Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Book prices....

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

There's a book that I was looking to buy. After finding it online...it's a couple hundred dollars or more. Yikes!

Why? ..... It's the most expensive book I've ever seen! It's by a Nun who is also a Psychologist. I thought...well, maybe bec it's out of print...or she's raising money for a charity...but I can't find out on my own why it cost so much. Now, I'm just curious. What determines the price of a book? I know we have some writers here, so I thought I could find out. This is the book if any info can help .....

http://www.amazon.com/Patricia-M.-Berliner/e/B001JP3BN8/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

Thanks!

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

If it is used as a textbook, that will explain why it costs so much. Ever text book I used in college was $200 or more, some of them twice as much. But sometimes book prices get really, really inflated when something was minimally printed and is now out of print. I've seen 100 page booklets go for $175 (asking price) for that reason.

Vastmind
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I have done some basic research on this book, as anything so overpriced needs to be looked at; , even if it is worth the read, no one has ever properly reviewed it and if you try and download it, for free or pdf, it has loads of malware associated with it, and the download site asks for credit card details; a big No No No - perhaps 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance may be more appropriate'.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited March 2014

^^^ I totally agree. If a book costs $300 and somewhere else says it's free...well, yes, that sounds shady and suspect.

Are you suggesting that for a substitute?

This particular book I was looking into (OP) is about feminine and spiritual values.

I've been to Bike Week ... :rockon: .... hahaha

anataman
    edited March 2014

Oh I haven't laughed that much for over a month....

Laughter is supposed to decrease blood pressure and extend life.

Mettha ha ha ...

Vastmind

well, to be fair any expensive book that you are trying to download for free will likely have a lot of malware attached to it...because people with high end tastes are targeted in that way for scams.

On her blog, there is this note about the book:

• footnote on the price at Amazon: There is an error here. This wonderful and enlightening book does NOT cost over one hundred dollars!

So it seems the pricing on Amazon has been wrong for several years. The question is, why is the book so unavailable? Even the publisher information is not easily to find, which suggests it is a book that was independently published and very low in print. She is on Dr. Phil's advisory board though, lol, you could email him ;)

Vastmind
    edited March 2014

Love this ....
    Pema Chödrön ... :) ...

karasti

A little more research, the book was published by a small, scholarly publisher. I'm guessing it's just really that unavailable and out of print. She does have a linked in account with an option to send her a message, so you could ask about the book?

anataman
    edited March 2014

^^^ Thanks so much for all your digging! I appreciate the time and effort....and the info.

It was brought up in a woman's group I attend, so I'll ask the group about it next week. Thanks again!

No problem @vastmind, I'm a feminist btw. If women were in charge - I'd be so much happier!

Vastmind