Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What would you say?

I was once meditating in a public park, sitting cross-legged on top of a picnic table and enjoying a bit of fresh air with my practice, when a child's voice intruded.

"Watcha doing?"

I looked over to see a young girl, of maybe 6 years old or so, standing next to the table.

"I'm meditating," I said.

"What's that?" she replied.

So this was going to be one of those conversations. "It's where I sit down and pay attention to my own thoughts," I said, trying to find words she'd understand.

"Oh," she replied, then "Why?"

"So I can learn about how my mind works."

"Oh." She picked at a scab on her elbow while she thought about this. "Sounds boring. You must have learned a lot. What did you learn?"

So how would you answer this child?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    "I learned it's really hard to keep my Mind quiet, when others are bothering me. That's a real exercise in self-control...."

*back to meditating*....
    CinorjerDharmaMcBumInvincible_summer
  • RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran
    I think I would say that I haven't really learned anything significant yet. But that's ok.
    BhikkhuJayasaraCinorjerInvincible_summer
  • I personally always allow the child to direct the conversations for me. This way they are more interested. Children dont like to listen unless it is something that they want to talk about. Actually, not just children, everybody.
    CinorjerDharmaMcBum
  • "That everything is alright."
    Cinorjerjae
  • "Ask me again when you're seven."
    Cinorjerseeker242Invincible_summer
  • @seeker242 I like your answer.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited February 2014
    I like all the answers.

By the way, this actually did happen to me years ago, and I remember my mind went completely blank and I had no answer. In the end, all I did was something like shugging my shoulders and saying, "I don't know."

But by then, the girl was more interested in showing me her scab and explaining how she got it.
  • Nice.

Meditation is more about unlearning; about observing how thoughts dissolve.
    Imho that’s why answering questions about the goal and benefit of meditation is so hard.
    The goal and benefit of meditation dissolve in the process of meditating.

Usually I just say that meditating is fun to do; that I enjoy it.

Cinorjer
  • Ask her about homework - she will quickly stop bothering you.
    JeffreyCinorjeranataman
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2014
    I would say that my mind is clear light. And then when she asks what is clear light I would say that I couldn't explain it and she would have to try meditating to find out. But I would say that the mind can be trained how to think without boredom, confusion, anger, and greed.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I'd say I learned about how what I do affects others and that happiness really is a choice. It's hard to explain and there's always something new so maybe we could exchange notes if you ever give it a try.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited February 2014
    'That I'm daydreaming again'
    Cinorjer
  • DharmaMcBumDharmaMcBum Spacebus Wheelman York, UK Veteran
    I learned that it's quiet inside when I meditate and I like to take the quiet with me when I come back out of the meditation.
    Cinorjer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @Cinorjer
    My first thought...to "what did you learn?" was
    I learned that my inside and outside are only separated by my attention.
    but that changed... & changed again...because
    all of our answers are in reply to a story that is really yours. I'd just let your meditation answer...and it sounds like that's just what you did.
    Cinorjer
  • "Everything"
    Cinorjer
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    I think I'd change the subject. :p
    Cinorjer
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Thanks a lot, Kid... Now I have to start all over!
    Cinorjer
  • yagryagr Veteran
    That I should stop whatever I am doing and listen to and learn from any six year old who, in response to “To learn how my mind works.” suggests that I must have learned a lot and asks me what it is that I've learned.
    Cinorjer
  • Cinorjer said:

I was once meditating in a public park, sitting cross-legged on top of a picnic table and enjoying a bit of fresh air with my practice, when a child's voice intruded.

"Watcha doing?"

I looked over to see a young girl, of maybe 6 years old or so, standing next to the table.

"I'm meditating," I said.

"What's that?" she replied.

So this was going to be one of those conversations. "It's where I sit down and pay attention to my own thoughts," I said, trying to find words she'd understand.

"Oh," she replied, then "Why?"

"So I can learn about how my mind works."

"Oh." She picked at a scab on her elbow while she thought about this. "Sounds boring. You must have learned a lot. What did you learn?"

So how would you answer this child?

I wouldn't answer yet. I'll learn to explain colours to the blind first.
    Cinorjer
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    That the important things in life are not things you can put into words, but must see inside yourself.
    Cinorjer