Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How to develop more of an awake quality

2»

Comments

• OK, glad you found your way.
  • Yeah. Thanks for lending a helping hand. It's just a lot to ask to change my whole meditation method, my guru, and my sangha. Maybe you can help some people who are just getting started?
  • I didn't ask you to do that.
  • ok. It seemed that way.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2013
    You're frustrating to talk to about this stuff, though. You ask how things can be improved, and then when someone suggests something it keeps eventually coming down to "My teacher this" and "My teacher that." Very little of value has happened in this thread as a result, and it's not the only such thread.
  • Many posters such as Pegembra gave me great adivice that I didn't have to change my method for.

I think you were the only one who tried to get me to totally change methods.
  • Try to pay attention, simply.

Because it's a different tradition?
    fivebells said:

Enlightenment is not a Hot Dog. There's more than one way to meditate, and it's good to know multiple ways, because different techniques are appropriate for different disturbances.

You started by expressing dissatisfaction with the results of your meditation. Something ought to change... we are trying to point you at a potential direction to change in.

@fivebells is that you recorded in the hotdog link?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2013
    I like the hotdog thing. Sensitivity is probably similar to the 5 indiryas (openness, clarity, and sensitivity). The difference is my teacher shows us how to 'stop' and not open the doorway to states, whereas the hot dog guy says to tinker with the sensitivity to get a particular successful result. That is a great approach. My meditation there is no such thing as a bad meditation, though there are experiences of significance.
  • No, that is Thanissaro (also the author of the book I recommended to you upthread.) Glad you liked his talk.
  • He sounds so young. Is this the Thanissaro of the translated Pali Canon on accesstoinsight?
  • Yes, that's exactly the guy. He must be at least 60 or so, since he went to Thailand in the early 70s.
  • Jeffrey said:

Yeah. Thanks for lending a helping hand. It's just a lot to ask to change my whole meditation method, my guru, and my sangha. Maybe you can help some people who are just getting started?

Hi Jeffrey: In " The Good Heart" by the Dalai Lama, he says a Christian should just
    make the effort to be a good Christian. I think that is profound advise. Why change what is getting results for you? When you get a bad result you look for something better. Your comments and regular activity in these pages, leads me to think you are doing pretty well. We all have difficulties-keep up your meditation and develop great attachment to your Guru. Krishna used to preach the path of Bhakti-love of the Divine or Guru. That is very valuable. Best, Dennis

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

My meditation feels like it caught fire again so to speak.

Good news!
    lobster