Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

downside of vegetarianism

2»

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Just because you are concerned, doesn't mean you can convince everyone though. And for those who don't want to be convinced, trying to push such subjects just make them dig in their heels even more and they are more likely to go home and eat a pound of bacon just to spite you. It's fine to be concerned. It's fine to offer information. It's not fine (in my opinion) to consistently push the same information on the same group of people hoping some day they will agree with you.

vinlyn
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2014

@karasti said:
    Just because you are concerned, doesn't mean you can convince everyone though. And for those who don't want to be convinced, trying to push such subjects just make them dig in their heels even more and they are more likely to go home and eat a pound of bacon just to spite you. It's fine to be concerned. It's fine to offer information. It's not fine (in my opinion) to consistently push the same information on the same group of people hoping some day they will agree with you.

I wouldn't go quite that far @karasti half a pound of bacon would make the point perfectly well..with a couple of eggs..: )

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Ah, eggs and bacon.
    Big difference between the pig and the chicken.

The chicken contributes.
    The pig commits....

lobsterKundo
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@karasti said:
    Just because you are concerned, doesn't mean you can convince everyone though. And for those who don't want to be convinced, trying to push such subjects just make them dig in their heels even more and they are more likely to go home and eat a pound of bacon just to spite you. It's fine to be concerned. It's fine to offer information. It's not fine (in my opinion) to consistently push the same information on the same group of people.

True! But at the same time, when you post on the public internet, you really aren't just talking to the same small group of people every day, you're essentially talking to the whole world that has internet access. According to the "1% rule" of the internet, generally speaking, the people who actually participate in online communities are a mere 1% of the total people that read the content. The group appears small, but it's actually quite large, most of which is completely unknown to the active participants.

So generally speaking, when you post here, you are not just talking to federica and Citta, but also simultaneously talking to 98 other unknown people. That is the theory anyway. :)

• howhow Veteran Veteran

Righteous veggies verses defensive carnivores.
    No wonder the Buddha said to leave him out of it.

vinlynpoptartKundoInvincible_summer
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2014

@how said:
    Righteous veggies verses defensive carnivores.
    No wonder the Buddha said to leave him out of it.

There are a few predictable topics which always cause a raise in temperature when it comes to discussion. Every time.
    This is one of them.

Kundo
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

@seeker242 said:
    So generally speaking, when you post here, you are not just talking to federica and Citta, but also simultaneously talking to 98 other unknown people. That is the theory anyway. :)...

Reminds me of my first venture on a computer when I learned to program text to scroll up the screen, I think it was on a commodore 64:

hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world
    hello world

karasti
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I had a C64, loved that thing!
    but @seeker242 is it worth it to make the same arguments over and over in the hopes that maybe a rogue reader will see it, despite annoying the core group of users who always have to read the same arguments?
    It's no wonder there are people who brave the NB world and actually post and then disappear after a simple question turns into a bizarre Zen koan, or the same handful of users arguing the same points they just argued in another thread 1 week earlier.

• LiiLii Explorer

@Citta said:
    One thing is certain..The vast majority of those reading this will be dead in 75 years...and in a 100 years that is likely to 100% of those reading this.

Whatever they eat.

Life is too short to worry about what the other guy has for lunch .

However, nutrition does play an important part in the health of the body and has a great influence over the emotions. Parents have a responsibility to promote good eating habits for their children and it is our responsibility to do the same for ourselves. I agree we can't force people to take care of themselves.

• LiiLii Explorer

@seeker242 said:

We are the future generation and the future generation of that generation. Sooner or later we will face the state of our planet.

• CittaCitta Veteran

@Lii said:

Don't worry I eat a highly nutritious and healthy diet.

Look, interesting, as I said, but unless there's more vital stuff to add (in which case, re-opening is always considered) I think we're justa bout done here.

Thanks to all for your contributions.

including the chicken and the Pig.

anatamanKundo
This discussion has been closed.