Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Interdependent Co-arising

anatamananataman Who needs a title?Where am I? Veteran
I offer this post with serious intent, but still with a sense of humour for my illusory world and the resultant deluded mind. I am hoping someone here will be able to give me a pointer to something that is not being fully understood by the wisdom mind.

I have been meditating with a lot more effort in the past week and in particular have been mindfully studying interdependent co-arisng, not in the sense of wondering about karma and rebirth into other realms, and future re-births but in the sense of moment to moment arisings in the mind.

I started early this morning with a hard work out in the gym, I find that I am more relaxed mentally when I have exercised. I then started meditating, I didn't formally take refuge, as I have come to the conclusion that that is given whenever I meditate now, perhaps that should be reevaluated. I started by being mindful of ignorance (avijja) as the basis for suffering and very quickly reached the state which may be familiar with many of you, and is that state of awareness where the luminous mind recognises that form and emptiness are the same. I was able to maintain that state fairly comfortably for a short while. something I realise I had not achieved fully until today. I offer this image again as it speaks volumes, and for those who are unfamiliar with it, it makes light work of what can be a spiritually sapping read:

However, thoughts did arise and the mind wandered after them, and the forms rapidly solidified, and I was able to recognise that I had gone through sankhara (concoction stage) and vinnana (consciousness) before I was able to briefly observe the transition through the other stages to becoming (Bahva), where I let go of the attachment and craving and became mindful of avijja again, and then the forms rapidly dissolved into the luminous mind resting in that awareness, I went through this a few times and when I had finished the sitting meditation I decided not to end the mediation but to observe myself at the craving stage, focusing on craving for one experience in particular. I went on to let myself continue to the birth stage, and noted that I felt unfulfilled by the experience. It was interesting and just before I started this post I offered up this experience for the enlightenment of all beings in the traditional way. Then the thoughts came crashing in around me, feeding of each other and causing more craving but I have been watching them and let them come and go, as much as possible.

My problem: I thought that I had completely missed sankhara each and every time, such that I can only conclude that something was happening where form and emptiness was one, and that there was still a subtle clinging.

My understanding, and correct me if you think I am wrong was this: When I was at the form is emptiness stage there was still this 'I' that was perceiving form and emptiness, and I was ignorant of it, and in reality I was only at the Sankhara stage of interdependent co-arising. I would value any views and support, to help me progress further, to eliminate this subtle I, to experience true emptiness. Then I will be truly happy!

Perhaps I am just impatient?

Mettha

RodrigoDavidcvalue

Comments

• RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran
    Looks like you analyze yourself and your meditation a lot. Do you think this is good for you and your practice?
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    anataman said:

No, just thinking a lot.

anataman
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited February 2014
    anataman said:

My problem: I thought that I had completely missed sankhara each and every time, such that I can only conclude that something was happening where form and emptiness was one, and that there was still a subtle clinging.

My understanding, and correct me if you think I am wrong was this: When I was at the form is emptiness stage there was still this 'I' that was perceiving form and emptiness, and I was ignorant of it, and in reality I was only at the Sankhara stage of interdependent co-arising. I would value any views and support, to help me progress further, to eliminate this subtle I, to experience true emptiness. Then I will be truly happy!

Mettha

For me, when I get to this point, I try to remember duality, the lack of opposites and the middle way. It's hard for me to express properly sometimes but will try to share "my" view from there. Please keep in mind that I certainly am not claiming to know anything or trying to show you what to do and even if I'm right, I am still just some dude pointing to the moon.

When we find ourselves in the flow, there is automatic distinction but when we are the flow there is an awareness beyond self awareness that doesn't discriminate. As soon as a label is used, it's over and we come back to our frame of reference.

I know the yinyang is more a Taoist symbol but let's say yin is self and yang is absolutely everything else. They are seen as opposites but they turn into each other. Yin may be the opposite of yang but there is no opposite for the yinyang. The fine line that distinguishes one from the other is to me, the middle path... The path we walk whether we know it or not.

It is hard to even say "We are one" because to have one, there must be other to use as reference for one. It all just is and it is from an infinite amount of perspectives. Even if we could see through them all at the same time, new ones are born with every being born.

With no true borders, one cannot rightly be defined.

anataman
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Rodrigo said:

Looks like you analyze yourself and your meditation a lot. Do you think this is good for you and your practice?

Thank you for your comment.

Perhaps that may appear to be the case to you, but it's a personality trait, and I recognise it, and know when not to analyse. I find that I become more motivated to meditate and practice when I analyse what I am doing. Hence this post.

So the answer is yes. But when I am in a meditative state then no because the I doing the analysing just brings you out of the state you are attaining. Did you read and understand the post?

Mettha
    edited February 2014
    Chaz said:

anataman said:

No, just thinking a lot.

As I said that's exactly what happened after the meditation, the thinking went crazy, however, I was able to follow the thoughts to the point that produced insight for my Sem thinking mind.

As @Rodrigo pointed out, I analyse myself a lot - isn't that really what we are told to do. Be mindful, and analyse what's going on, and yet not to cling to the analysed i.e. to learn to know when to let go. There is right mindfulness, but when do you know you are experiencing mindfulness correctly. I would suggest after you have analysed yourself a bit.

I was hoping you may have something insightful to say @ Chaz. Oh well, I'll I can only take what is offered.

Mettha
  • RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran
    anataman said:

Did you read and understand the post?

I read it, yes. But I didn't understand all of it. There were some concepts I don't know the meaning and I couldn't tell for sure what was your problem. But this is my fault, not yours :)

anataman
    ourself said:

For me, when I get to this point, I try to remember duality, the lack of opposites and the middle way... Please keep in mind that I certainly am not claiming to know anything or trying to show you what to do and even if I'm right, I am still just some dude pointing to the moon.

When we find ourselves in the flow, there is automatic distinction but when we are the flow there is an awareness beyond self awareness that doesn't discriminate. As soon as a label is used, it's over and we come back to our frame of reference.

I know the yinyang is more a Taoist symbol but let's say yin is self and yang is absolutely everything else. They are seen as opposites but they turn into each other. Yin may be the opposite of yang but there is no opposite for the yinyang. The fine line that distinguishes one from the other is to me, the middle path... The path we walk whether we know it or not.

It is hard to even say "We are one" because to have one, there must be other to use as reference for one. It all just is and it is from an infinite amount of perspectives. Even if we could see through them all at the same time, new ones are born with every being born.

With no true borders, one cannot rightly be defined.

That was a really tasty offering @ourself, thank you, I will reflect on that before performing my formal sitting meditation tomorrow.

To clarify for those reading this post, as it may be misinterpreted, I am not saying in the OP that I was able to say at any one point 'ah here I am in this stage - that labelling would be illusory', I am merely illustrating the process of recognitionthat was going on, and I can reflect on and follow on the thangka. The aim of the 'over-analysis' was to achieve a goal. I don't know what goes on in your mind when you meditate, I've just got to try and comprehend from the way you present it to me from a common structure we share, i.e. our language. Hopefully, someone can say - yes, been there, done that, got the t-shirt, here's what you are doing wrong. Or something similar to @ourself, that I can recognise and be mindful of next time. This is the right view I am looking for.

I know someone's going to say just meditate, and I know how empty that statement is, I often use it myself, but it doesn't help me conquer the obstacles or change the process, if I don't have the right view when I am meditating.

Mettha
    edited February 2014
    Rodrigo said:

anataman said:

Did you read and understand the post?

I read it, yes. But I didn't understand all of it. There were some concepts I don't know the meaning and I couldn't tell for sure what was your problem. But this is my fault, not yours :)

And that is another reason for this post ;)

You can't seek clarity without understanding, that is why I like using the Thangka, it's not all words and you can keep going round and around it, each time picking up a little nugget of wisdom, for instance do you notice how the boddhisattva's finger's shadow is what is eclipsing the moon; it depends on what perspective you have to the source of light. lol

Mettha
  • For you my friend:
    not my words, but if you can intuit them they will solve your dilemma.

http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/2013/11/total-exertion-of-karmic-tendencies.html

Karmic propensity is the whole of one's experiential reality. If one feels like a changeless witness, that experience of feeling like a changeless witness IS that propensity in action, in experience... if one is seeing fully that there's only transience (the radiant flow of sights/sounds/smells/taste/touch/thoughts), that is the actualization of wisdom (of anatta).

If one sees manifestation but appears solid, that's also the view of latent tendency, that view of inherent existence in action. That very feeling of concreteness IS karmic tendency. If one sees this very presence (of any experience - sight, sound, smell, etc) is empty of any it-ness, concreteness, solidity, apparent yet empty, that very vision itself is the actualization of wisdom, it is the total exertion of wisdom, it IS wisdom. Or as Dzogchen puts it - those very five elements (space, wind, fire, water, earth) are wisdoms by nature, so experienced in its actual state, is that actualization of wisdom.

In a way, the view is the experience... every samsaric experience is the total exertion of ignorance along with the 12 links in a single moment. Occasionally ignorant view is forgotten in a peak experience, such a cessation is however non-analytical and merely a passing state, as the conditions for the re-emergence of ignorance and afflictions have not been cut off from its roots. Only the analytical cessation resulting from penetrative prajna wisdom of twofold emptiness can lead to a permanent and quantum shift of perception away from ignorance, what Lankavatara Sutra calls the "turning-about" in the deepest seat of consciousness (but again this deepest seat is not somewhere else but fully manifesting!).

So the karmic tendency, and wisdom, you've been searching for has never been elsewhere but is staring right in your face as your experiential reality all along! Funny how one doesn't see that. That very activity that is mentally fabricated but appearing real as one's only experiential reality at that given moment, just that is the spell of karmic tendency. That activity that is (experienced/seen as) luminous and empty as one's only experiential reality at that given moment is the wisdom.

I remember when Ciaran (of Ruthless Truth) saw the real fiction of self (a process of creative imagination brought into real life, a real creation based on an imaginary character) he wrote that it was a "zen on drugs" moment. Yeah, I can see why he said that!

Thusness commented, "Very good, so the dreams in dreams (http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/buddha-dharma-dream-in-dream.html). Otherwise you are seeing clarity as empty and tendencies as inherent... hiding somewhere."

&

http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.sg/2012/06/emancipation-of-suchness.html

http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.sg/2012/06/buddha-dharma-dream-in-dream.html
    Thanks @taiyaki, for the chewing gum. I will take time to pick away at it, but already get a sense of where it is going, I've been there before, but like everything, revisiting it brings new perspective.

Mettha
  • anataman said:

I recognise it, and know when not to analyse.

I find that I become more motivated to meditate and practice when I analyse what I am doing.

Good

instead of analyzing "what you are 'doing'" analyze what you 'feel'

if you meditate with closed eyes then you 'feel' through ear (sound), body (touch) or mind (thought)
    you can do this analysis when you eat (taste), when you (smell) something through nose and (see) something through eyes

take one at a time at the beginning

and

try to see where are the earth element, water element, fire element, and air element within the ear, sound, eye, form, etc.

analyse one at a time and then ......

no one has to tell you, you will know what you have to do

happy and fruitful meditation !

anataman
  • Were you still suffering? Or did the course layers of suffering temporarily lifted. I ask because some schools of Buddhism yardstick practice by how it relieves suffering.

I liked you post @anatman. The experiences seemed fun. My meditation I mostly just relax though I have had some interesting thoughts they soon dissolve with no trace.
    anataman
  • anataman said:

My understanding, and correct me if you think I am wrong was this: When I was at the form is emptiness stage there was still this 'I' that was perceiving form and emptiness, and I was ignorant of it, and in reality I was only at the Sankhara stage of interdependent co-arising.

In a sense, yes, these are fabrications, albeit skillful ones.

If you want to catch the fabrications in action, watch for how you're shaping your breath, the things you're telling yourself, feelings of pleasure/pain/neutrality, and the labels you're applying to things. Those are the behaviours which come under category of "fabrication."
    anataman
    Jeffrey said:

Were you still suffering? Or did the course layers of suffering temporarily lifted. I ask because some schools of Buddhism yardstick practice by how it relieves suffering.

I liked you post @anatman. The experiences seemed fun. My meditation I mostly just relax though I have had some interesting thoughts they soon dissolve with no trace.

There was no suffering but there was a feeling of bliss.
    edited February 2014
    Thanks @fivebells, I was aware of a lot of what you say but the thought of fabrication is interesting as it resonates with what is happening, it's a long road, there no turning back

hey, wait a minute there are echoes of a past life here - wheres my cd collection; got it - time to chill I think, I am falling in love with this teaching on interdependent co-arising dharma:

@upekka, now I'm a little more relaxed I sense your instruction is sound. What happens if it bears too much fruit, would you like some in return?

Rooting out ignorance is bloody tough though isn't it? However, I shall endeavour to meditate on this again tomorrow morning!

I love buddhism and buddhist's - 'they're so fluffy'! Oops perhaps I am reverting back to my life as a past avatar... Am I in the pure land; sure feels like it at the moment, even though the rest of the world is suffering. Damn thats grounding, I'm supposed to be doing this for their benefit as well. Cushion calls and the bowl sings.

Mettha
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    anataman said:

I was hoping you may have something insightful to say @ Chaz. Oh well, I'll I can only take what is offered.

That is pretty insightful; it just doesn't stroke your ego.

Based on your OP, it sounds to me like you might be getting too conceptual with your meditation. IOW, you're thinking too much, over-analysing what's going on.

Keep it simple. Let go an return to your breath.

anataman
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited February 2014
    anataman said:

What happens if it bears too much fruit,

no worries dear, according to pali-canon there are only four fruits

would you like some in return?
    if one likes or dislikes that means one is with craving
    so
    what i would do is i try my best to get them by my own effort

Rooting out ignorance is bloody tough though isn't it? However, I shall endeavour to meditate on this again tomorrow morning!
    looking at the rate you are working, it seems you are very near at 'plucking' the first fruit
    (i am not quite sure about this, because even one with the Right View (first fruit) can not be mindful all the time )

however

you have to think about 'four types of speech' and see whether you are involve in them

if so that will make rooting out ignorance is tough or your reaching up for the 'fruits' is difficult

(may i ask how long have you been reading/listening Buddha's Teaching and doing meditation- just for the curiosity, no need to answer)

anataman
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited February 2014
    Apologies for the long post which I personally found to be direct and unambiguous.
    We generally conceive the truth as being some thing and Nirvana as being some peaceful state of mind or ecstatic experience. But the Buddha was very careful never to describe the Ultimate Reality or Nirvana – he never said very much about it. People want to know what it is, write books on it and speculate about the nature of Nirvana – but this is exactly what the Buddha did not do.

Instead, he pointed to direct knowing of conditions that change, that which we can know through our own experience at this moment. This is not a matter of believing anyone else. It is a matter of knowing at this moment that whatever arises passes away.

It is important to reflect on the real meaning of ignorance in the sense that the Buddha used it when he called it the origin of all suffering. Being ignorant means that we identify with these conditions by regarding them as me or mine. We have got the idea that we have got to find some permanent pleasant condition, achieve something, get something we do not have. But we can notice that desire in the mind is a moving thing; it is looking for something, so it is a changing condition that arises and passes away – it is not-self (anatta). It is an actual penetration of the very nature of all desires.

As you look carefully, you begin to see that the created arises out of the Uncreated and goes back to the Uncreated; it disappears and there is nothing left. If it was really yours, it would stay. If it was really yours where would it go – to some kind of storehouse of personality? But that concept and whatever you conceive is a condition that arises and passes away. Anytime you try to conceive yourself, any concept or memory of yourself as this or that is only a condition of your mind.

Notice that in your life when you suffer or feel discontent – why? It is because of some attachment, some idea of yourself or someone else.

Buddhist meditation is a way of looking at the conditions of the mind, investigating and seeing what they are, rather than believing in them. So – if you reflect…that is condition of mind that arises and passes away. That condition is dependent upon another condition, memory is what we have experienced, and the future is unknown.

But who is it that knows the conditions of the moment? I can't find it: there is only the knowing, and knowing can know anything that is present now – pleasant of unpleasant – speculations about the future or reminicences of the past – creations of yourself as this or that. You create yourself or the world you live in – so you can't really blame anyone else. If you do do, it is because you are still ignorant. The One Who Knows we call Buddha – but that does not mean that Buddha is a condition. Buddha is the knowing. So Buddhist meditation is really being aware, rather than becoming Buddha. Whatever you are experiencing is a changing condition and not self. You are seeing a perspective of being Buddha, rather than doing something in order to become Buddha. When we talk of sati, mindfullness, this is what we mean.

I am shocked and amazed at many religious people – Christian or Buddhist – who seem to be ignorant regarding the practice of their religion. Few people seem to have any perspective on religious doctrine and belief and disbelief. They do not bother to find out. They are still trying to describe the indescribable, limit the unlimited, know the unknowable. They believe what somebody else has told them.

Nowadays Theravada Buddhist monks will tell you that you cannot get enlightend, there is no way you can even attain stream-entry, the first stage of sainthood – that those days are past. They believe that enlightenment is such a remote possibility that they do not even put forth much effort to see that all that arises passes away.

So monks can spend their lifetimes reading books and translating suttas, still believing that enlightenment is impossible. But then what is the point of religion anyway? Why bother, if the ultimate truth is so remote, such an unlikely possibility?

Gotama the Buddha was one whose wisdom came from observing Nature, the conditions of mind and body. That is not impossible for any of us to do, we all have minds and bodies. All we have to do is to watch them. People say to me, I cannot do all that. I am just an ordinary layperson; when I think of doing all that, I realize I cannot do it, it is too much for me. I say, if you think about it, you cannot do it, that is all. Don’t think about it, just do it.

Thought only takes you to doubt. People who think about life cannot do anything. If it is worth doing, do it. Keep silently listening and watching as a way of life, then you begin to understand conditions. There is nothing to fear. There is nothing you have to get that you do not have. There is nothing to get rid of.

Ajahn Sumedho
    anataman
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    pegembara said:

As you look carefully, you begin to see that the created arises out of the Uncreated and goes back to the Uncreated; it disappears and there is nothing left.
    Ajahn Sumedho

Yes, the created and uncreated. For me this is reminiscent of that verse from the Heart Sutra:
    "All things are the primal void, which is not born or destroyed, nor is it stained or pure, nor does it wax or wane"
    anataman
    anataman said:

@Spinynorman suggested Tonglen to someone this morning. I have not practiced that for some time perhaps, this is something I should explore a bit more.

Yes, that or metta bhavana ( which I personally find more "user-friendly" ). I've found that the Buddhist path can at times be very challenging, and IMO most people would benefit from practices like these.
    anatamanDavidupekka
    anataman said:

It's just that my mindfulness is not ever-present

I doubt there is anyone here who could say that.
    anatamanpegembaraupekka
  • and am only now starting to develop my wisdom mind.
    Cool.
    We laggers need all the help we can get.

Tonglen is an advanced practice. Ideal for beginners and everyone up to advanced, therefore ideal (not all advanced practices are so accommodating).

In developing wisdom mind you have to hear with the other persons ear. Not what they want to hear but what is just within their potential. However try not to get a reputation for being wise otherwise your juggling days are over . . .

Wisdom as with most 'gifts of practice' does not come from theoretical dharma. As you know the Tibetan sangha have two often used symbols: vajra and and bell.

The bell symbolizes compassion, a good heart and vajra wisdom or wisdom and skilfull means or . . .

These must be balanced.

My bell which I found in a junk shop when I needed it, I gave away to a trainee monk. The replacement is a little silver Hindu tinkler and my vajra is an athame letter opener with a skull on it.

Dharma toys are good. Especially when we invest them with power and meaning. Sometimes we can just visualize them or make them.

anatamanChaz
    Thanks @lobster, that was an excellent demonstration of the vajra bell!
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited February 2014
    anataman said:

It's just that my mindfulness is not ever-present

mine too

i try to be with 'seeing', 'hearing', 'feeling' and 'thought' without clinging to perceptions that bring with them

hard but it is not that impossible

i am convinced what i need is Effort to continue this

i noticed if i fail and cling to perception it is inevitable that fabrication (volitional activities) arises and passes away

so there is no Doubt

this is the Path

Jeffrey
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited February 2014
    I didn't really catch this but after re-reading the op its very clear that there is a set up within how you frame your curiosity.

so we have an expectation of say the experience of interdependence or our enlightenment experience and that it will bring a sort of happiness.

so with that is focusing on an image of happiness as the effect of the cause, which is you realizing every instant to be the full exertion of interdependence.

the problem with this is that you're pretty much cutting yourself off from everything else.

and its a pretty common mistake.

we generally use spirituality as a means to what we desire and its pretty innocent. we all want things. happiness, peace of mind, stress relief, love, meditative experiences, and the big old enlightenment experience.

but in my opinion its exactly that whole set up of expectations, which brings the whole process to co-opt itself and turn this whole thing into a suffering mess.

in a very real sense we are indra's net. each moment is the universe giving its best, fresh and unique expression and then gone. This one movement, where individuality and interdependence flourish is the status quo. Not as an idea, but as a lived experiential reality.

And in that there is the whole vision of reality. Which you posted as the wheel of samasara picture. There is the crippling sadness, depression, fear, anger, aloneness, paranoia, greed, love, joy, compassion, equanimity, desire, peace, etc.

Thoughts about this and that. Right and wrong. Left and right.

All of it, I mean all of it is the interdependence of life. and truly we cannot segregate anything, except in the mode of conceptual thinking that we are so accustomed to.

In a very real sense we can stop and start to see the world free from our expectations and concepts. We can learn to feel and experience the world directly with what we have in front of us. It could be pain or love or anything. And out of that arises an action from non-division. And that whole process of the activity of interdependence.

This is just my opinion of course. And more thoughts to communicate that which cannot be communicated.

Hope this reaches you.
    anatamanJeffreylobster
  • *just a note* this doesn't mean you don't strive hard towards your goal, even if its happiness. It's just hold lightly to your expectations and goals. Obviously we all desire happiness and freedom. And we must all work hard towards this. The trick is doing without expectations. Setting goals to give direction, but having no expectations about the whole thing. And in a real sense that is exactly the goal, but one has to realize that themselves experientially.
    anatamanpegembaralobster
    Namaste @taiyaki

I see what you are saying.

Mettha
  • wangchueywangchuey Veteran
    edited February 2014
    I just thought about something abstract in relation to the wheel and wanted to share it with you guys. The figure holding the wheel represents impermanence, but doesn't it seem more fitting to see it as ignorance? Maybe impermanence is not a scary monster at my age, who knows. I just thought that it makes sense to have it represent ignorance because the wheel starts with ignorance, and ignorance does feed on ignorance in reality, and it's getting bigger. Now that...is scary.
    anataman

• wangchuey said:

it makes sense to have it represent ignorance because the wheel starts with ignorance, and ignorance does feed on ignorance in reality, and it's getting bigger. Now that...is scary.

spot on

Ignorance of ignorance begets ignorance. Et voila, we are back where we started.