Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

True believers will not be harmed. lol.

cvaluecvalue Veteran
edited February 2014 in General Banter
US snake-handling pastor dies of snakebite after refusing treatment

Kentucky pentecostalist Jamie Coots, who defied laws against use of poisonous snakes, turned down treatment for wound

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/17/kentucky-snake-handling-pastor-dies-snakebite-
Snake-handling, which is illegal in most places, is practiced as a test of faith and guided by the theory that true believers will not be harmed.
Appearing last year on ABC’s Nightline, Coots said he had been bitten nine times, including once that cost him a part of a finger. “If the Bible told me to jump out of an airplane, I would,” he said on the show.
DairyLama

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited February 2014
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.067.than.html

AN 4.67
    PTS: A ii 72
    Ahina Sutta: By a Snake

On one occasion the Blessed One was staying near Savatthi in Jeta's Grove, Anathapindika's monastery. Now, at that time in Savatthi a certain monk had died after having been bitten by a snake. Then a large number of monks went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down to him, sat to one side. As they were sitting there they said to him, "Lord, just now in Savatthi a certain monk died after having been bitten by a snake."

"Then it's certain, monks, that that monk didn't suffuse the four royal snake lineages with a mind of good will. For if he had suffused the four royal snake lineages with a mind of good will, he would not have died after having been bitten by a snake. Which four? The Virupakkha royal snake lineage,[1] the Erapatha royal snake lineage, the Chabyaputta royal snake lineage, the Dark Gotamaka royal snake lineage. It's certain that that monk didn't suffuse these four royal snake lineages with a mind of good will. For if he had suffused these four royal snake lineages with a mind of good will, he would not have died after having been bitten by a snake. I allow you, monks, to suffuse these four royal snake lineages with a mind of good will for the sake of self-protection, self-guarding, self-preservation."
    I have good will for the Virupakkhas, good will for the Erapathas, good will for the Chabyaputtas, good will for the Dark Gotamakas.

I have good will for footless beings, good will for two-footed beings, good will for four-footed beings, good will for many-footed beings. May footless beings do me no harm. May two-footed beings do me no harm. May four-footed beings do me no harm. May many-footed beings do me no harm. May all creatures, all breathing things, all beings — each & every one — meet with good fortune. May none of them come to any evil.

he obviously didn't listen to the Buddha and have metta for the snakes :) True practitioners of the dhamma will not be harmed, dhamma protects.

The book I'm reading about the wandering monks in Thailand a hundred years ago talks about the accounts of the monks who encountered tigers and snakes. Ajahn Chah came up with a firm resolution: " if I have wronged you in a former life I give you my body friend, but if I have not leave me be so I can meditate".

Then of course there is the famous Ajahn Brahm story of him peeing on what he thought was a log but it was a snake lol.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I'm sure when he stands before God, God will say to him "So...that little Adam and Eve fairytale didn't teach you nuthin', huh? Dumbass....."

God has Good Will towards all beings, but I'm sure certain idiots make him roll his eyes heaven-wards......Oh..... hang on.....
    Hondenanataman
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited February 2014
    Well, even if he died due to ignorance I feel it is not of right thought to be so condescending about his death and his religious beliefs. At the end of the day, someone still died. Just because he made a mistake does not give us leeway to think so poorly of him. I would be a little ashamed of myself, to be honest.

Just my two cents.
  • cvaluecvalue Veteran
    edited February 2014
    Yes @Zayl, you are right. I already feel ashamed for bringing up the subject as lol. I will remember not to repeat the same mistake again. Thank you.
    lobster
  • Zayl said:

Well, even if he died due to ignorance I feel it is not of right thought to be so condescending about his death and his religious beliefs. At the end of the day, someone still died. Just because he made a mistake does not give us leeway to think so poorly of him. I would be a little ashamed of myself, to be honest.

Just my two cents.

He refused treatment. Even when he was unconscious his family would not allow him to be treated by paramedics who were right there and could have saved his life.
    It may not be funny, but it is bizarre and I wouldn't bother feeling any shame about having a condescending chuckle or two.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    I'm with you on this, Robot. I'll bet a lot of the people in his community laughed, too. There's nothing so silly in all the world as false pride. What a waste. The possible ramifications of such intransigence are so scary that one almost needs to laugh to keep from crying.
  • How's the snake doing ?
    Tosh
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Probably been left with a nasty taste in his mouth and has made a mental note to self to review diet....
    Bunks
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2014
    And yet who here has not met their own spiritual hubris at some time or other.
    cvalue
    Me. Never. I avoid it like the plague. No hubris here, thanks... ;)
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited February 2014
    how said:

I was with a group of young western
    Vajrayana monks at Samye Ling...I wasn't not a monk you understand.
    Behind the monastery there is a a fast flowing narrow river.
    One of the young monks stood on the frozen river ice and shouted at the sky 'If there is a God let the ice break ! '
    The was a sharp cracking sound.....
    We had to pull him out.
    Which was hard because we were all crying with laughter.

BunkscvalueNirvanaDairyLama
    Citta said:

how said:

I was with a group of young western
    Vajrayana monks at Samye Ling...I wasn't not a monk you understand.
    Behind the monastery there is a a fast flowing narrow river.
    One of the young monks stood on the frozen river ice and shouted at the sky 'If there is a God let the ice break ! '
    The was a sharp cracking sound.....
    We had to pull him out.
    Which was hard because we were all crying with laughter.

Did he become a snake handling Christian after that?
  • No. Just a quieter and more subdued monk. For about a week.
    Citta said:

No. Just a quieter and more subdued monk. For about a week.

NDEs will do that lol.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    cvalue said:

“If the Bible told me to jump out of an airplane, I would,” he said on the show.

Did people start leafing through the old Testament to look for an appropriate verse? :p