Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Devotion and the pursuit of knowledge: which schools offer the best of both worlds?

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
In your opinions of course. :)

I keep it no secret that I mix Hindu and Buddhist beliefs together (much to the chagrin of a rare few). However, much akin to our fellow NewBuddhist member Jainarayan, I've gone through a bit of a metamorphosis myself.

1.) I believe in God, and I used to apply the attributes of Shiva as said God, but no longer believe such. I'm a Pan(en)theist and believe that reality as we know it (time, the universe, etc.) and beyond is God. It has no form, nor can any finite characteristics fully convey how infinite it truly is. However, I still believe in many of the Hindu deities as Dharma protectors and guardians. This also goes for Amitabha. Tara, Guan Yin, Medicine Buddha, etc.

2.) In addition to good works and compassion, I believe that the pursuit of knowledge (inner, outer, spiritual, secular) is highly important. I also believe devotion and some ritual can be beneficial as well; especially when it helps the practitioner look inwards to their (non-) self and also to look beyond their physical surroundings. This kind of devotion can range from meditation, to mantras/chants, to pujas to any of the above deities.

Based on these , what are some schools to consider? I've considered mixing Zen with my belief in God and the various protectors, but I'm not sure how compatible they would be.

Comments

• I can't think of any specific. I would try whatever is in your area and evaluate. That would be good if you want a face to face sangha.

My lama teaches a long distance course. She believes in the pursuit of knowledge, definitely. We don't study about good works, but most of the sangha would be the type of people to get involved, even though there is no training regime to develop compassion in the course I am taking. It's kind of assumed that the sangha will sort out compassion (and value it) on their own and a lot of them ask questions on their own of Lama Shenpen even if it's not strictly a part of the course.

For devotion it is all of the above. Also a relationship with the guru is pretty much the main teaching.
    DaftChrisanataman
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Jeffrey said:

I can't think of any specific. I would try whatever is in your area and evaluate. That would be good if you want a face to face sangha.

My lama teaches a long distance course. She believes in the pursuit of knowledge, definitely. We don't study about good works, but most of the sangha would be the type of people to get involved, even though there is no training regime to develop compassion in the course I am taking. It's kind of assumed that the sangha will sort out compassion (and value it) on their own and a lot of them ask questions on their own of Lama Shenpen even if it's not strictly a part of the course.

For devotion it is all of the above. Also a relationship with the guru is pretty much the main teaching.

The two in my area are a Thai Theravada monastery and a Vietnamese Mahayana (Zen and Pureland) temple.

When you say "lineage", I'm assuming you practice Vajrayana?
  • Very interesting. I came to Mahayana by way of the vedas then Vedanta then pali canons and then Suzuki and Watts. I am now and have been for over 40 years, a devoted Buddhist-mostly of the Tibetan background. St. Francis said "All saints teach the same thing" Well that same thing isn't the differences it's the samenesses.

I am saddened when I see devoted people strive with other devoted people. Surely this is only the product of the small self. I appreciate your ability to bridge the gaps.
    As in meditation there is light in the gaps between thoughts.

Your post reminds me that it is bewilderment which causes delusion. Bewilderment rises from ignorance which has 3 inter-related aspects. This is Buddhist doctrine.
    Other that the 8 fold path, the 4 noble truths and the doctrines of Samsara and Nirvana
    (the 3 ignorances), there seems very little in any disagreements worthy of debate.

Keep at it and I am sure you will get great results. The Vedanta was created by Buddhists who were hiding from the Mogul (Islamic) empire in India. They didn't want to get slaughtered. Isn't it wondrous how easily the two sisters can still join hands and make a family. I don't believe in any Gods at all or heaven or hell. I believe and my experience confirms that we are all united as one awareness separated by form. Form is always present with emptiness and together they make awareness. There is Awareness without an object. But, awareness with an object makes a game and that is fun too.

Can't we all get together and have some fun and produce some joy? Thank you for the nice proposition.
    Hamsaka
  • The two in my area are a Thai Theravada monastery and a Vietnamese Mahayana (Zen and Pureland) temple.

Did I say 'lineage' in my post? Well even if I didn't the lineage is very important because it means you have a network including a Buddhist teacher who has already walked the path.

I am in a mahayana sangha though my teacher studied mahamudra (vajryana). I am taking a very basic long distance study course. It's basic but profound and still applicable to most anyone because the course studies the nature of the mind and how we bring to bear what we need to become awakened. I haven't had any empowerments and meditation is just on breath and letting go. So I wouldn't say I practice vajrayana.

But yes lineage is very important. I transcribed some dharma talks talking about this topic but I am afraid it went in one ear and out the other. I'm a leaky cup.
    Jeffrey said:

The two in my area are a Thai Theravada monastery and a Vietnamese Mahayana (Zen and Pureland) temple.

Did I say 'lineage' in my post?

Oh my, I guess you didn't. I don't know why, but I swore I thought I saw "lineage" somewhere in your post.

My apologies. I'm just a little tired is all. It's finals week at university. :o
    David
  • I've considered mixing Zen with my belief in God and the various protectors, but I'm not sure how compatible they would be.
    A lot of Western Zen is practice based, so a Christian, Hindu or Moslem could practice many aspects of it. Sounds compatible to me. Why not check it out for a while. :wave:
    DaftChris
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    Tibetan/Vajrayana is already highly syncretic with Hinduism. More to the point, all Vajrayana Buddhism is highly syncretic with Hinduism, all of them involve rituals, some from India, some from local Tibetan (or Chinese, or Japanese, etc) customs.
    Chinese Esoteric (Hanmi, etc) is Vajrayana from the Chinese viewpoint. It's rarer/smaller in number due to some Emperor nearly exterminating the school a few hundred years ago.
    Shingon in Japan also exists & there is a lay organization whose name escapes me. I think it's smaller due to a history of elitism & the dynamics secrecy. If you need to keep secrets, it puts a brake on how many people can join the "club".

Pure Land Buddhism is the most devotion oriented of the various schools, especially Japanese Shin and Jodo Shinshu.

Zen is a single practice Japanese school that de-emphasizes the rest of Buddhist practice in favor of meditation.
  • Tibetan/Vajrayana is already highly syncretic with Hinduism. More to the point, all Vajrayana Buddhism is highly syncretic with Hinduism, all of them involve rituals, some from India, some from local Tibetan (or Chinese, or Japanese, etc) customs. ...

Pure Land Buddhism is the most devotion oriented of the various schools, especially Japanese Shin and Jodo Shinshu.

I became more drawn to Buddhism by a suggestion from someone to look into deity yoga. At the time my 'yidam' was Krishna. Of course deity yoga is a Vajrayana practice. I found that full-on Vajrayana and esoteric/tantra practice was not for me. It didn't mesh well with Hindu bhakti.

Little did I know at the time that Hinduism wasn't "doing it" for me anymore... the dogmas, rules, rituals, even, I daresay, superstitions. However, I am still drawn to the polytheistic flavor of Tibetan and Chinese Buddhism. Hence, after bouncing around, my landing into Pure Land incorporating just a few of the deities from Hinduism and Chinese Buddhism that I feel are dharmapala (I know that's primarily Tibetan usage).

So for @DaftChris, I found that Pure Land has the bhakti, devotion, but none of the baggage Hindu bhakti has. For me, as outlined in my Downsizing thread, it's become very simple:

1. Refuge; bodhisattva vow; bodhicitta prayer; prayer for all beings; dedication of merit.

2. A waaaaay scaled down home shrine, really only for mindfulness. I have a tiny "shrine" on my desk comprised of tiny statues of Amitabha Buddha, Mahasthamaprapta and Avalokiteshvara bodhisattvas for mindfulness.

3. Nianfo/nembutsu as often as I can, wherever I am, as well as my portable sadhana, which is in my computer at work. I call it up and say the prayers (I don't have them memorized just yet). Unfortunately the company takes umbrage with lighting candles and incense. :rolleyes: :D

4. I can focus on the Eightfold Path, Five Precepts, Six Perfections and other aspects of practice because the rituals and externals are absent. Strangely, as chained as I was to the externals and rituals, I have not had any trouble casting them off.

I know this sounds too much about me, but it's to share personal experiences.
    JeffreyDaftChriscvalue
  • We need a button for "i found that interesting". A button like lol, awesome, and insightful.
    BhikkhuJayasaraDaftChris
  • @DaftChris said: I've considered mixing Zen with my belief in God and the various protectors, but I'm not sure how compatible they would be.
    Pure Land would be great for you because you will be able to believe in Amitabha Buddha which is a very fortunate thing for you! Not many people are able to believe in Amitabha Buddha.

Many Chinese Buddhists combine both Zen and Pure Land in their practice. My teacher was a Zen Buddhist before converting to Pure Land.
    Thanks for the responses everyone. :)

Going over what some have said, I think I'm going to look into and research Pure Land Buddhism. I will admit, coming from Christianity, there is some spiritual baggage over the concept of a "savior" figure, but I'll still give it a chance. It's just another attachment to overcome. :) Besides, there are many interpretations of what exactly Amitabha and the Pure Land are.

I've also considered looking into Zen; specifically Ch'an. As, while meditation is still it's focus, Ch'an is pretty syncretic at it's core and has some ritual and (slight?) devotional aspects. At least from my understanding.
  • cvalue said:

Not many people are able to believe in Amitabha Buddha.

Why is that?
    By the way, not that it really matters, the Hindu deities I believe to be Dharma protectors (but not supreme) are Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva, Hanuman, Ganesha, Narasimha and Saraswati.

Just figured I would share. :D
  • DaftChris said:

I will admit, coming from Christianity, there is some spiritual baggage over the concept of a "savior" figure

I carried that baggage into Hinduism, though I didn't realize it until I dropped the baggage!

DaftChris
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    cvalue said:

@DaftChris said: I've considered mixing Zen with my belief in God and the various protectors, but I'm not sure how compatible they would be.
    Pure Land would be great for you because you will be able to believe in Amitabha Buddha which is a very fortunate thing for you! Not many people are able to believe in Amitabha Buddha.

Amithaba guides me….

• @Jainarayan,
    cvalue said:
    Not many people are able to believe in Amitabha Buddha.
    Jainarayan asked: Why is that?
    Jainarayan, more than half of people in this forum newbuddhist.com don't believe in Amitabha Buddha. Theravada Buddhists don't recognize pure land.

Even the teacher of my teacher which is the famous Chin Kung Master said when he was young, he didn't believe that Amitabha Buddha exists. But only after studying many Mahayana sutras that he knows he was wrong. Now he is very sure that Amitabha Buddha and Pure Land exist. So his conclusion is unless people study deep Mahayana sutras, they wouldn't believe because they were ignorant about this matter just like him when he was young.
  • Thanks @cvalue, now I understand. Something new to learn every day. :)
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Next stop - the pure land - then I can finally relax with a cup of green tea and apple pie, sit with a good teacher and really get into buddhism… Without this infernal suffering nonsense all around me.