Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Shambhala Training Level 2: Birth of a Warrior

I just completed Shambhala Level training 2: Birth of a warrior. It was all about how to work through fear and doubt. One of the quotes was " put the mind of fear in the cradle of loving kindness".... I like that. Anybody done level 2? Or 3..4.. Or 5?
Chazanataman

Comments

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    I did level 2 about 10 years ago. It's as far as I went. Shortly after that I joined a Kagyu sangha. I have several friends who have gone all the way through level 5 and they always speak wellof the experience.
  • Oh ok Glad to hear! It's definitely grueling but extremely rewarding.
    Grueling is right. Those levels are a LOT of sitting and that gets hard by Sunday afternoon.
  • Pleeeeeeease! It Gets hard starting Saturday after lunch. Lol
    Chaz
  • Pleeeeeeease!
    If you can get up and walk, consider it easy. What did you think Buddhists training was for Boy Scouts? No dukkha, no gain. No loss, no gain, enlightenment.
    LoveWins
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    lobster said:

What did you think Buddhists training was for Boy Scouts?

There always seem to be more badges to get! ;)
    lobster

lobster said:

Shambhalians are really into badges. They have badges for everything.
    Chaz said:

lobster said:

Shambhalians are really into badges. They have badges for everything.
    I was meaning it in a more general way. You know like when you get to the top of a hill and then there's another bigger one in front of you....and so on. I mean the view gets better each time but also there's that feeling of "will this ever end?". ;)
    anataman
  • "will this ever end?"
    I think they have a badge for that :)
    anataman
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

So I think I remember folks talking about some weaponry usage or training in some part of Shambhala training. Is that true, is it symbolic and is this part of that program? And if so, can anyone explain it to me?
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    @lobster showed me his arsenal today. Pretty impressive!
    edited February 2014
    how said:

So I think I remember folks talking about some weaponry usage or training in some part of Shambhala training. Is that true, is it symbolic and is this part of that program? And if so, can anyone explain it to me?

"Shambhala Training" doesn't involve weapons.

I don't know of any Shambhala practice that involves weapons.

Vajrayana practitioners may use weapons like phurbas, etc in their practice but their role is strictly symbolic.

They don't run around trying to kill people.

The Dorje Kasung have a cannon, though.

Oh! Almost forgot ...... Shambhala promotes the practice of Kyodo - contemplative archery.

Aside: The Jodo Shinshu temple downtown offers Aikido classes - that uses weapons ....
    how
  • anataman said:

Must be the wall I stare at and some bang their head on. ;)

I am sure samurai and Japanese businessmen stare at their family swords to engage the warrior spirit. Zen and Buddhism can be used by the dank side.

However . . . any weapon targets us. The purpose of demon slaying is to engage our capacity for compassion not to become more wrathful and demonic ourselves.

So for example we might have beer or spirit on our shrine to remind us of the power of intoxication and of the power of Amrita.

Now on with the armour:

I go for refuge to the Buddha,
    I go for refuge to the Dharma,
    I go for refuge to the Sangha.

http://viewonbuddhism.org/refuge.html
    anataman said:

"Arsenal"? I've never heard it called that before. :p

lobsterChaz