wonderful. Thanks, Simon. If I use it off the board I'll be sure to use your name, as in: "My friend Simon puts it this way..."
    edited October 2006
    The honour is doubled, my dear.
  • edited October 2006
    Thank you Simon, you are right, the time is now, and that really was beautiful.
  • edited October 2006
    Wonderful Simon, well said, just perfect........ mind if I quote you too?
  • edited October 2006
    Hi Andrea,

I don't know where in Oregon you are, but if you're around Ashland you might want to visit Tashi Choling. It's run by one of my own teachers, Ven. Gyaltrul Rinpoche, although he doesn't teach much anymore as he's getting pretty old. http://www.tashicholing.org

I had missed this post. I am in Winchester Bay, OR. My family and I have been here for 5 months because my husband is in the Coast Guard and we got stationed here. We are from Florida, but originally I was born in Venezuela and my husband in Brazil. I have no idea where Ashland is but I will look it up. I'D absolutely LOVE to visit where you teacher is. Thank's :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Winchester Bay isn't so far from Ashland. Just take State Route 38 to 138 to I-5 and head south. It's probably around 200 miles almost in California. Might make a nice weekend getaway. You can get local directions in Ashland on their website.

Palzang
  • edited October 2006
    Thank you, I just looked it up on mapquest, 3 and a half hours, not bad at all! I really want to go, I noticed on the website they are having an event for people that want to learn about buddhism, it is on Oct 28 and I think I can make it that day, BUT it is for meditation and as you all know I have a 1 year old and I know he will not just stay calm there, and it would probably be very direspectful to others. I know my husband wouldn't have a problem with going somewhere else with him to play while I participate in the event but I feel bad leaving him out of it because I know he'd like to participate as well.. Uhhh what do I do??? Well first of all I'd have to call tomorrow to make sure we are welcome to go anyway :)
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Oh right, so we're putting up pictures of our little ones then are we? Just watch out for Buddafoot's child-he's so cute....

although I think he looks a little cat-like and likes to put melon skins over his head. some kids are weird :zombie:
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited October 2006
    Oh by the way welcome to our sangha **Andrea** and Eric..

cheers!

P.S. Buddhafoot's child is adorable as well.
    (I was Just joking Mick).
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2006
    LIME! It's a LIME skin, for Pete's sake!! And cats really don't like it when you try to put one on their heads. And they won't speak to you for days. They may even pee in your shoes. Your favourite shoes. Man, I loved those shoes.

Thanks a LOT for the "great" idea, BF! :grumble: Boy oh BOY, do my cats ever hate you!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2006
    **Andrea** wrote:
    Thank you, I just looked it up on mapquest, 3 and a half hours, not bad at all! I really want to go, I noticed on the website they are having an event for people that want to learn about buddhism, it is on Oct 28 and I think I can make it that day, BUT it is for meditation and as you all know I have a 1 year old and I know he will not just stay calm there, and it would probably be very direspectful to others. I know my husband wouldn't have a problem with going somewhere else with him to play while I participate in the event but I feel bad leaving him out of it because I know he'd like to participate as well.. Uhhh what do I do??? Well first of all I'd have to call tomorrow to make sure we are welcome to go anyway :)

I wouldn't worry about the little one. Kids are always welcome at temples (at least the ones I've been to). They may even have some kind of daycare service available for events like that. Call and check. One thing about Tibetans, they love kids! At summer retreat with His Holiness, there's kids wandering around the temple while he's teaching, doing whatever they like, and nobody says a word. It's just part of the scene. Very Tibetan!

Palzang