Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mahayana, Vajrayana, Theravada - where do you sit with these schools? And why?

2»

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Chaz said:

Personally I don't think non-denominational Buddhism exists.

It's a myth. There are many Buddhist traditions, each with their own distinctive methods and assumptions. Which is fine.
    Chaz
    how said:

A denomination is just a niche of religious territory that ego's identify with.

I don't think denominations are inherently bad, the problem is sectarianism, an attitude of superiority.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran

Chaz said:

However, our's is a practice lineage and so we don't place the premium study that the Theravedins seem to.

Theravadans practice too. :p
    Oh man, i thought all we had to do was chant in pali all day, thats more fun then meditation!
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

Chaz said:

However, our's is a practice lineage and so we don't place the premium study that the Theravedins seem to.

Theravadans practice too. :p

I'm sure that's true.

After all, they can't be researching the Pali and quoting it chapter/verse online all the time.
  • My Vietnamese friend told me about a Vietnamese branch of Buddhism called "Hoa Hao Buddhism".

Here are some modifications advocated by Hoa Hao Buddhism:

- No pagodas or statues should be built besides the existing ones. Instead, let us reserve our money to come to the assistance of the poor and the needy, a really beneficial act unlike building a large pagoda or casting tall statues.
    - Let us not require the services of sorcerers, magicians, astrologers, and fortune-tellers. Let us not offer food as offerings to Buddha because Buddha would never accept such bribery.
    - Let us do away with flags, banners or streamers. Let us not burn votive paper because this is a futile waste...
    - Let us not cry or conduct expensive funerals; instead let us pray quietly for the deliverance of the deceased person’s soul.
    - Let us not compel our children to marry the one they do not like. Let us not demand large financial gifts from the bridegroom or organize big wedding parties, because this will only impoverish ourselves.

In short, the reforms advocated by Hoa Hao Buddhism are aimed at bringing us back to the original teachings of Buddha who taught: OUR BELIEF MUST COME FROM OUR HEART. Faith is a matter of heart rather than a matter of rite and ceremony.

http://www.hoahao.org/D_1-5_2-78/

So for the Vietnameses, besides Theravada and Mahayana, there is also Hoa Hao Buddhism for the Vietnamese farmers. :)

According to my Vietnamese friend, they are not accepted by the mainstream Buddhism in Vietnam.
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    cvalue said:

My Vietnamese friend told me about a Vietnamese branch of Buddhism called "Hoa Hao Buddhism".

- No pagodas or statues should be built besides the existing ones. Instead, let us reserve our money to come to the assistance of the poor and the needy, a really beneficial act unlike building a large pagoda or casting tall statues.
    - Let us not require the services of sorcerers, magicians, astrologers, and fortune-tellers. Let us not offer food as offerings to Buddha because Buddha would never accept such bribery.
    - Let us do away with flags, banners or streamers. Let us not burn votive paper because this is a futile waste...
    - Let us not cry or conduct expensive funerals; instead let us pray quietly for the deliverance of the deceased person’s soul.
    - Let us not compel our children to marry the one they do not like. Let us not demand large financial gifts from the bridegroom or organize big wedding parties, because this will only impoverish ourselves.

In short, the reforms advocated by Hoa Hao Buddhism are aimed at bringing us back to the original teachings of Buddha who taught: OUR BELIEF MUST COME FROM OUR HEART. Faith is a matter of heart rather than a matter of rite and ceremony.

So for the Vietnameses, besides Theravada and Mahayana, there is also Hoa Hao Buddhism for the Vietnamese farmers. :)

According to my Vietnamese friend, they are not accepted by the mainstream Buddhism in Vietnam.

Interesting, but I tend to be skeptical of any person or group advocating a return to "the original teaching" of the Buddha.

cvalue
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    cvalue said:

My Vietnamese friend told me about a Vietnamese branch of Buddhism called "Hoa Hao Buddhism".

I have met Chinese Chan Buddhists who have claimed such things in Zen but say it only exists in smaller villages away the cities.
    I tend to view it as small touch of sanity, from anyone more interested in facing truth than in
    contributing to more religious hubris.
    cvalue
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Until recently Theravada though I've read a fair few Zen books. However, recently @lobster put me on to some online courses by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche and I'm now moving towards Tibetan Mahayana (Not Vajrayana as with Schizophrenia my energy systems are messed up).

Its just that after studying Rinpoche's videos and books my meditation has really started to move on. I still really enjoy studying Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Sumedho though.

@Vajraheart once told me that all turnings of the wheel of Dharma are as inherently empty as everything else. THe more I read books from different teachers and traditions the more I agree with him.
    anatamanmatthewmartin
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Until recently Theravada though I've read a fair few Zen books. However, recently @lobster put me on to some online courses by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche and I'm now moving towards Tibetan Mahayana (Not Vajrayana as with Schizophrenia my energy systems are messed up).

Its just that after studying Rinpoche's videos and books my meditation has really started to move on. I still really enjoy studying Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Sumedho though.

@Vajraheart once told me that all turnings of the wheel of Dharma are as inherently empty as everything else. THe more I read books from different teachers and traditions the more I agree with him.

That sounds really great. Everything is empty @lonely_traveller. But it's up to you to fill it to overflowing!

Gate
    Gate
    Paragate
    Parasamgate
    Bodhi
    Svaha

Sorry -going through a hallelujah phase of practice. Will do the laundry tomorrow - I promise.
    @anataman, well one thing I've found by just resting in awareness is that I can use anything as an object of meditation, my thoughts, sounds anything. I even meditated through an episode of The Big Bang Theory that was on TV tonight (well except for the odd chortle).
    anatamanlobster
    Chaz said:

...... "the original teaching" of the Buddha.

Yes, it's another urban myth.

I still really enjoy studying Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Sumedho though.

Yes, it's interesting to contrast and compare the approaches of different teachers. Ajahn Chah for example is nominally Theravada, but I find his teachings much more reminiscent of Zen.
    Zenshinanataman
  • ' Nominally ' Theravadin..Oh that all Thervadin teachers were so 'nominal'.
    Without doubt the most influential teacher to have emerged from the Theravada in modern times.
    Precisely because he transcended attempts to pigeon hole him.
    anatamanhowInvincible_summer
    @SpinyNorman, yes I find Ajahn Chah very Zen too.
  • Officially Shin Buddhist with Zen and Vajrayana tendencies.
    Invincible_summer
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @ParlaDharma - Cool! Not many Shin Buddhists around these forums! I have a soft spot for Jodo Shinshu. :)