Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Nothing to do VS Nothing you can do

There is a difference. If a person believes there is nothing to do, he will at best force himself to do nothing. That never works. But if a person believe there's nothing he CAN do, then 'doing nothing' will be natural rather than forced.

DO helps a person to understand that there really is nothing a person can do. Your birth wasn't in your hands - it was determined by two strangers. Your life isn't in your hands. It is determined by circumstances, other people, your capacities, and a million other variables.

If we carefully observe ourselves and the world around us, everything seems like an automatic process, including our free choices and actions. Besides, there is DO - A depends on B, B depends on C, and so on, which means nothing is truly independent enough (or free enough) to do anything. So our 'doing' itself could be a myth, only used for conventional purposes. Like describing a dream etc. .... doesn't make the dream real.

This sort of understanding will make a person do 'wu wei' with ease. Else, it's gonna be a struggle.
Rodrigoupekka

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2014
    what on earth are you talking about...?

And more's the point.... why?

Is it necessary...?
  • jaejae Veteran
    @betaboy.... stay away from the LSD ;)
    Hamsaka
  • A belief is a form of aggression and violence to what is.

In what is, nothing is resolved & everything is resolved.

Both the paradox of doing and being unravel. Stillness and movement become obsolete.
    HamsakalobsterBuddhadragon
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    love relentlessly
    lobster
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Is grabbing a raisin and slowly putting it in your mouth something that YOU can do?

Yes you can. Non-self doesn't mean we cannot do things. It means that when things change how we don't like them that we get upset. We can eat a raisin. When the raisins are gone we get upset.

From an obvious sense there is a self who can eat the raisin. But we see non-self emotionally when change upsets us.
    lobster
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    edited January 2014
    You gotta admit, it's a great way to avoid facing yourself while giving yourself the impression you are grappling with the great questions of existence. Yes you are, either that or Jae is right, only I'm voting that you were smoking weed and it made you think that your OP question was so profound it was worth starting a thread over.

You wouldn't be alone, in your reluctance to let go of thinking as a way to insight and wisdom. It was terrifying for me, at first, to set a timer for 15 minutes, place butt on cushion, and sit quietly with this miasma. I'd much rather throw a ball and watch my mind chase it down.

I know you really do desire the end of suffering for yourself. You won't find it by thinking about it. Your thinking is what got you in such a mess in the first place, and your thinking won't get you out of it.

Beneath the mental masturbation there is a peace and silence. That's where you'll find the wisdom you crave, after a while.
    lobsterhowpegembaraKundo
  • sova said:

love relentlessly

It sounds like a plan. I'll join.
    :buck:
    Buddhadragon
  • sova said:

love relentlessly

The Thing Is..... by Ellen Bass

to love life, to love it even
    when you have no stomach for it
    and everything you've held dear
    crumbles like burnt paper in your hands,
    your throat filled with the silt of it.
    When grief sits with you, its tropical heat
    thickening the air, heavy as water
    more fit for gills than lungs;
    when grief weights you like your own flesh
    only more of it, an obesity of grief,
    you think, how can a body withstand this?
    Then you hold life like a face
    between your palms, a plain face,
    no charming smile, no violet eyes,
    and you say, yes, I will take you
    I will love you, again.
    Bunkssovaanataman
  • We gets poems too? Definitely joining . . . :clap:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    All just so much papanca....
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    These forms may not be us but body and mind are always doing something whether we like it or not.

Even when we meditate we are doing something... It's why we can say we meditate.
  • betaboy said:

There is a difference. If a person believes there is nothing to do, he will at best force himself to do nothing. That never works. But if a person believe there's nothing he CAN do, then 'doing nothing' will be natural rather than forced.

If the eyes sees nothing, the mind thinks nothing, and the body wants to follow along and do nothing...

Isn't this self identification?
    DO helps a person to understand that there really is nothing a person can do. Your birth wasn't in your hands - it was determined by two strangers. Your life isn't in your hands. It is determined by circumstances, other people, your capacities, and a million other variables.
    I think DO helps a person understand that life works in cycles, but that does not mean we should do nothing. The Buddha taught a way out of this cycle. We have to make a choice.

If a person wants to believe their actions is meaningless that's their choice, but whether it's meaningless or not, we don't even know that yet. You have the option to give it meaning.
  • Actually it is a very good topic and post. Right to the heart of Buddhism, dependent origination.

I guess we need more general banter topics? :screwy:
    robot
  • wangchueywangchuey Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Right actions and skillful actions should count as doing something as opposed to nothing. Just saying...
    David
  • wangchuey said:

Right actions and skillful actions should count as doing something as opposed to nothing. Just saying...

When I wrote 'doing nothing', I assumed people would know I meant it in the zen context only. I was talking about how people force themselves to do nothing - deceiving themselves that they're doing zen. I was trying to say that understanding DO may help in understanding wu wei, effortless effort. Not laziness per se.
    wangchueypegembara
  • When I wrote 'doing nothing', I assumed people would know I meant it in the zen context only. I was talking about how people force themselves to do nothing - deceiving themselves that they're doing zen. I was trying to say that understanding DO may help in understanding wu wei, effortless effort. Not laziness per se.
    Indeed.
    Constipated zen is the bane of the beginner. They do indeed discipline and force, no matter how many admonitions to sit attentive and relaxed.
    My sister with her yoga practice says it took her ten years of 'intense' practice to understand how trying too hard, not relaxing is not yoga. Every class we are taught 'go as far as is comfortable, relax in the posture'.
    Theoretical zen is just laziness though . . .

:wave:
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited January 2014
    You can do everything (or nothing) and things will turn out the way it was meant to turn out. It cannot be otherwise.
    Reality, as it is, is called suchness. Suchness means, ‘it is like that.’ You cannot describe it in terms of notions, especially notions of birth and death, being and non-being, coming and going. No word, no idea, no notion can describe reality: the reality of a table, the reality of a flower, the reality of a house, the reality of a living being. To meditate means to be invited on a journey of looking deeply in order to touch our true nature and to recognize that nothing is lost. Because of this we can overcome fear. The ultimate is the foundation of our being, the ground of being…….Thich Nhat Hanh
    "Having seen well in advance that arrow
    where generations are fastened & hung
    — 'I know, I see, that's just how it is!' —
    there's nothing of the Tathagata fastened."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.024.than.html
    betaboy said:

wangchuey said:

When I wrote 'doing nothing', I assumed people would know I meant it in the zen context only.....
    Given that a only a fraction of members actually practise Zen, well... you know what they say about 'assume' don't you?
    Nver assume anything about anyone.
    It makes an ass out of U & me.....

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    betaboy said:

dude, DO suggests everything is dependent - does not mean you are out of equation - rather, till you become enlightened, DO suggests the reason why you suffer, because of your past actions which you did, your present actions which you are doing and a lot of external factors.
    wangchueyBuddhadragon
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    betaboy said:

Besides, there is DO - A depends on B, B depends on C, and so on, which means nothing is truly independent enough (or free enough) to do anything. So our 'doing' itself could be a myth, only used for conventional purposes. Like describing a dream etc. .... doesn't make the dream real.

Yes, to some extent we're a "victim" of our circumstances and conditioning, but not completely so. There are always choices to be made. So what will you choose?
    Buddhadragon
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited February 2014
    federica said:

All just so much papanca....

Thank you for the introduction to Papañca @Federica - I realised something like this was going on, and was making my view dull, but now I have a word for it!

Time for some Nippapañca... Time to stop over-conceptualising.

What's this Thread about?
    wangchuey
  • atiyanaatiyana Explorer

@betaboy said:

If we carefully observe ourselves and the world around us, everything seems like an automatic process, including our free choices and actions. Besides, there is DO - A depends on B, B depends on C, and so on, which means nothing is truly independent enough (or free enough) to do anything. So our 'doing' itself could be a myth, only used for conventional purposes. Like describing a dream etc. .... doesn't make the dream real.

This sort of understanding will make a person do 'wu wei' with ease. Else, it's gonna be a struggle.

I think the opposite can also be true, concerning what a person believes and what comes from it. I find that it DOES work for some when thinking there is nothing to do, and thinking there is nothing that can be done can make some people feel defeated or nihilistic.

The point being is that these distinctions cannot be made in general terms and are person to person.

I personally don't think most can do action through non-action easily, most people have very distorted views of perfected spontaneity, and instead use it as an excuse to rationalize certain behavioral patterns.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    Yes, to some extent we're a "victim" of our circumstances and conditioning, but not completely so. There are always choices to be made. So what will you choose?

Sartre put forth that Existence precedes Essence, because we surge up in the world (we don't know why but we're here) and only after that simple fact of existing, our life is a "becoming," a sort of empty canvas that gains in meaning as you paint it.
    "Life has no meaning a priori... It is up to you to give it a meaning, and value is nothing but the meaning you choose," he wrote.
    We did not choose to come here, but we can choose to make the most with what we have. We can choose from moment to moment what our life will be like by focusing on attending to what really depends on us to change. That attitude is more empowering than just thinking you are a toy in fate's hands. There is a lot you can do about your life.