Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

12 years a slave

So depressing, this movie. The little faith I had in humanity is gone. The acting was excellent, especially by the main character. Background music was also good. Certain scenes were very intense, didn't hold back or dilute them for the sake of a modern audience - that's a good thing.

How do others feel about this movie?

Comments

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    I haven't seen it but have read a bit about it. One reviewer said that many Americans have swept this kind history under the carpet. Probably why it took an English director to make it. It would be interesting to hear what the American's on New buddhist think.

Mind you the British have also swept a lot under their historical carpets as well!
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    It was a great movie.

But faith in humanity is a silly thing to have or to lose..cause its asking from the world what it can never give you. Faith in yourself is all you need.
    DandelionThailandTom
  • anataman said:

I haven't seen it but have read a bit about it. One reviewer said that many Americans have swept this kind history under the carpet. Probably why it took an English director to make it. It would be interesting to hear what the American's on New buddhist think.

Mind you the British have also swept a lot under their historical carpets as well!

If I remember correctly, the slavers brought goods from England to trade for slaves in Africa. The slaves shipped to the US produced the cotton which was shipped back to supply English textile manufacturing. The same boats made the the circuit.
    England was neck deep in the slave trade. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    robot said:

anataman said:

If I remember correctly, the slavers brought goods from England to trade for slaves in Africa. The slaves shipped to the US produced the cotton which was shipped back to supply English textile manufacturing. The same boats made the the circuit.
    England was neck deep in the slave trade. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Everyone was, no one is clean in that regard. Slavery has been with humanity since we've existed, even today, but its underground.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I pretty much agree with Federica on this one. Slavery was certainly not exclusive to America throughout human history, and we were split over the issue and fought the Civil War over it. Racism was far more endemic.

I was frustrated in terms of the film. Wanted to see, but here in Colorado Springs it never seemed to go into general release. So, I'm left waiting for cable or DVD.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    federica said:

The first commercial slave traders to deal with westerners, were Africans, on Africans.

You beat me to it.

"England was one of the latest countries to start slave trade. Soon England became on of the biggest slave trading nations. They began to bring slaves to the Caribbean. They formed the Royal African Company in 1672. This allowed English colonies in America to easily buy slaves from English traders. At the beginning only a few slaves came to English colonies. But when the big tobacco and rice plantations grew in the colonies in the south the slave trade increased.

Although many people think that most slaves were stolen or caught by slave traders, this is not the truth. Most slaves were bought by Europeans from other African people. Often, rival tribes sold into slavery members of other tribes they captured during wars. "

Slavery still happens today; and that is sad.
  • I haven't seen it and I don't know if I will. I'm sort of at the point of hoping for a slightly more original antagonist than white slave owners, an evil corporation, or Nazis. It's not revolutionary to be opposed to these things anymore.

Why doesn't anyone want to make a movie about the very real slavery that continues in Africa today? Or about the savage treatment of women in Saudi Arabia and Somalia. But oh yes, you may end up shot and stabbed like that Dutch film producer.

I haven't seen it and I don't know if I will. I'm sort of at the point of hoping for a slightly more original antagonist than white slave owners, an evil corporation, or Nazis. It's not revolutionary to be opposed to these things anymore.

Why doesn't anyone want to make a movie about the very real slavery that continues in Africa today? Or about the savage treatment of women in Saudi Arabia and Somalia. But oh yes, you may end up shot and stabbed like that Dutch film producer.

How about another spartacus? Roman slaves are never in movies anymore.
  • JimyoJimyo Explorer
    I haven't seen it yet but if it's anything like McQueen's directorial debut Hunger then it'll no doubt be as brilliant as it is harrowing.
  • federica said:

Discussions like this, stick in my craw, when the 'white man' is held almost entirely responsible for the deplorable and inhuman trade of slaves.

The first commercial slave traders to deal with westerners, were Africans, on Africans.

A well-known British personality (black) was tracing his family history for a series on TV, and denounced and condemned the men who held his (Great-something) Grandmother slave, so they could breed more slaves from her. The horror distaste and disgust he held, was palpable.
    Then, to his horror, he discovered that on the OTHER side of his family, his (Great-something) BLACK Grandfather, had been a successful, publicly-renowned figure, held in high esteem by his community - whose sole occupation was.... you guessed it - Slave trader and owner.
    he was rendered utterly speechless....

And every power in history has taken slaves from conquered lands, from the Romans, the Greeks, the Egyptians....

Where does blame, begin?
    And where will it end?
    Where should apologies, begin and end?

Totally with you on all of this.

The wheels of civilization are greased in blood, and it has always been that way. I'm not saying this in order to minimize the horror of slavery, but rather to place it in context. Virtually every culture/ethnicity/people has at some point been both the perpetrator and the victim of atrocities. I feel sure that the future holds similar evils.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Namaste,

I haven't seen it but why do you watch movies that depress you?

In metta,
    Raven
    DharmaMcBum

I haven't seen it and I don't know if I will. I'm sort of at the point of hoping for a slightly more original antagonist than white slave owners, an evil corporation, or Nazis. It's not revolutionary to be opposed to these things anymore.

These days it appears that the "it's only racist if you're white" attitude is in vogue. This too shall pass. Or not.
    federica said:

Discussions like this, stick in my craw, when the 'white man' is held almost entirely responsible for the deplorable and inhuman trade of slaves.

A well-known British personality (black) was tracing his family history for a series on TV, and denounced and condemned the men who held his (Great-something) Grandmother slave, so they could breed more slaves from her. The horror distaste and disgust he held, was palpable.
    Then, to his horror, he discovered that on the OTHER side of his family, his (Great-something) BLACK Grandfather, had been a successful, publicly-renowned figure, held in high esteem by his community - whose sole occupation was.... you guessed it - Slave trader and owner.
    he was rendered utterly speechless....

And every power in history has taken slaves from conquered lands, from the Romans, the Greeks, the Egyptians....

Where does blame, begin?
    And where will it end?
    Where should apologies, begin and end?

This. So this.
  • betaboy said:

So depressing, this movie. The little faith I had in humanity is gone. The acting was excellent, especially by the main character. Background music was also good. Certain scenes were very intense, didn't hold back or dilute them for the sake of a modern audience - that's a good thing.

How do others feel about this movie?

As an antidote, see the new Mandela biopic. It's fascinating and inspiring.

:)

Davidbetaboy
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    edited January 2014
    A film on a black person and his indescribable suffering ........ and the comments here are about how whites are unfairly portrayed!
    BhikkhuJayasaraYaskan
    betaboy said:

A film on a black person and his indescribable suffering ........ and the comments here are about how whites are unfairly portrayed!

Life is not all either-or.

Kundo
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    betaboy said:

Yes.
    Why not?

Where do you see this to be incorrect?
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited January 2014
    It's not.....incorrect...just kinda sounds like telling Jews.....
    to 'get over it' because murder and torture has happened since the
    beginning of time.
    Also...the mentality of racism stayed.....even
    after the slaves were 'freed' here....It wasn't that
    long ago. The half of the country that was for it..
    didn't just change their minds....they went underground
    with it.
    I have to look at the confederate flag everyday to work.
    It's still a state flag here...(MS)...(I work on the state border)
    It's so complicated here (US)......
    betaboy
    edited January 2014
    I do want to add one thing about 'reverse racism'....
    Racism makes the most impact when your the one in power...
    for example...How much impact can a black man have
    if he doesn't 'like' white men, if he holds no power? Not in
    any position to hold him 'down'...., is he? Yes, the social
    issues still stand...but can he hold the other down?

However, if a white man (who holds the power) doesn't
    'like' black men....what kind of impact could he have??
    Alot.
    YaskanJeffrey
    Sorry, too late to edit above ..(I'll get better about that, hahaha)

Also...Just like there is slave OWNER mentality...there is slave
    mentality, and alot of the issues/negative/unskillful social issues
    within the black community stem from that. Doesn't make it
    right...but it can help with understanding behavior..
    betaboy
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2014
    I'll tell you what I detest: Currently, if anyone voices an opinion against the behaviour of a person, whose skin happens to be a different shade of beige, thy immediately get called racist.

We have a couple of people from India living in the same house. Every single day, without exception, they commandeer the kitchen and cooker, and spend at least 2 - 3 hours, cooking extremely spicy and pungent food. Quite apart from the inconvenience this creates for other house-mates (when do WE get to cook OUR meals? we often end up eating either at 4pm, before they get home, or at around 10pm, when they finish....)
    ....The smell permeates everything in the house, and can be detected all too easily right up on the top floor. Closing doors, has no effect, or barely any. I have been to work and people have commented to me "Oh, I know what you ate last night! Curry!" but they're wrong: its just that my clothes have been completely impregnated with the odour...

They don't use toilet paper. They use their hands, and a jug of hot water, to clean themselves after going to the toilet, which leaves drips all over the floor, they persistently don't bother mopping up....

Yet if anyone says anything to them, we get the immediate response, "You're being racist." So nobody says anything. And we suffer in silence.
    The sad thing is, they have now been ostracised by other house members, because of their intransigent, persistent and unsocial behaviour. Nobody speaks to them, everyone avoids them.
    But that's us being racist again.

I detest it when people keep playing the racist card.
    It's unintelligent, incorrect and wildly irrational.
    yet this is why people walk on eggshells.... Political correctness gone over-the-top.
    KundoBarra
  • As an ethnic person myself (Persian), I sympathize with them - white folks have mastered the ability to be racist first and find justification later. It's been done countless times in the past - Europeans commented on the cleanliness of Jews, their behavior, etc., only to mask their bigotry. Nothing new here.
    How is having to wait hours before being able to cook, finding everything smelling of spicy food odours, objectionable, and wanting drips possibly containing urine and faeces, cleaned off the bathroom floor - racist, exactly?
    vinlynhowJeffrey
    betaboy said:

As an ethnic person myself (Persian), I sympathize with them - white folks have mastered the ability to be racist first and find justification later. It's been done countless times in the past - Europeans commented on the cleanliness of Jews, their behavior, etc., only to mask their bigotry. Nothing new here.

That right there, is a highly racist remark in itself, and objectionable, to say the least.
    Pot calling the kettle another colour, methinks........

vinlynKundo
    edited January 2014
    I hear ya....there is obviously some living conditions that need to
    be addressed....but I was speaking on the subject on the movie in
    the OP...AFA...slavery and it's aftermath here. I think everyone
    can get upset when we are called something we aren't...
    To be honest...I'm not familiar with Indian culture enough
    to connect the subjects....

Good luck...
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    edited January 2014
    federica said:

How is having to wait hours before being able to cook, finding everything smelling of spicy food odours, objectionable, and wanting drips possibly containing urine and faeces, cleaned off the bathroom floor - racist, exactly?

And they may find what you do equally (insert adjective). Point is, there will always be something to dislike about someone - in a globalized world (where it's impossible to live in isolation) we'd better learn to tolerate each other.
    I'm not going to get into an off-topic slanging match with you over this.
    Suffice to say that, being here, in this environment every day, I can unequivocally tell you that you are incorrect.
    Kundo
  • Being in the Army today simply makes it impossible to be a racist. There are a kaleidoscope of different races and ethnicities in my unit, but I would take a bullet for any of them. And they'd do the same. Anyone that still puts stock in skin color or who has "racial pride" be they black or white...is tribal and a boob of the highest magnitude.
    For a Buddhist you seem to obsess about guns and bullets and manhandling people.
    Jeffrey
  • Yes, well I work with those things on a daily basis at my job. And we do martial arts frequently as well. And I'm an atheist keen on learning more about Vipassana and meditation generally in the eastern tradition. I'm undecided on what to make of the rest of Buddhism.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    vinlyn said:

For a Buddhist you seem to obsess about guns and bullets and manhandling people.

Once you leave, you tend to get over it; it's just a phase really. Re-adjustment takes a little while though.

edited January 2014
    vinlyn said:

Tosh said:

vinlyn said:

Once you leave, you tend to get over it; it's just a phase really. Re-adjustment takes a little while though.

Poor little guy doesnt know what hes doing. Glad we have so many helpful people here to advise him...
    vinlyn
    edited January 2014
    So..... who saw the movie....?
    I'm ready to talk about it ...... :D
    Ask me a few hours from now. I'm finally going to see it this evening. Looking forward to it.
    Vastmind
    Its still in theaters? Was it oscar nominated or something?
    Jayantha said:

Its still in theaters? Was it oscar nominated or something?

It never seemed to be in theaters as much as other big movies, so -- at least here in Colorado Springs (not exactly Podunk) it was difficult to catch. I guess because it has gotten award nominations it has been "re-released".

It's a book ..well, more like a journal.
    This particular slave was educated and could write, so
    he wrote his own life story. Yes, it's nominated for a whole
    bunch of awards....Glad to say, it's been playing here all over.

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_Years_a_Slave_(film)
    Any movie about slaves or a handful of topics will always be nominated, but this one deserves it. It was good
    The thoughts going through my mind tonight while watching this may have been somewhat unique...or not.

I will say that Chiwetel Ejiofor definitely deserves the Academy Award for his performance. Remarkable.

The amount of sadism that is depicted here, while realistic, would be considered in gross excess in most films. For this topic, I guess it's accepted. I was reminded, however, of a midnight in 1977 when the phone rang and it was the Black principal of the school where I was teaching in the Washington suburbs in Maryland. Our school was about 50% Black, but the teaching staff was majority White. The principal called an emergency faculty meeting the next morning, 90 minutes before the opening of school. The topic: "Roots", the first episode of which had aired that night. She walked us through how a Black person might react to such a telecast, and while she expected ramifications the next school day, other than a lot of chatter, there were none. But times have certainly changed. No unrest due to an even more graphic depiction of slavery than in "Roots".

Another question that kept coming back to me during the film was, how long are we going to think that we have to beat ourselves up over an issue that is long in the past? Or is such a story telling good for us? Should we continually dredge up the actions of the Japanese or Germans over WWII? Be as childish as we are about Cuba?

As far as the movie goes...as a movie...I found it rather sterile. No heart to it. It felt almost more like a documentary than a story that I would want to watch a second time.

And finally, I kept thinking that while this nation has come a very long ways, that I am sad that some people think equality is not a fact of life. It's not.

I have not seen it, although I have seen and read reviews. But a friend of mine saw it, and to be honest, he held pretty much the same views as you. Relatively hum-drum as a story, and frankly, flogging a horse that if it isn't dead yet, should definitely be retired and put out to pasture.....
  • vinlyn said:

The thoughts going through my mind tonight while watching this may have been somewhat unique...or not.

I will say that Chiwetel Ejiofor definitely deserves the Academy Award for his performance. Remarkable.

The amount of sadism that is depicted here, while realistic, would be considered in gross excess in most films. For this topic, I guess it's accepted. I was reminded, however, of a midnight in 1977 when the phone rang and it was the Black principal of the school where I was teaching in the Washington suburbs in Maryland. Our school was about 50% Black, but the teaching staff was majority White. The principal called an emergency faculty meeting the next morning, 90 minutes before the opening of school. The topic: "Roots", the first episode of which had aired that night. She walked us through how a Black person might react to such a telecast, and while she expected ramifications the next school day, other than a lot of chatter, there were none. But times have certainly changed. No unrest due to an even more graphic depiction of slavery than in "Roots".

Another question that kept coming back to me during the film was, how long are we going to think that we have to beat ourselves up over an issue that is long in the past? Or is such a story telling good for us? Should we continually dredge up the actions of the Japanese or Germans over WWII? Be as childish as we are about Cuba?

As far as the movie goes...as a movie...I found it rather sterile. No heart to it. It felt almost more like a documentary than a story that I would want to watch a second time.

And finally, I kept thinking that while this nation has come a very long ways, that I am sad that some people think equality is not a fact of life. It's not.

A very thoughtful post. Thank you. I have not seen the movie and doubt I will, because realistic depictions of the sadism humanity is capable of performing have become too painful to watch over the years.

However, it is revealing to listen to the reactions of the viewers. First, complaining that we should not focus on the white race enslaving Africans because some black tribes also practiced slavery is like saying we should not talk about the white American Army slaughtering the Native Americans because a few tribes hired on as scouts and also helped in the slaughter. The few African tribes who helped did not create a global slave trade. Slavery existed before the cotton fields of the South, and genocide existed before we began wiping out Native Americans, but nobody is claiming we invented either evil.

I think this movie might be a needed reminder for certain parts of our population, because we do have people who stood up in a room of otherwise intelligent adults and claimed with a straight face that the slaves didn't have it that bad, and free food and housing were provided, after all. And get a round of applause for saying it, instead of being thrown out of the room. We also have a State elected Congressman who said with a straight face that if his constituents wanted slavery back, he'd have to vote for it since his job is doing what his people want. And this man was not seen as the twisted excuse of a human being he just proved himself to be.

But personally, I won't subject myself to what seems to be a marvelous depiction of that evil's true face, in the same way I can't even watch an episode of "Criminal Mind" that my wife enjoys. Too painful for me.

betaboy
    The violence in the movie is pretty comparable to the passion. But in both movies i felt they were shooting more for realism then over the top gore.

The last rambo movie(which is about the atrocities in burma) did the same, making civilians run across minefields and the gore of bodies being torn apart. although im sure many people dont realize that high calibur weaponry literally can cut people in half.

Moral of the story is gore for gores sake is never as impactful as gore for reality sake.
    edited January 2014
    Please feel free to share talks/teachings on reconciliation....
    Here is my contribution.....
    May I be able to listen deeply and compassionately in
    order to water the seeds of reconciliation and peace.
    :)

To Make Reconciliation
    Possible
    By Thich Nhat Hanh
    European Institute of Applied Buddhism
    June 13, 2013

http://www.mindfulnessbell.org/articles/mb64-DharmaTalk PDF-FINAL.pdf

It's a written dharma talk....easy to read...and only about 6 pages.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    vinlyn said:

Someone may have already said this, I didn't have the impulse control to continue reading :D

As to 'how long are we . . . going to beat ourselves up'; not another minute or second. None of us alive today participated in these historical pogroms or atrocities. I see great value, however, in revisiting them through literature and film so that we do not repeat history.

I wouldn't know a thing about Black slavery or the Holocaust if it weren't for books and movies. Yeah, obvious and at least so far, missing your point. Knowing about them is one thing . . . but nothing brings out good old fashioned sympathic/empathic experience like a film. This is another way, perhaps a more thorough way of knowing.

An averagely sensitive person will walk away after such a film with the images and emotions it evoked burning big swathes of their psyche for a few days, and their minds will make associations and comparisons as it normally does, personal ones, and deeper understanding of what occurs on both sides of the persecutor and victim are realized and hopefully applied.

I personally don't mind carrying a bit of collective guilt and shame as an impersonal thing, a thing that can be just as easily carried by any human being with the capacity for hatred and misuse of power.

History repeats itself in subtle, covert ways as well. Oppression happens between two individuals as well as groups. Misuse of power, the same. We all need ongoing education about these potentials and we need to apply it to our own personal behavior. The moment a person says "I never" is the moment they go blind to when they DO. It's how I choose to apply it to my life, anyway.

Gassho :)
    Cinorjer
  • @Hamsaka,
    I personally don't mind carrying a bit of collective guilt and shame as an impersonal thing, a thing that can be just as easily carried by any human being with the capacity for hatred and misuse of power.
    I'm not quite sure what the collective guilt is. Neither I nor any of my ancestors ever participated in the slave trade. They were serfs themselves.

It's important to realize that there are still those in Africa and the Middle East being enslaved by fellow Africans and Arabs. Sadly less known is the ongoing pogrom of Coptic Christians in Egypt.
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    @Frozen_Paratrooper, what I mean by 'collective guilt' is just a personal thing, the personal way I choose to relate from my life to the atrocities committed by my genetic ancestors. At first I was thinking my complete lack of responsibility took me out of the picture altogether -- thus, no personal guilt/accountability -- but there's the fact of my skin color and the unwanted, unacknowledged racial 'superiority' that exists in the minds of many people with brown(er) skins. I've not had bias against me on any level due to my skin color, my 'racial designation'. I don't know what that experience is like, and it might be arrogant of me to imagine that I do. Perhaps it is no different than the bias against females or overweight people? I just won't insist that it is no different because I don't really know.

So THAT puts me in a 'class', the perceptions of others who see my skin color and make assumptions. This is NOT a big deal, I'm just going on and on as to why accepting a bit of collective guilt feels OK for me. In real life it never comes up except to split some hairs :D.

Well, one time it did affect me IRL, or I thought it did. In one of my college classes there was a largish group of black students that kept to themselves and gave off a vibe that told me I wasn't welcome to visit or joke with them. A white girlfriend of mine at the time was married to a black man and had two little girls with him, and shocked the living daylights out of me by telling me that some black people DIDN'T LIKE WHITE PEOPLE or at least trust them very much. Whaaaat??? Can that even happen??? (lol!)

I guess I don't care very much, personally, that I might get lumped in. More than caring about that I care that I don't promote even the subtlest racism in any way I have control over. I grew up in a very small very WHITE town and didn't see a brown skinned person except on TV until I was 19 years old. Years ago I ran across some stories I wrote as a young teen and I used the word 'n*gger' as a description of one character's behavior. There was no overt white supremacy in our town, it was just understood that black people weren't exactly welcome but they might be if they would just act NORMAL.

I still experience flashes of that old racism every now and then, they are unpredictable and shocking. Many of the white folks I work with would have a hissy fit if someone called them racist but their imbedded, programmed racism pops it's ugly head up now and then, and them unaware. Perhaps the same thing happens with me? How can I be sure? I have no control over what erupts out of those deep deep layers of my socialization as a child of the 60's and 70's, but I can pay very close attention and not allow that crap to sneak into my speech and behavior.

Maybe by 'collective guilt' I'm just expressing an awareness of my deeper programming and that I have the capacity to be careless and insensitive in spite of my intentions.

Sorry for the text wall, I can type almost as fast as I think and it just starts pouring out :P

Gassho :)
    Vastmind