Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

WTF Just Happened?

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited February 2014 in Buddhism Today
Ok I was sat on my motorbike outside a store at around 2am and I was smoking a cigarette (I do not smoke as a habit just someone I knew gave me 3). Anyway I sat there listening to the insects and various things and then I heard 'ow bai luk' and I turn to see two women dressed as Buddhist nuns, one covering their mouth, I guess from the smoke. I say 'kor taught, kor taught' which means sorry, and they do not reply and walk off to their hotel. 'Ow bai Luk' means to take or give it to your child... WTF just happened seriously?

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    You had an interaction with two others that mystified you.
    cvaluebookworm
  • Maybe they were talking to someone else?
  • I don't know that there are many people that familiar with Thai culture here. Maybe you'd have better luck on dhammawheel?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Tom, any chance you mis-heard what they said?
  • Utter speculation but maybe linked to this??
    http://quit.ca/anti-smoking-commercial-from-thailand/
  • vinlyn said:

Tom, any chance you mis-heard what they said?

There's always a chance I guess but they walked right by me and I am pretty much fluent in Thai.
  • wangchueywangchuey Veteran
    edited February 2014
    This is nothing. She could have just said something random and meaningless. People do that all the time. Time to utilize our practice and not let our monkey mind grasp it. Whatever we grasp will just be another branch that will eventually break off from the bark if we grasp it too long.
    Dakinicvalue
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    I think they were hitting on you.
    xtineInvincible_summer
  • I'm voting for Zero's idea that it was tied to anti-smoking sentiments. Aside from that, I agree with wangchuey about just letting it go, and not puzzling over it too much.
    lobster