Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Cost-cutting measures (excuse the following pun!)

2»

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    @ourself, LOL no huge income. My husband is a tax collector. But we live in a rural area with a much lower cost of living than average.

I always thought haircuts should be based more on the amount of work than just a flat fee. It seems unreasonable to me that someone with a complex hairstyle should pay the same $25 I pay for a 5 minute trim. Also, I don't like that it's done by gender. So a man with long hair or a complex style pays $18 but I still pay $25 even though I have a short, simple style that literally takes a few minutes to trim up just because I'm female. Geez. There's my rant for today, lol.

Because we live in a small town, there is quite a bit of bartering that goes on, which is actually a really nice way to live. I wish the larger world was more like that. My son chops wood with his youth group leader (and he loves to do it) and in exchange, we get free farm fresh eggs. We help a guy with a bad back with his shoveling, and he gives my husband free photography help (the guy is a professional photographer) and borrows him equipment. I pick up another little boy to bring him to preschool because his dad runs a small coffee shop and can't close to run his son to school, and in exchange I get a free cup of coffee delivered to my car door every morning, lol. It's not just the simplicity of using what you have to trade with what someone else has but it's a great sense of community and knowing how to support each other. Everyone has talents and skills and they share them with everyone else in exchange for the other person's skills.

jaeDavid
  • Eh, I spent $60 on a very nice electric clipper and some guards.

I just give myself a buzz cut once a month. It's neat, easy to clean and maintain, still provides the protection that hair is supposed to, and honestly doesn't look too bad. And it saves me so, so much more money. I mean barbers will charge insane amounts fo what amounts to rubbing my head with a guarded clipper for five minutes.
    Bunks
  • The next time you buy dishwashing liquid save the old empty container. Fill it with water, and add about a tablespoon of new detergent. The resulting very dilute solution cleans just as well as full strength. You just need a little bit of detergent in the water, it doesn't really matter what the concentration is. It feels weird to use because the thickeners are also diluted so it seems runny, but it works perfectly well.

When I had very long hair I did the same thing with shampoo. Shampoo actually works better when diluted (as opposed to just as well for dish detergent) because it has more thickeners in it. The thickeners make it seem more concentrated, and people will pay more for thicker shampoo, but it lathers much more easily after you dilute the methyl cellulose.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2014
    federica said:

......What I do is to buy good quality products at a pound/99p store - then dilute them 50% with water. These work just as well and last twice as long, because you can still use the same amount in your hand you normally would. In fact, I have even used part of an already-diluted product and added yet more water, with no deterioration in efficacy.

Yup.... this is where reading a thread is helpful..... ;)
    But it's such a good idea, it's been posted twice!! :D

Vastmind
  • DharmaMcBumDharmaMcBum Spacebus Wheelman York, UK Veteran
    federica said:

federica said:

......What I do is to buy good quality products at a pound/99p store - then dilute them 50% with water. These work just as well and last twice as long, because you can still use the same amount in your hand you normally would. In fact, I have even used part of an already-diluted product and added yet more water, with no deterioration in efficacy.

Yup.... this is where reading a thread is helpful..... ;)
    But it's such a good idea, it's been posted twice!! :D

That's because the idea was diluted, they were concentrating it again :D
    Bunksfederica
  • Either barber shop or just shave my head and look like Bryan Cranston. I smoke pipes instead of cigarettes, and donate all my charity to cancer research strategically ;) I drink cranberry juice instead of alcohol. Adopt old geezer animals (15 year old cat and 9 year old Great Dane) instead of buying expensive puppies.
    yildun
  • Hi
    When its cold we buy a candle and
    ifs it really bitter cold we light it.

slainte
    DairyLamaBunksjae