Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Non-attachment and love and marriage

Buddhism talks about non-attachment to anything. When it comes to love, realistically, don't you have to be attached when you are in love with someone? I can see how people can be in love and non-attached to each other, but isn't that to some degree? You're still attached to the person you love right?

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Different attachment. The sort that causes us to want to feed children and make sure they stay alive, and work to maintain a loving relationship isn't the same as the clinging and grasping attachment that Buddhism is talking about letting go of. It means not expecting a particular outcome just because right now, things are a certain way. It means being open to change, and not resistant to it, because if marriage is anything, it's constant change.

Ideally, you work on your practice in a way that allows you to see people differently. Instead of seeing your spouse and your children as the ONLY people in the world you love that much, you use your strong feelings for them to build your love and compassion for everyone, attempting to get as close to feeling that strongly for everyone, not just your spouse/children/whatever.

I love my family. But they are not my world. My world is vast, and they are a wonderful part of it. But they aren't all of it. My happiness, my success as a person, my compassion and love are not dependent on them.

Jeffrey
  • msac123msac123 Explorer

@karasti said:
    Different attachment. The sort that causes us to want to feed children and make sure they stay alive, and work to maintain a loving relationship isn't the same as the clinging and grasping attachment that Buddhism is talking about letting go of. It means not expecting a particular outcome just because right now, things are a certain way. It means being open to change, and not resistant to it, because if marriage is anything, it's constant change.

Ideally, you work on your practice in a way that allows you to see people differently. Instead of seeing your spouse and your children as the ONLY people in the world you love that much, you use your strong feelings for them to build your love and compassion for everyone, attempting to get as close to feeling that strongly for everyone, not just your spouse/children/whatever.

I love my family. But they are not my world. My world is vast, and they are a wonderful part of it. But they aren't all of it. My happiness, my success as a person, my compassion and love are not dependent on them.

I see. That makes more sense. Thank you. :D

• It is a difference I have found in my romantic relationships as I age. I no longer feel pangs of suffering when I am apart from my significant other whereas earlier in my life it was all consuming. Now when I say 'I love you' I don't mean 'you are my whole world'..

And it's all relative. There is a spectrum.

• The Buddhist vision of love is a bit different than our romantic love.

It arises from a deep seeing of reality unmediated from concepts. So you see the other person free from any assumptions and expectations. And this offers you in a very vicersal sense to feel into what they are expressing to you. What you find if you have space is suffering and that breaks your heart. And from that depth of feeling suffering you are inspired with warmth to act.

That is the bodhisattvas tender heart.

But its not always suffering and compassionate response in that linear way. Sometimes its joy and kindness in the infinite variety of ways one can given the circumstance.

So its non attachment to the expectations and ideas we have about people and situations be it ourselves or others. This allowing and holding of a tender open heart not as an idea but as a direct meeting with life is the love buddhism offers.

Jeffreymsac123karasti
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2014

@msac123

Attachments are a function of our identity. Within a meditation practice, as we loosen our ties to our identity, attachments have less and less to attach to.

Love can also evolve to not be so much a reflection of our identity as a love of Buddha nature or the grace of whatever selflessness we can muster.

Finally, as the boundaries between self and other dissipate the selectiveness by which we used to love starts to become a more universal experience..

Citta
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited March 2014

@msac123 said:
    Buddhism talks about non-attachment to anything. When it comes to love, realistically, don't you have to be attached when you are in love with someone? ** I can see how people can be in love and non-attached to each other,** but isn't that to some degree? You're still attached to the person you love right?

Romantic love is pair bonding. That means there has to be an attachment.

The attachment is actually to the pleasurable feelings that arise with contact with the object of affection, not the object itself!
    "I love you because you make me feel good"
    That is why this love can do a 180 degree. as in "Hell hath no fury like ... scorned"

Love in the Buddhist(metta) context is somewhat different. It is similar to agape. This does not mean that love in a marriage cannot be metta.

Essentially metta is an altruistic attitude of love and friendliness as distinguished from mere amiability based on self-interest. Through metta one refuses to be offensive and renounces bitterness, resentment and animosity of every kind, developing instead a mind of friendliness, accommodativeness and benevolence which seeks the well-being and happiness of others. True metta is devoid of self-interest. It evokes within a warm-hearted feeling of fellowship, sympathy and love, which grows boundless with practice and overcomes all social, religious, racial, political and economic barriers. Metta is indeed a universal, unselfish and all-embracing love.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/buddharakkhita/wheel365.html

Agape has been expounded on by many Christian writers in a specifically Christian context. C. S. Lewis, in his book The Four Loves, used agape to describe what he believed was the highest level of love known to humanity – a selfless love, a love that was passionately committed to the well-being of the other.