Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What are your thoughts on auras?

What are your thoughts on auras? I know this isn't really a Buddhist concept, but I was curious as to see what other Buddhists opinions on auras and what the color may mean to them; white, blue, green purple? Just some queries I was looking to establish. Although I have been a practicing Buddhist for a few years now (and non-practicing for almost a decade before that) I still enjoy learning about other "out there" spiritual practices, even though I don't necessarily believe in all of them. If anyone has useful information on this subject feel free to teach, and if you have any personal interpretations this is also welcome :)

Comments

• Sorry this was meant to be posted under other religions P:

• You can never segregate the interpretation from the perception.

So for instance red may mean different things to the individual interpreting based on their view be it cultural or personality. It could also be different based on the system or spiritual path one is on. Not all spiritual paths have a perennial vision.

Just as a personal opinion of mine. Auras are just another way for people sense into energy. Some people feel energy. Some people hear it. Energy is subtle thoughts and attention movements.

On a gross level if you are angry you are fuming with warm, passionate energy. Or if we are tired we feel a lack of energy.

This energy when one learns to peel back the concepts and work directly with the non-conceptual aspects of our experience becomes more apparent. But its subtle thoughts. Almost like impressions or gestures of thoughts.

The problem with interpreting is simple from a dharma point of view. We have to ask ourselves. If we see an aura or energy then are we only seeing our interpretation? Or is it half their projection and half our interpretation. Or is it fully what they are presenting and no interpretation?

And you see its rather impossible to pin point whats what because there is no objective measurement scale.

Other than the view and frameworks we bring to the situation.

So what matters isn't the content of the aura itself. But rather what we use that information for.

So in that sense whether it is the belief in santa clause or say auras, both don't have to hold reality or truth. Because its what we do that is important.

Personally I find it unethical to snoop around people's auras. =]

Padmini42lobster
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

Auras aren't a Buddhist concept? Have you noticed the aura in any artistic renditions of the Buddha?

Go to your local New Age of spirituality bookstore, and take a look at the books on auras, for guidance in how to interpret colors.

The colors can change from one day to the next, or one hour to the next, depending on the person's mood, I've read. But some can be a reflection of a person's state of health and general mental state. It's a complex topic.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2014

Tantra deals with chakras/subtle organs and so forth. Probably auras too.

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Auras are (supposed to be) the energy body of a person. To me, we know energy can be seen in some circumstances so it's not out of the realm of possibility to see them.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

If I had experience of them, I'd tell you. However, I am completely lacking in knowledge? What is an aura btw.

Padmini42
  • Oh yes well I did notice that in the artwork, but auras aren't really directly mentioned in detail is what I meant. And I didn't want to rub anyone the wrong way by saying that it completely was a concept in Budhism P:

Well so far everyone has been pretty insightful and I am getting alot of the information I wanted.

@Dakini said:
    Auras aren't a Buddhist concept? Have you noticed the aura in any artistic renditions of the Buddha?

Go to your local New Age of spirituality bookstore, and take a look at the books on auras, for guidance in how to interpret colors.

The colors can change from one day to the next, or one hour to the next, depending on the person's mood, I've read. But some can be a reflection of a person's state of health and general mental state. It's a complex topic.

• Thanks, needed to hear read that to get back to grounding consciousness at its ground level, I've been trying to get out of this loop of breaking down all the different auras for sometime now and your comment was a helpful reminder of that.

Heh-heh and I don't snoop....at least not that often XD

@taiyaki said:
    You can never segregate the interpretation from the perception.

So for instance red may mean different things to the individual interpreting based on their view be it cultural or personality. It could also be different based on the system or spiritual path one is on. Not all spiritual paths have a perennial vision.

Just as a personal opinion of mine. Auras are just another way for people sense into energy. Some people feel energy. Some people hear it. Energy is subtle thoughts and attention movements.

On a gross level if you are angry you are fuming with warm, passionate energy. Or if we are tired we feel a lack of energy.

This energy when one learns to peel back the concepts and work directly with the non-conceptual aspects of our experience becomes more apparent. But its subtle thoughts. Almost like impressions or gestures of thoughts.

The problem with interpreting is simple from a dharma point of view. We have to ask ourselves. If we see an aura or energy then are we only seeing our interpretation? Or is it half their projection and half our interpretation. Or is it fully what they are presenting and no interpretation?

And you see its rather impossible to pin point whats what because there is no objective measurement scale.

Other than the view and frameworks we bring to the situation.

So what matters isn't the content of the aura itself. But rather what we use that information for.

So in that sense whether it is the belief in santa clause or say auras, both don't have to hold reality or truth. Because its what we do that is important.

Personally I find it unethical to snoop around people's auras. =]

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Jeffrey
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2014

That made my throat chakra pulse
    and petals of my crown relax

anataman
  • Auras are just another way for people sense into energy. Some people feel energy. Some people hear it. Energy is subtle thoughts and attention movements.

Exactly so. My experience resides in a place between feeling and sight. I can not say it is one or the other. The blessed have 'gold' auras, the pure 'white', the enlightened 'black' as examples. If perceptual abilities turn on, so be it. Nothing to see, move along . . .

• Mine is kinda dingy around my body but its white from my neck up P: