Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Grandma's Experiences Leave a Mark on Your Genes

JasonJason God EmperorArrakis Moderator
edited December 2013 in Buddhism Today
From Discovery Magazine:

Turns out the idea, popularized by Lamarck, that an individual organism can pass on certain characteristics it's acquired during its lifetime to its offspring isn't so crazy after all. It's kind of wild to think that a person's experiences can be passed on though a type of genetic memory that in turn can actually condition the psychological and behavioral tendencies of their children and grandchildren. Almost like a genetic form of karma. Pretty interesting stuff.
Zeroriverflow

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Assassins creed for the win :-)
    JonathandsZero
  • Yep my mother is a really frantic and highly strung women, she always has been. I have adopt this and taken it to a new level, my sister seems to take on my dads personality more so. Also funnily enough I have my mums blue eyes and my sister has her dads brown eyes. Me and my mum are both clinically allowed medication, however due to other circumstances I guess I grew to be more of what she was and I am now what I am
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    A good example of how scientific thought evolves.
    riverflow
  • We are discussing the differences between genotypic (change through genes) and Phenotypic ( change through traits acquired through life)-Papa worked hard and got real strong and because of that his boys are real strong. I have studied genetics and Darwin and that has not been the accepted view up until quite recently. Saying it doesn't make it so. An experiment must be repeatable and it must be disprovable. Single experiments don't change centuries of careful experimentation and thought.
    Conjecture doesn't change anything except maybe a few minds. That idea is very unlikely to ever be accepted science.

Of course we are a lot like our parents for phenotypic and genotypic reasons. That doesn't mean we inherit dad's muscles because he got strong. Science evolves slowly and it should. Thought is just opinion and conjecture.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Dennis, I have studied genetics and Darwin, also...two degrees in the sciences, and in reading the article, I don't see any big issues with it. Is it refined scientific thought, perhaps not, but this is not just guessing about stuff.
    riverflow
  • I believe this study was on rats and extrapolations to humans had not been made and in fact were discouraged. It is still very interesting . Sort of like the book, "Dragons of Eden," by Carl Sagan where he talks of a monkeys which fear snakes with no apparent reason. It seems they have an innate fear, or a memory, so to speak , of the danger in snakes .
  • vinlyn said:

Dennis, I have studied genetics and Darwin, also...two degrees in the sciences, and in reading the article, I don't see any big issues with it. Is it refined scientific thought, perhaps not, but this is not just guessing about
    stuff.

well it pretty much is just guessing. there cannot be any real experimentation on this it is just too far out left. Like saying I found a genuine text that Buddha proved eating snakes was the quick way to Nirvana. Nirv what? quick, rush out and publish. You don't pass on genetic attributes because of what you did in your lifetime-acquired characteristics that is. Lamarck was way out left and that idea got dumped along with the instant nirvana, eating binge.
  • sndymorn said:

I believe this study was on rats and extrapolations to humans had not been made and in fact were discouraged. It is still very interesting . Sort of like the book, "Dragons of Eden," by Carl Sagan where he talks of a monkeys which fear snakes with no apparent reason. It seems they have an innate fear, or a memory, so to speak , of the danger in snakes .

This is reasonable and scientific. Acquired genetic characteristics are a different horse-or monkey.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Hmmm, maybe this 'experience imprint' being passed on in genes (If it is indeed real) will turn out to be a viable explanation for past life memories? who knows.... if that turns out to be the case, it will throw another monkey wrench into the whole "there is proof of reincarnation" idea.
    riverflow
  • Karma gene?
  • Jason said:

From Discovery Magazine:

Turns out the idea, popularized by Lamarck, that an individual organism can pass on certain characteristics it's acquired during its lifetime to its offspring isn't so crazy after all. It's kind of wild to think that a person's experiences can be passed on though a type of genetic memory that in turn can actually condition the psychological and behavioral tendencies of their children and grandchildren. Almost like a genetic form of karma. Pretty interesting stuff.

Some of the things we have are due to genetic factors and some to environmental factors. I would think grandmother's experiences when they affect us are environmental.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    footiam said:

Jason said:

From Discovery Magazine:

Some of the things we have are due to genetic factors and some to environmental factors. I would think grandmother's experiences when they affect us are environmental.
    Not in the way the article discusses.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    just another nuclear fusion in a test tube story
  • Yeah. Left field. It goes against the whole field and is probably just one poorly structured experiment.