Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Throwing stones.

In legend at least, in the middle of the Scottish Highlands miles from any building there is a notice board.

The only words it bears say;

PLEASE DO NOT THROW STONES AT THIS NOTICE BOARD

I am trying to learn not to throw stones at notices ...this is a particular temptation when I don't see the relevance of that notice.

Or when I disagree with it.

Or when it displays a particular creed that I have disproved... to my own satisfaction at least.

Its hard, some notice boards are very tempting.

yagrBunksLostSoul

Comments

• Aspiring_BuddhistAspiring_Buddhist Seeker of the Buddha Within WA Veteran

I struggle with the same notice boards from time to time. I've found the best success with imagining what it would be like for me if it was my notice board - how would I want it treated?

If I really don't like what the billboard says, I try (not always successful) to remind myself that people come to the conclusions that they do because they haven't been exposed to the same information, experiences, context, or education that I have.

When all else fails, I remind myself that not everyone has realized their inner Buddha seed yet. The potential is there, and hopefully it will grow.

Citta
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Don't throw stones and hide your hand, either.

Kundo
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Kundo
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

What if you stop and pet them and talk nice to them? Can't that be part of your journey? :D

VastmindKundo

:bowdown: that is the journey! lol

Vastmind
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Citta said:
    In legend at least, in the middle of the Scottish Highlands miles from any building there is a notice board.

But Haggis is ok. Who wants to eat that stuff anyway?
    :crazy:

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2014

Me. :) I love it. Wth tatties , neeps, and a wee drop of malt.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

oh no, not haggis! :eek:
    My family is Finnish. We eat fish soaked in lye. Well, they do. I do not. No thanks. I'll pass on lutefisk.

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Citta said:
    Me. :) I love it. Wth tatties , neeps, and a wee drop of malt.

That wee drop might be more than one ;) My father's side are Scottish and I can't stand the stuff. But I love trying to throw it at the Highland Gathering :D It's heaps of fun

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2014

Just as I ask vegetarians what they have against vegetables, I ask what silly notice boards have against rocks.

Kundo
  • CittaCitta Veteran

oh its not the notice boards that object. its those that put them up.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2014

Bed...Nighty night all.

Kundo
    edited March 2014

Hope you're not sleeping in a glass house tonight!

Kundo
  • Time has changed. Those days when there is no notice board, people threw stones at adulterers.

• LostSoulLostSoul Veteran
    edited March 2014

@Citta said:

I am trying to learn not to throw stones at notices ...this is a particular temptation when I don't see the relevance of that notice.

Or when I disagree with it.

Or when it displays a particular creed that I have disproved... to my own satisfaction at least.

Its hard, some notice boards are very tempting.

Wow thank you for this I think I can relate

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@dhammachick said:
    :crazy:

(I adore haggis!!)

• robotrobot Veteran

@federica said:
    (I adore haggis!!)

Liver flavored porridge. Yum!

how
  • CittaCitta Veteran

@robot said:

You are not cooking it right !

It should have a soft but still firm texture...there is a veggie version.