Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A wonderfull Zen story I heard the other day

edited December 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Hello again all :) . I doubt anybody remembers me since I haven't posted here for several months, but recently I heard this story that really struck a chord with me, and it made me think of the good people back on these boards. I've definately gained a little insight about my life in the past while, and now I'm finally getting back into my buddhist practices. I think it was actually the best thing I could have done for my path, to abondon the teachings for a little while and just experience life and see what I could learn from it of my own accord. Mind you I never abandoned the valuable lessons buddhism has taught me in percieving my world, but those perceptions have become a lot clearer since I just stepped back and kept them in mind, without actually practicing the meditation, diet, memorizations and so forth. I guess once I stepped out of the room, I could see the whole building from the outside, then go back in with a better undstanding of its structure.

anywhoo, I'm getting off track here, but there's a brief description of why I'm back. I definately see myself getting back here and more involved in the discussions again.

Now, to the story:

Once, in ancient Japan, there was a little buddhist monestary where there lived a little buddhist monk. He was a very small man, with a very humble aura about him.

One day a Samurai came to the temple to ask him something he had been contemplating for a while. This samurai was reverred as one of the greatest warriors in the area. He was over 6 feet tall, had broad shoulders and ripplings muscles, and an infamous temper as well.

The samurai approached this little, humble monk and asked him "please, tell me the nature of heaven and hell". The monk gave him one a brief look-over and said "no, you disgust me. Your armour is poorly kept, your stance is that of a coward, your sword is filthy and unkempt, you disgrace the whole samurai class with every breath you take".
The samurai was enraged. Utterly furious, to see such insult and insolence from this monk. In a fit of rage he whipped out his sword and raised it to cut off the monks head. Just as he was about to deliver the killer blow, the monk said to him "THAT, is hell..."
The samurai was stunned. He was struck with the instant realization and awe that this poor, helpless little man was about to give up his life just to teach him this lesson, to help him understand what was bothering him. Slowly he lowered the sword as a wave of admiration gratitude came over him. "that", replied the monk, "is heaven."

Comments

• not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited November 2006
    That's a good one. It is very direct & reminds us that the teachings are on heaven and hell are not merely esoteric in nature. I really do like koans. If I had a Zen Center around here, I would definitely be going. Anyway, here are a couple of links. The should contain most of the major cases (koans), though they do not offer very much context for them:

http://www.ashidakim.com/zenkoans/zenindex.html
    http://www.ibiblio.org/zen/cgi-bin/koan-index.pl

Anyway, I do think that taking a step back from 'Buddhism' is important from time to time, especially at the beginning. Otherwise, we run the risk of simply becoming a buddhist, rather than a Buddha. Focusing too hard on the teachings can be unsettling & is not necessarily conducive to good practice & the development of insight. This plays back to the metaphor of the violin. If you wind the strings too tightly, they will break. If you wind them too loosely, they will not sound. But if you wind them rightly, they will play beautiful melodies.

Take care & good to see you've returned to practice/study (and here).

_/\_
    metta
  • edited November 2006
    Going back and forth, zig zagging on our path is just natural. I do it with my sitting.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, I did the same thing. It's very natural and, I think, very healthy.

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2006
    Mr. Devious, you are remembered.

Nice tale.

Welcome back.

Where you bin!?
  • edited November 2006
    federica wrote:
    Mr. Devious, you are remembered.

Nice tale.

Welcome back.

Where you bin!?

I'm remembered? awsome! and I remember you as well federica :)

Is Buddhafoot still hanging around these days?

I can't say I've "bin" anywhere really. All summer I was in INTENSE pain (which is now under control with a coctail of tramadol, celebrix, ibeprophen, cannabis, meditation, and dietary changes), then I've been busy with my political science and english courses. lol, I especially like my english teacher, he's a cool guy and as big an Iron Maiden fan as I am.

actually, something I should share with everybody here; After some research I've recently changed my diet by basically switching my grain/starch consumption around with fruits. The past 2 weeks I've been eating assorted fruit as my primary food every day, with proteins, vegies, and grains in only one small meal per day. My mental and physical energy has at least doubled, my intellectual and memory capacity are working at 100% optimization, and my depression (as a result of being in pain a lot) is totally gone. In fact even when I'm in exceptionally bad pain I don't get depressed of upset about it at all anymore. You guys should seriously give this diet a try, the results are remarkable.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2006
    As I a touching the menopause, I'm looking for all kinds of ways to keep fit and healthy, and to keep my weight down, and level my moods. At the moment, I am on a low carb (self-motivated) regime, and I'm feeling good. I take some natural hormonal supplements, so I too am not doing badly, but it sounds as if what you are doing is working really well for you, Mr D. ....

Pity about the memory though...not working as well as it could....if it were....

YOU'D REMEMBER TO COME IN A BIT MORE OFTEN - !!:poke: :lol:
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Fede,

May I send my condolences? The menopause in women and prostate enlargement in men as we move into the Tribe of the Elders are, to me, clear examples that there is no such thing as "intelligent design"!

If there is a deity and if, post mortem, one can address such and get an answer, I shall be taking this up with same: definite design flaws to be rectified next time round.

BTW, it is interesting to note that Jesus cured lepers, the blind, etc., even raised the dead but no mention of hot flushes or the inability to pass water! Or, as one NY gay friend put it, any sympathy for gay men with small dicks!!!

Getting older can be a real bastarrd, can't it. I trust that your journey is not too painful.
    edited November 2006
    I guess it's going a bit off-topic, so apologies to Mr. D....

To be honest with you Simon, I am not looking forward to my menopause per se, with any sense of regret, fear or trepidation... However, I do understand that associated problems, such as prostate problems, are in themselves an uncomfortable and UNwelcome inconvenience, and as such, should be treated well, and with sympathy and respect.
    No, to my mind, my menopause is taking me to a different and exciting plane of womanhood... something to be looked forward to as a challenge, and a change that I hope heralds a development towards a wiser 'Elder' me...

I find it a curious thing that whilst much is vaunted as an aid and support to those going through an hormonal change, at this stage of our lives (diets, self-help books, food supplements, hormonal medications,) when you consider the opposite - that is to say, adolescence and pubery - the changing phase from childhood into adulthood - there is nothing put forward to help the young through this traumatic and restless, uncertain and at times, distressing upheaval. And they have to concentrate on their studies, too....!

Unfair! (also with reference to our less well-endowed gay friends!)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Fede,

May I send my condolences? The menopause in women and prostate enlargement in men as we move into the Tribe of the Elders are, to me, clear examples that there is no such thing as "intelligent design"!

If there is a deity and if, post mortem, one can address such and get an answer, I shall be taking this up with same: definite design flaws to be rectified next time round.

BTW, it is interesting to note that Jesus cured lepers, the blind, etc., even raised the dead but no mention of hot flushes or the inability to pass water! Or, as one NY gay friend put it, any sympathy for gay men with small dicks!!!

Getting older can be a real bastarrd, can't it. I trust that your journey is not too painful.
    ROTFLMAO!!!!!
  • edited December 2006
    mr-devious wrote:
    Hello again all :) . I doubt anybody remembers me since I haven't posted here for several months, but recently I heard this story that really struck a chord with me, and it made me think of the good people back on these boards. I've definately gained a little insight about my life in the past while, and now I'm finally getting back into my buddhist practices. I think it was actually the best thing I could have done for my path, to abondon the teachings for a little while and just experience life and see what I could learn from it of my own accord. Mind you I never abandoned the valuable lessons buddhism has taught me in percieving my world, but those perceptions have become a lot clearer since I just stepped back and kept them in mind, without actually practicing the meditation, diet, memorizations and so forth. I guess once I stepped out of the room, I could see the whole building from the outside, then go back in with a better undstanding of its structure.

anywhoo, I'm getting off track here, but there's a brief description of why I'm back. I definately see myself getting back here and more involved in the discussions again.

[/B]

Thanks, I rather enjoyed that. One to work in to, that's for sure.
  • edited December 2006
    mr-devious wrote:
    Is Buddhafoot still hanging around these days?

I actually, something I should share with everybody here; After some research I've recently changed my diet by basically switching my grain/starch consumption around with fruits. The past 2 weeks I've been eating assorted fruit as my primary food every day, with proteins, vegies, and grains in only one small meal per day. My mental and physical energy has at least doubled, my intellectual and memory capacity are working at 100% optimization, and my depression (as a result of being in pain a lot) is totally gone. In fact even when I'm in exceptionally bad pain I don't get depressed of upset about it at all anymore. You guys should seriously give this diet a try, the results are remarkable.

Buddhfoot shows his ugly mug every once in a while, but not as often as he used to. I miss that little stinker. :(

Anyways, I remember you as well, and thank you for sharing that GREAT story. I love it.

Also, so glad to hear you are feeling so great after changing your diet a bit. It sounds a lot like my diet. Are you following the "Raw Foods Diet"? It sort of sounds like that. For the most part, the only things that I eat are raw fruits and veggies all day, some raw goats milk and some seeds/nuts/sprouts. And I feel better than I ever have. I don't really eat any cooked grains anymore - my digestive system does not like them. It took a while to figure out that's what was causing my "issues", but now I am doing great! This diet defnitely is amazing. Glad you are doing so well!!!