Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

You Are Not Your Brain

Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal DhammaWe(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
edited January 2014 in Meditation
Just heard about this book when my class was talking about neuroplasticity.

Apparently, Dr. Schwartz has "developed" a 4-step program designed to help people with OCD free themselves from their compulsive urges.

Here are the 4 steps (from a Psychology Today article):
Step 1: Relabel. Identify the deceptive brain messages (i.e., the unhelpful thoughts, urges, desires and impulses) and the uncomfortable sensations; call them what they really are.

Step 2: Reframe. Change your perception of the importance of the deceptive brain messages; say why these thoughts, urges, and impulses keep bother you (it's not ME, it's just the BRAIN!).

Step 3: Refocus. Direct your attention toward an activity or mental process that is wholesome and productive - even while the false and deceptive urges, thoughts, impulses, and sensations are still present and bothering you.

Step 4: Revalue. Clearly see the thoughts, urges, and impulses for what they are: sensations caused by deceptive brain messages that are not true and that have little to no value.
Sound familiar to anyone? :p

I haven't read the book yet, so I don't know how much credit they give Buddhism or even Jon Kabat-Zinn (who many consider to be the man when it comes to using insight meditation in a secular, scientific way).

I think it's cool that mindfulness has become relatively mainstream... yet my ego wishes that Buddhism would at least get that nod, not some de-contextualized, secularized practice from it.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    'Brain' and 'mind' are two different things.
    Kundocvalue
  • federica said:

'Brain' and 'mind' are two different things.

Is that what your brain is telling you?
    mfranzdorf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    It's an established fact I agree with.
    Kundo
  • federica said:

Whatever that stuff is it's not like any Buddhism I've encountered.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Have to agree with @Federica. Well all you have to do is mentally chop off bits of yourself and say Am I this hand, Nope, am I this arm, nope, am I this eye, Nope! keep going with bits of the brain: then go down to the cellular, molecular and elementary levels: am I the cells, nope, the proteins, nope, am I the atoms, nope, am I the DNA or the RNA or the reactions that take place between the proteins, am I the electrical activity of the brain (flow of ions and/or electrons), Once you get down to the subatomic level and realise there is so much space between the atoms that you just know just how empty you are, so where is the self in this space? Nowhere - selflessness understood and known, but by what? What is doing the knowing that there is no self? Now there is a place to go play!
    ThailandTomcvalueTheswingisyellow
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Step 1: Relabel. Identify the deceptive brain messages (i.e., the unhelpful thoughts, urges, desires and impulses) and the uncomfortable sensations; call them what they really are.

Step 2: Reframe. Change your perception of the importance of the deceptive brain messages; say why these thoughts, urges, and impulses keep bother you (it's not ME, it's just the BRAIN!).

Step 3: Refocus. Direct your attention toward an activity or mental process that is wholesome and productive - even while the false and deceptive urges, thoughts, impulses, and sensations are still present and bothering you.

Step 4: Revalue. Clearly see the thoughts, urges, and impulses for what they are: sensations caused by deceptive brain messages that are not true and that have little to no value.
    Sound familiar to anyone? :p

Yep, mindfulness and right effort. I do hope these people are paying the Buddha some royalties given they've pinched all his ideas. :p
    Invincible_summer
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I haven't read the book yet, so I don't know how much credit they give Buddhism or even Jon Kabat-Zinn (who many consider to be the man when it comes to using insight meditation in a secular, scientific way).

I went on a taster day with that MBSR lot, but I wasn't very impressed. Basically they've pinched a lot of stuff from the Satipatthana Sutta and cobbled it together in a rather amateur way. I've heard much better introductions to mindfulness at Buddhist centres.
    Invincible_summer
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    edited January 2014
    This is just a personal understanding; the brain and mind are not 'the same thing', but the mind arises from the brain, like light is refracted through a prism. "Life" (I mean, like, Life with a capital L, that which animates) comes through, expresses, is refracted, whatever, through the physical body. What manifests via this expression is a 'mind'.

That sounds like, well, duh :dunce: What grabs me by the short-hairs here is that Life expresses through trees, spiders spinning webs, starlings doing the 'murmuration' in flight, elephants painting pictures of themselves, all the way up the complexity ladder to sentience (aware of an *I* to be aware of). Maaaaaajor cool.

This is a silly personal thing too, so obvious but yet not; the brain is part of the body. In the west we artificially separate mind and brain (don't acknowledge the dependent origination) and then get really stupid and have a conception of the brain being separate from the body. Obviously that's because we smash the brain and mind together as conceptually the same thing (in the west).

It gets even weirder when you consider where the 'heart' fits in. They do it right in the east, where the heart and the mind aren't artificially separated. But over here in the west, we have people saying to each other 'Well my heart says one thing, my brain another." No wonder we are so confused!

Gassho :)
    Invincible_summer
  • I think it is like a piano player (mind) playing a piano (brain)

If you couldn't see the piano player because they were hidden then you would look at the piano and see the keys and pedals go up and down. You would see the parts of the piano inside and out.

The piano is like the brain having waves and MRIs and all those goodies. But without the player the piano cannot make a tune (consciousness). Thus the player is the mind. And the music dependently originates between the mind and the brain.
    cvalue
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited January 2014
    You are not your "eyes", nor "ears", nor "nose", "tongue", "body". You are most definitely not your brain either.

Sights, sounds, smells, taste, sensations and even thoughts are not yours. You are none of the above.
    "In various ways we have been taught that consciousness arises dependently. Without a cause there is no arising of consciousness."

"Bhikkhus, consciousness is reckoned by the condition dependent upon which it arises. If consciousness arises on account of eye and forms, it is reckoned as eye consciousness. If on account of ear and sounds it arises, it is reckoned as ear consciousness. If on account of nose and smells it arises, it is reckoned as nose consciousness. If on account of tongue and tastes it arises, it is reckoned as tongue consciousness. If on account of body and touch it arises, it is reckoned as body consciousness. If on account of mind and mind-objects it arises, it is reckoned as mind consciousness. Bhikkhus, just as a fire is reckoned based on whatever that fire burns - fire ablaze on sticks is a stick fire, fire ablaze on twigs is a twig fire, fire ablaze on grass is a grass fire, fire ablaze on cowdung is a cowdung fire, fire ablaze on grain thrash is a grain thrash fire, fire ablaze on rubbish is a rubbish fire - so too is consciousness reckoned by the condition dependent upon which it arises. In the same manner consciousness arisen on account is eye and forms is eye consciousness. Consciousness arisen on account of ear and sounds is ear consciousness. Consciousness arisen on account of nose and smells is nose consciousness. Consciousness arisen on account of tongue and tastes is taste consciousness. Consciousness arisen on account of body and touch is body consciousness. Consciousness arisen on account of mind and mind-objects is mind consciousness.

http://www.leighb.com/mn38.htm
    Invincible_summer
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    robot said:

federica said:

Whatever that stuff is it's not like any Buddhism I've encountered.
    Doesn't mean it's not true. I'd love to be able to sit you all down with the MRI's of my brain and show as well as tell you why my mind and brain are different.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I don't know dhammachick, I guess some folks like to have their truth doctored up like that.

"The mind, a part of the human soul, has a profound influence upon the brain, the nervous system, the body, and all organs and glands. It is the mind that gives all of you the sense of cognition and a sense of beingness. The physical and the psychic are linked so closely together that one does not function without the other. The physical organs and the psychic organs work together in a harmonious relationship. There is a Divine Intelligence from above that orchestrates all of this. This intelligence is part of the Creator or God source."

This is the truth that I got from the article in regard to this thread, in italics. To me it means, not the same as, not different from.
    The rest I can do without.
    howInvincible_summer
  • The rest I can do without
    You might be able to do without a brain. Don't try this at home . . . :hair:
    http://www.rense.com/general63/brain.htm

Neurones in the heart . . . whatever next . . .
    http://sguforums.com/index.php?topic=30449.0

:wow:
    I'm no neurologist, but unfortunately I know more about brain disease than I'd like. I have to question the brain and mind being almost inextricably linked. My brain is dying but I'm still functioning - at this point in time anyway.
    pegembaraBunksJeffrey
  • I gave some baht to a fellow on the street in Chiang Mai the other day. He had a depression in the right side of his head that you could fit a grapefruit in. He thanked me clearly.
  • I'm no neurologist, but unfortunately I know more about brain disease than I'd like. I have to question the brain and mind being almost inextricably linked. My brain is dying but I'm still functioning - at this point in time anyway.

You sound like you are at the top of your game. Starting a new business and all.
    I hope you have many more years of health before the illness gets the better of you, if that is what must happen.
    Kundo
  • I'm no neurologist, but unfortunately I know more about brain disease than I'd like. I have to question the brain and mind being almost inextricably linked. My brain is dying but I'm still functioning - at this point in time anyway.

May I ask what this illness is?
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Nose, ear, skin, tongue, eyes and mind. The six sensory sources that send information to the brain.

Mind is somewhat different because it takes up no space but we still feel with it.

Mind and brain are not the same thing. Some say the brain is the creator of information but it is just interpreting and is itself nothing but information.

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    federica said:

No offense, but how does this article prove that the separation of "brain" and "mind" is "an established fact?" It's a random article on a website that has no sources or studies or anything.

And this thread is sort of taking a different turn than I intended - instead of rehashing the same lessons on "non-self," can we talk about modern, secularized approaches to meditation?
  • I think it's cool that mindfulness has become relatively mainstream... yet my ego wishes that Buddhism would at least get that nod, not some de-contextualized, secularized practice from it.
    You could stop being so Buddhist. :nyah:

It is not necessary for alchemy to be accredited with the development of chemistry, except historically. If you went to a doctor and they recommended yoga for back pain, they would not require you to find an ashram and worship Ganesh the Elephant.
    Being pragmatic I find the approach of psychology can help with the ill, it does not require people to develop secondary delusions that come from ancient systems of wisdom.

Buddhism has a far wider approach, starting from the possibility of stability into higher wisdom and beyond. From a Buddhist perspective psychologists are not enlightened and many psychologists would question the 'use' or existence of such a mind set. Mystics who are studied by psychologists are often considered delusional. However many mystics are equally dismissive of those that study them rather than experience with them.

Just as psychology makes use of Buddhist mindfulness, there is no reason why Buddhists can not make use of the insights and research psychologists uncover. However in many cases some Buddhists have done so already, centuries ago and then some . . .

What is that Mr Cushion? Anyone who talks to their meditation cushion is crazy? You don't say, you don't say . . . :screwy:

federica said:

No offense, but how does this article prove that the separation of "brain" and "mind" is "an established fact?" It's a random article on a website that has no sources or studies or anything.
    I can probably find you a whole lot more with better credentials if you wish.
    I happen to be convinced that we cannot speak about 'Brain' and Mind' as being 'one thing'....
    Can you find a link that categorically claims otherwise?
    And this thread is sort of taking a different turn than I intended - instead of rehashing the same lessons on "non-self," can we talk about modern, secularized approaches to meditation?
    Threads go the way threads go. That's what happens in a discussion...
    If that had been the point of your discussion to begin with, perhaps it would have been wiser to state your intentions and clarify more precisely.

As the written medium is all we have, it's actually quite important....

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    i read somewhere an analogy (i don't remember where currently) - the analogy was - brain is like hardware of a computer and mind is the software program which runs in a computer.

the computer program is just a set of bits set on the hardware - but when the compiler compiles it and then it runs, there is an experience which we feel like for example, when an OS runs and desktop comes. without hardware, computer program cannot run and without computer program, just with blank hardware, the experience of a desktop with applications listed on it, cannot come to us from the computer hardware.

i think that though it is a crude analogy, yet it gives some idea about the difference between brain and mind.
    edited January 2014

Just heard about this book when my class was talking about neuroplasticity.

I think it's cool that mindfulness has become relatively mainstream... yet my ego wishes that Buddhism would at least get that nod, not some de-contextualized, secularized practice from it.

Back to the OP - are you asking if we have read it and would like reviews to enable you to decide whether to buy it or not? This book doesn't appeal to me btw after reading the contents chapter - nothing new to me.

It appears to me that most cognitive and behavioural therapies are pretty much secularised buddhist mindfulness techniques these days. Like anything, people can make money by 'putting their twist' on something and appealing to certain 'types' of people. If you have OCD and the 'twist' works for you - great, the Buddha provided the dharma to freely distribute to all beings, and did not restrict them from distribution as far as I am aware, but did kind of give people an approach to distributing them, with wisdom, and in an ethical manner, and with the right training methods. Providing these criteria are followed in the book, it may well work for you or someone else with OCD.

As an aside the lesson of realising non-self is an essential step in the approach to secular or non-secular meditation btw. It enables you to detach from the self-concept, which is the root of the problem. Isn't that what you are trying to achieve as a secular or non-secular buddhist.

Just a couple of thoughts on the matter, and hopefully bringing it line with your OP

Mettha
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    I'm fairly sure the mind is a product of the brain. Damage the brain and the mind is affected.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    From the zen perspective, it is funny how such a wide range of ever changing beings in a fluid existence can be so certain about the definition of their brain/mind.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited January 2014
    how said:

From the zen perspective, it is funny how such a wide range of ever changing beings in a fluid existence can be so certain about the definition of their brain/mind.

If you damage your brain badly enough, you won't have a mind to have a zen perspective with.

And isn't that zen perspective similar to the perspectives we have about our mind and brains?

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    @Tosh

From my Zen perspective, body & mind are one.
    Much of our meditative practice bares witness to the underlining adversarial basis for such delineations and how it underpins the foundation of the Ego's structure.

I do understand the brain/ mind definition. I just am not as sure as others of how important they are to determining what this "Me" is that the OP's opening post referred to.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Tosh said:

I'm fairly sure the mind is a product of the brain. Damage the brain and the mind is affected.

True but if we damage the brain any or all of the information can be blocked from the other sense gates as well. If the brain is damaged in a certain spot our sense of smell is affected but the nose is not a product of the brain. They exist together like the sound and the hearer.

Actually, the mind may not be affected if we damage the brain even if the connection between them is.

OK I am not going to contradict anyone here, rather I am going to challenge the idea that your perspective is often unnecessary but important baggage.

What are we really talking about here? Mind-brain duality or body-brain connectivity - lets put this into perspective, the body is connected to the brain by peripheral nerves, and therefore it cannot be argued that if you cut or damage a nerve or part of the brain that supplies that part of the body such that affected part of the body is disconnected it will no longer work or at least will function less adequately.

Anatomists/physiologists/neuroscientists cannot disagree with this statement, because I am right! (And I don't have a smug smile - I have half a smile, ok a smug half smile, but the rest is just a smile because its smugly content)

Our mind and awareness are something else that require more careful consideration and examination or permission to be.

Mettha
    betaboy said:

I'm no neurologist, but unfortunately I know more about brain disease than I'd like. I have to question the brain and mind being almost inextricably linked. My brain is dying but I'm still functioning - at this point in time anyway.

May I ask what this illness is?
    Spinocerebellar Ataxia