Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The irony of 'common sense' - Why don't people generally think very much these days?

2»

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I do not dispute for one second that some technology has been invaluable to humanity; quite correctly, without it, the lives of some would be, at best of a poorer quality, and at worst - ended.
    So yes, of course I see and witness the incredible advantages such innovations have brought us.
    Absolutely certainly, without the technology available, my father might have died many years earlier....

But I was trying to communicate to @betaboy that we cannot look at it purely from an 'it's all good' angle. As you rightly say, it's a question of determining sensibly how to use it.

But as many of us will attest, sadly, too many of those people 'in control' fail to see the bigger picture, or the consequences to such sweeping decision...particularly those with a direct vested interest.
    And those interests either include cost-cutting measures, or money-making ventures.
    Many times, both.

karasti
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

When we are children any new technology is simply accepted as a part of the world.

When we are 20 new technologies are the greatest thing ever and will change the world.

When we are 40 new technologies are the work of the devil and are a sign of the impending doom of society.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

That's a bit extreme, but I take your point.... :D

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Yeah, its paraphrased from some writer talking about the way differing generations view technology. Its definitely meant as a joke that points to some truth.

(A lot of jokes do.....)

• betaboybetaboy Veteran
    edited April 2014

First, why is @federica using my account to post her views?

Second, most of the problems mentioned are problems related to the market mechanism rather than a problem of technology. In a system where one must sell one's labor power to survive, technology is seen as a threat. Luddites (and @federica) are an example. But that's the fault of the economic system. If the production process is based on fulfilling human needs and wants(and not on profit or extraction of labor power) , then technology is a blessing.

• jaynejayne Explorer

Technology is just technology. it is neither a 'blessing' or a 'threat' , it just is.
    Seems to be a lot of sweeping generalisations being made

Every single person on earth makes sweeping generalisations, all the time.

vinlyn
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I think it's pretty safe to assume that people speaking in that manner mean more so that how we use technology on an individual and societal basis can be considered a blessing or a curse. Obviously technology is neither one nor the other until we assign it as such. Is it just me or has there been a lot of nit picking on exact grammar and stuff lately? I have PMS so I might just be seeing something that doesn't exist, LOL. Must be the full moon.

The full moon may be closer to the truth than you think.

_/l\ _