Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Eternal Soul

I know many are former Christians on this forum and have noticed the term eternal soul used several times when describing Christian beliefs.

*Based upon your previous Christian beliefs what is meant by eternal and soul, and why are they used in conjunction?

*What is your critique of those previous beliefs based upon your understanding of the Dhamma?

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Raised catholic, Catholic schooI, et. I always felt eternity sounds boring, with regards to a heaven, or later on in life regarding a permanent soul.

Am i the only one who feels relief in anatta? And i cant claim to even have delved that far into it.
  • Silouan said:

*Based upon your previous Christian beliefs what is meant by eternal and soul, and why are they used in conjunction?

A soul never "dies", nor is destroyed, except if ordained by God: And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. - Matthew 10:28. So according to Jesus, God can destroy a soul. Why he would do that is beyond me. In chapter 2 of the Bhagavad Gita Krishna also speaks of the eternity and immortality of the soul. However, while common Christian belief is that souls are created at the moment of conception, Krishna says "Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor these rulers of men. Nor shall all of us cease to be hereafter."

What we were taught is that a soul is a discrete entity, having its own identity, linked to a body. Both will be joined at the general resurrection, hence the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox proscriptions on cremation. I can't speak about other denominations and churches. Based on this, it's my guess this is why Christianity does not accept rebirth or reincarnation. But therein lies the belief that the soul is eternal. In Christianity it will eventually be reunited with its body to live in eternal bliss in Heaven with God, or eternal torment in Hell, with eternal and eternity meaning no end whatsoever.
    Silouan said:

*What is your critique of those previous beliefs based upon your understanding of the Dhamma?

I don't hold with the Christian belief at all, and I'm less inclined to accept the Hindu version. Even in Hinduism, the ātman has a unique identity known as the jīva or jīvātman, the living essence of a being. This is what survives death to continue on.

I'm becoming more comfortable with what Wikipedia describes relative to Buddhism:
    Rebirth in Buddhism is the doctrine that the evolving consciousness (Pali: samvattanika-viññana)[1][2] or stream of consciousness (Pali: viññana-sotam,[3] Sanskrit: vijñāna-srotām, vijñāna-santāna, or citta-santāna) upon death (or "the dissolution of the aggregates" (P. khandhas, S. skandhas)), becomes one of the contributing causes for the arising of a new aggregation. The consciousness in the new person is neither identical nor entirely different from that in the deceased but the two form a causal continuum or stream. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebirth_(Buddhism)
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Buddhists and Christians both have their own after life dreams for ordering their respective life practices.
    Neither has anymore validity than your average new age dream interpretation book.
    MaryAnneEvenThird
  • "Eternal Soul" is just two words. And what are words? Letters, sounds and, most of all, the emotions that they evoke. Those emotions are different between different people, depending on their backgrounds and natural predispositions. Therefore, your "Eternal Soul" and my "Eternal Soul" are different, like two different letters in identical envelopes.

Maybe Buddhists don't talk about "Eternal Soul" but they do talk about "Buddha Nature". Maybe they don't talk about "Salvation" but they do talk about "Nirvana". Maybe Buddhists don't talk about "God" but they talk about "Non-Self". When I look beyond those letters and sounds, I see the same emotions. Identical letters in different envelopes.

See through the hypnosis of language that we all fall for so easily and then there's nothing to critique and nothing to debate. We are all basically the same. You have "Eternal Soul" and I have "Eternal Soul" but we call it differently.
    riverflow
  • Jayantha said:

Raised catholic, Catholic schooI, et. I always felt eternity sounds boring, with regards to a heaven, or later on in life regarding a permanent soul.

Yeah, all those fat-faced little cherubs with no bodies fluttering around warbling hosannas. And you know, harp music can get annoying. Yeesh! :lol:
    Jayantha said:

Am i the only one who feels relief in anatta? And i cant claim to even have delved that far into it.

The only thing I can't my head wrapped around is the idea that there is nothing. If there is nothing, what experiences nirvana? Sometimes I think anatta and sunyata are too closely linked with nihilsm. Something has to exist to experience nirvana.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    how said:

Buddhists and Christians both have their own after life dreams for ordering their respective life practices.
    Neither has anymore validity than your average new age dream interpretation book.

Thank you for saying this! I was about to remind folks here that of the two sets of beliefs -- soul versus no soul, as well as heaven/hell versus reincarnation/rebirth -- neither group of believers has any proof...only belief.

JainarayanCinorjer
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran

Jayantha said:

Yeah, all those fat-faced little cherubs with no bodies fluttering around warbling hosannas. And you know, harp music can get annoying. Yeesh! :lol:
    Jayantha said:

The only thing I can't my head wrapped around is the idea that there is nothing. If there is nothing, what experiences nirvana? Sometimes I think anatta and sunyata are too closely linked with nihilsm. Something has to exist to experience nirvana.
    Ah yes... And the buddha saying stuff like... If you think a person who has become awakened exists after parinibbana then you would be mistaken, if you think they do not exist then you are mistaken, if you think they both exist and not exist, then you are mistaken, if you think they neither exist or do not exist, then you are mistaken.

So then your head spins and explodes lol. Its one of those things that cannot be conceptually explained and can only be experienced by the wise. So since im not wise yet i just continue with my practice and see its benefits in my life here and now.
  • vinlyn said:

...neither group of believers has any proof...only belief.

This is something else that puzzles me: the discussions about advaita, dvaita, vishishtadvaita, Vaikuntha, Goloka... I think people follow the religions they do because a particular belief resonates with them. But to argue or debate it is silly... has anyone actually come back to say what is the correct answer? I'm really coming to believe, though old habits die hard, that what the Buddha taught is true, that mentally masturbating on these things (OK, so he didn't use that exact phrase :lol: ) does nothing to further one's enlightenment or spiritual journey. It's like keeping a cat occupied with a feather toy... a diversion or distraction. At least the feather toy is fun, the other crap gives me a headache. Now I know he was on to something.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

We were taught... that a soul is a discrete entity, having its own identity, linked to a body. Both will be joined at the general resurrection, hence the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox proscriptions on cremation. I can't speak about other denominations and churches. Based on this, it's my guess this is why Christianity does not accept rebirth or reincarnation. But therein lies the belief that the soul is eternal. In Christianity it will eventually be reunited with its body to live in eternal bliss in Heaven with God, or eternal torment in Hell, with eternal and eternity meaning no end whatsoever.

Well, not quite so —at least not essentially so:

Those schooled in Christian verse might well remember that John the Baptist was questioned as to whether he was Elijah. Arguably, one could stipulate that this was a rare exception: A singular prophet who magically disappeared with a promise of coming back again. However, that interpretation is doubtless colored by centuries of "Western" thinking, reinforced by the dicta of the Second Council of Constantinople. That sixth century council made early Christian thinkers' thoughts on the preexistence of the soul heretical. Origen was a great proponent of this idea of eternal as going both forward and into the distant past.

Nonetheless, I'm pretty much convinced that "eternal" and "eternity" are very different things. For one thing, you just cannot prove that anything will stay the same forever ("eternity"). It's just some crazy idea. Whereas I think the term "eternal" is much more elegant and even poetic. And by poetic I mean in a more exalted frame of understanding and of knowledge. To what point, then, does one use the word "eternity?"

I think consigning something to eternity is at least partly a death wish. By that I mean that resorting to such a radically unempirical idea is such a gross abstraction from any semblance of humanity or decency, that it lends itself to evil and death. On the other hand, the idea of a realm beyond purely secular time ("eternal") is experienceable and really empirically based. What we may indeed have here is an idealist/materialist antithesis: Eternal being Mind and Light and Eternity being Dead Stuff and Darkness.
    Silouan said:

"Eternal" means something quite different to the Christian mystic, "outside time," "beyond the reach of the secular," if you will. I guess for the Western mind, soul is the perceiver?

I think the more "eternal" truth of the matter for the Orthodox Christian is (in the words of the Book of Common Prayer):
    "There is one Body and one Spirit;
    There is one hope in God's call to us;
    One Lord, one Faith, one Baptism;
    One God and Father of all." -- From the 1979 BCP, Holy Baptism, pg 299

I guess my "critique" would be "It's all on what you emphasize." If one wants to teach the priority of an almost hermetically sealed individual soul, I don't believe that's a very profound interpretation of classical Christian teaching. But I do realize that there are people out there in the religion business who do oversimplify; but oversimplification is falsification and inauthentic.

The East does not believe in an individual "spiritual" soul, and I think that used to be true to an extent in Western antiquity. Look at the Latin, "Anima." The soul was something actually felt bodily, the "core." We call that the "Heart." It's what animates us, both Human and animals.

• Nirvana said:

Those schooled in Christian verse might well remember that John the Baptist was questioned as to whether he was Elijah. Arguably, one could stipulate that this was a rare exception: A singular prophet who magically disappeared with a promise of coming back again.

Ack! Yes, I forgot that part. And if I recall correctly, wasn't Herod concerned that Jesus was John the Baptist reincarnated?

Of course Erich von Däniken's explanation is that Elijah went on an extended all expenses paid vacation in outer space, and then was unceremoniously dumped off in the Judean desert (OK, I added the part about being dumped off in the desert).
    Nirvana said:

Nonetheless, I'm pretty much convinced that "eternal" and "eternity" are very different things. For one thing, you just cannot prove that anything will stay the same forever ("eternity"). It's just some crazy idea. Whereas I think the term "eternal" is much more elegant and even poetic. And by poetic I mean in a more exalted frame of understanding and of knowledge. To what point, then, does one use the word "eternity?"

When I think about it now, "I waited an eternity for the bus" does sound like punishment. I think you're right that eternal has a nicer ring. :p

• vinlyn said:

how said:

Thank you for saying this! I was about to remind folks here that of the two sets of beliefs -- soul versus no soul, as well as heaven/hell versus reincarnation/rebirth -- neither group of believers has any proof...only belief.

Buddha remembered all of his past lives if you believe that stuff. But if you had the same experience Buddha allegedly had then either past lives are real or else you are crazy.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

Buddha remembered all of his past lives if you believe that stuff. But if you had the same experience Buddha allegedly had then either past lives are real or else you are crazy.

You said it...I didn't.

:p
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    Like what *I* believe makes a difference.

Gassho :dunce:
  • I appreciate all of your responses.

Not only have I seen the term used on this forum, but also by a prominently respected American Theravada monk to explain the Dhamma.

My purpose in asking these questions is not to prove the validity of one religion over another, but rather as an opportunity to explore the possibility that perhaps from a traditional sense both Buddhism and Christianity ultimately lead one to the same experience despite the differences in language and terminology used, and without any need to use the other as form of confirmation bias.

I'm no theologian, so according to my understanding of Eastern Christian tradition is that the soul and body are not distinct unchangeable entities or beings, and man as a personal existence is not identified with either. Rather they are energies, manifestation, expressions, functions by which the personal existence of man is revealed.

Immortality is understood as a transcendence of death by means of relationship or union with God and not as some kind of survival after death.

Eternity is not limitless time but the simultaneous presence of all time within God. Man in his conditioned state experiences temporal succession as time, but can experience the eternal as an actuality in the present by means of silence and stillness through pure prayer. It is considered a gift, because it is a presence that is accessible and always personally available to man but not produced by him.
    riverflow
  • The first hit on google of 'christian negative mysticism and shentong Buddhism' gives a thesis someone did finding the similarity between *some* Buddhist sects and *some* Christian sects.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Silouan said:

My purpose in asking these questions is not to prove the validity of one religion over another, but rather as an opportunity to explore the possibility that perhaps from a traditional sense both Buddhism and Christianity ultimately lead one to the same experience despite the differences in language and terminology used, and without any need to use the other as form of confirmation bias.

Yes, I think it's possible, particularly if we're talking about mystical experience. Obviously the assumptions are different, but perhaps the experience is not dissimilar?
    riverflow
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    edited November 2013
    In Christianity, eastern as well as western, man is body+soul, not one or the other except after death (and before resurrection). But during earthly life and after resurrection in new earth, man exists as physical plus spiritual being, body AND soul.
  • Even after death the body and soul still have a connection.

Man is one essence and many persons or hypostases of essence, but what man is essentially cannot be identified with either his soul or body. They only spiritually and bodily give effect, express, and reveal the truth of man as a personal being in relation to others. This truth is not changed by birth, maturity, old age, sickness, and death.

If the soul and body in the strictest sense do exhaust what man is then what becomes of the person experiencing infirmity, injury, handicap, deformity, mental illness and so on? Are they less a person or not at all?
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    betaboy said:

In Christianity, eastern as well as western, man is body+soul, not one or the other except after death (and before resurrection). But during earthly life and after resurrection in new earth, man exists as physical plus spiritual being, body AND soul.

It seems most religions have the idea of a soul or spirit, including most of the other Dharmic religions like Hinduism. So Buddhism is quite unusual in not incorporating this idea.
  • Hello,
    what the christians define as soul as well eternal is ok. Buddhst do the same, but they call it the true self, the second self. It posses the same abilities.
    There has been a great influence of buddhism into the teaching of Jesus. I do know both sides.

sakko