Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Kennedy and Lincoln Coincidences

edited November 2006 in General Banter
Hi all,

laughter...

Abraham Lincoln: Elected to Congress in 1846.
John F. Kennedy: Elected to Congress in 1946.

Abraham Lincoln: Elected President in 1860.
John F. Kennedy: Elected President in 1960.

The names Lincoln and Kennedy each contain seven letters. :)

Both were particularly concerned with civil rights.

Both had wives who lost their children while living in the White House.

Both Presidents were shots on a Friday. :)

Both were shot in the head. :)

Lincoln's secretary, Kennedy, warned him not to go to the theatrw.
Kennedy's secretaryz, Lincoln, warned him not to go to Dallas.

Both Lincoln and Kennedy were assassinated by Southerner.

Both were succeeded by Southerners.

Both successors were named Johnson.

Andrew Johnson, who succeededo Lincoln, was born in 1808.
Lyndon Johnson, who succeeded Kennedy, was borny in 1908.

John Wilkes Booth was born inq 1839.
Lee Harveys Oswald was born in 1939.

Both assassins were known by theirr three names.

Both names are comprised of 15 letters. :)

Booth ran from the theater and was caughtq in a warehouse.
Oswald ran fromh a warehouse and was caught in a theater.

Booth and Oswald were assassinated before theirk trials.

How do you think: Government conspiracy or Coincidences? ;)

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2006
    Karma and re-birth? Groundhog day?

More laughter.

welcome, by the way.

Who are you? :)
  • edited November 2006
    Very entertaining.

And I think there's a warning there too. It illustrates how "patterns" occur naturally without anyone actually putting them there. Or perhaps it would be more accurate to say that it shows how the human mind perceives "patterns" that have no existence outside the mind. Yet how often we see such "patterns" cited as evidence (or even proof) for the existence of conspiracy theories, government cover ups, or of a deity.

Martin.
  • edited November 2006
    I see them as nothing at all but some desire to find a pattern. While there are resemblances, I can see no conclusion to draw upon it.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2006
    If it is a centuries-long conspiracy cui bono? Who profits? Who is behind it?

Some suggestions might include the 'Illuminati' or the 'Masons' or the 'Priory of Sion' - pity they were only made up between the two events - or, perhaps, the other great fictitious conspirator: the Roman Catholic Church? Or was it spacemen or elves?

In a universe that is so immensely old (in our terms), the chance of coincidence on such a local and tiny timescale must be equally immense.

Could this not be another case of a cigar being nothing more than a good smoke? (And that remark contains no disrespect to any President or ex-President of the USA, living, partially living or dead)
  • edited November 2006
    If it is a centuries-long conspiracy cui bono? Who profits? Who is behind it?

Some suggestions might include the 'Illuminati' or the 'Masons' or the 'Priory of Sion' - pity they were only made up between the two events - or, perhaps, the other great fictitious conspirator: the Roman Catholic Church? Or was it spacemen or elves?

In a universe that is so immensely old (in our terms), the chance of coincidence on such a local and tiny timescale must be equally immense.

Could this not be another case of a cigar being nothing more than a good smoke? (And that remark contains no disrespect to any President or ex-President of the USA, living, partially living or dead)

Simon,

I have heard these particular parallels mentioned before in previous history classes I have taken and I am of the opinion that they are mentioned simply to give people something to think about and nothing more. Who knows, my friend, who knows? I also think that it is simply coincidence and nothing more.

Adiana:type: :usflag:
    edited November 2006
    Adiana wrote:
    Simon,

I have heard these particular parallels mentioned before in previous history classes I have taken and I am of the opinion that they are mentioned simply to give people something to think about and nothing more. Who knows, my friend, who knows? I also think that it is simply coincidence and nothing more.

Adiana:type: :usflag:

Here's another one - and this one actually may have made a difference:

On Sunday 28th June 1914, the Archduke Franz Ferdinand, heir to the throne of the Austro-Hungarian Empire was assassinated. This provoked the Emperor to mobilise against Serbia and Russia came in on the Serbian side. Bingo! WW1.

At exactly the same moment that Princip was killing the Archduke, Rasputin was stabbed as he came out of church in his home town in Siberia. He was totally opposed to any war and, had he been in Saint Petersburg, could have prevented Russian mobilisation. By the time he had recovered, it was too late.
  • edited November 2006
    Simon,

Yeah, I read that one as well and it gave me cold chills!

Adiana:type: :eek: :usflag:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2006
    There are no coincidences. Think that one over!

Palzang
  • edited November 2006
    That's very interesting, Simon! Wow. My daughter's new favorite movie is "Anastasia" and Rasputin scares her!
    edited November 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    That's very interesting, Simon! Wow. My daughter's new favorite movie is "Anastasia" and Rasputin scares her!

Your daughter is wise to be scared of Father Gregori. He was certainly not the cuddly type, although he clearly had something: his bed was warmed by some of the highest in the empire. He held the view that only by committing great sins could we receive great grace - a rather attractive doctrine for the highly-sexed glutton.

He appears to have had some healing powers and was deeply opposed to foreign wars.

Not all bad but still pretty scary.
  • edited November 2006
    His story is very fascinating to me. I didn't know much about him, but then watched the movie with my daughter, and then I read a bit about him. His healing powers were very interesting!
    edited November 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    His story is very fascinating to me. I didn't know much about him, but then watched the movie with my daughter, and then I read a bit about him. His healing powers were very interesting!

Begs a question, doesn't it.

We are more or less OK with a healer/thaumaturge who is clearly a 'good' person but here we someone who is deliberately sinning and not the sort of person one would want as a house-guest (apparently he was very smelly, too). How do we reconcile his healing gifts with his debauchery?

The same problem exists when we look at the history of the 14 Dalai Lamas: some of them were far from being the "simple Buddhist monk" of today!
  • edited November 2006
    Rasputin has always frightened me. His life is strange and his death even more bizarre. And on the question of his healing gifts, I don't know. I am skeptical of that.

When it comes to strange occurences, I have no problem accepting 'coincidence' to be the answer. Honestly, what else is there? It is much easier to accept than destiny, fate, or divine intervention.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Here's another one - and this one actually may have made a difference:

On Sunday 28th June 1914, the Archduke Franz Ferdinand, heir to the throne of the Austro-Hungarian Empire was assassinated. This provoked the Emperor to mobilise against Serbia and Russia came in on the Serbian side. Bingo! WW1.

At exactly the same moment that Princip was killing the Archduke, Rasputin was stabbed as he came out of church in his home town in Siberia. He was totally opposed to any war and, had he been in Saint Petersburg, could have prevented Russian mobilisation. By the time he had recovered, it was too late.

Karma's a bitch, ainit?

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2006
    If one believes in the Buddha's teaching that all things are connected, then it logically follows that there are no coincidences. It's not destiny, fate, divine intervention or anything like that. It's simply that all things are connected. As they say in astrology, "As above, so below." What that means is that we can't disconnect ourselves from the rest of the world. We're all one. Literally.

There's a similar phenomenon in quantum physics. Take two paired particles, such as photons, which exhibit opposite spins, and separate them. If you change the spin on one of the particles, the other particle reverses its spin instantaneously.
    It doesn't matter if they're across the room or across the universe, they behave the same way. This has been proven experimentally, by the way. So they're connected obviously, but how? So even though they "exist" in two widely separated places, they function as if they were one piece.

I think it's very much the same thing that we're talking about here. Everything is connected. Maybe not in this exact way, but nothing exists separately. It's called Indra's Net in Buddhist teachings. Its center is any point in the net. Like Borges' library.

Mind-bending, but fascinating.

Palzang
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Pelethan wrote:
    Hi all,

laughter...

Abraham Lincoln: Elected to Congress in 1846.
    John F. Kennedy: Elected to Congress in 1946.

Abraham Lincoln: Elected President in 1860.
    John F. Kennedy: Elected President in 1960.

The names Lincoln and Kennedy each contain seven letters. :)

Both were particularly concerned with civil rights.

Both had wives who lost their children while living in the White House.

Both Presidents were shots on a Friday. :)

Both were shot in the head. :)

Lincoln's secretary, Kennedy, warned him not to go to the theatrw.
    Kennedy's secretaryz, Lincoln, warned him not to go to Dallas.

Both Lincoln and Kennedy were assassinated by Southerner.

Both were succeeded by Southerners.

Both successors were named Johnson.

Andrew Johnson, who succeededo Lincoln, was born in 1808.
    Lyndon Johnson, who succeeded Kennedy, was borny in 1908.

John Wilkes Booth was born inq 1839.
    Lee Harveys Oswald was born in 1939.

Both assassins were known by theirr three names.

Both names are comprised of 15 letters. :)

Booth ran from the theater and was caughtq in a warehouse.
    Oswald ran fromh a warehouse and was caught in a theater.

Booth and Oswald were assassinated before theirk trials.

How do you think: Government conspiracy or Coincidences? ;)

nice got any others?:rocker:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    If one believes in the Buddha's teaching that all things are connected, then it logically follows that there are no coincidences. It's not destiny, fate, divine intervention or anything like that. It's simply that all things are connected. As they say in astrology, "As above, so below." What that means is that we can't disconnect ourselves from the rest of the world. We're all one. Literally.

There's a similar phenomenon in quantum physics. Take two paired particles, such as photons, which exhibit opposite spins, and separate them. If you change the spin on one of the particles, the other particle reverses its spin instantaneously.
    It doesn't matter if they're across the room or across the universe, they behave the same way. This has been proven experimentally, by the way. So they're connected obviously, but how? So even though they "exist" in two widely separated places, they function as if they were one piece.

I think it's very much the same thing that we're talking about here. Everything is connected. Maybe not in this exact way, but nothing exists separately. It's called Indra's Net in Buddhist teachings. Its center is any point in the net. Like Borges' library.

Mind-bending, but fascinating.

Palzang
    Great post! The First Noble Truth and equanimity are two things that so often pop up in my thoughts that I can't help contemplating their meaning but I don't contemplate the reality of interconnection nearly enough. Your post has caught my imagination, Palzang. Thanks!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2006
    You know, Brigid, my teacher said something very interesting once, sort of an aside during one of her teachings, a throwaway line, if you will. In modern physics there is much talk of finding the one law that would describe all energy states. There is also the effort to understand the true nature of matter and energy and subatomic particles and all that. In cosmology scientists grapple with mind-blowing issues on a vast scale, the nature of space and time, string theory, are there other universes, dark matter, and so forth. She said they'll never understand it as long as they stick to the four dimensions of space and time. Without the fifth dimension, compassion, the answers will continue to elude them. That's something I still contemplate a lot because I don't pretend to understand what she meant, but I feel it's of ultimate importance somehow.

Palzang