Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Drone Victims Aim Back With A Humanizing Poster

Two weeks ago, artists gathered in a rural community of Pakistan's Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province to unveil a gigantic portrait of a local child whose parents and siblings were allegedly killed by missiles fired from a U.S. drone

It irritates me when innocent people are killed by drone sent by USA in the act of fighting terrorism. Those people have no involvement in this war and yet, they are the one that are killed. Imagine your family members being killed by drone strike. It must feel terrible for them. As the saying goes, 'You cannot fight fire with fire'. It will only make matter worse. I fear for the generation which will seek revenge (justly) for their murdered family members. It will only bought more killings and more suffering. This is the reason why there are more terrorist group after the war on terror. People who family member are killed will try to get revenge and goes to join terrorist group. That why USA Will never win the war on terror. Buddha once said, 'Hatred is indeed appeased by hatred in this world. It is appeased by non-hatred. This is an eternal law.''

Also, this shows the significant and power of image. Perhaps they could make an image of all the victims and show them to the world. It will have a powerful effect.

I would like to know about how you feel about this incident and your opinions of it.

Extra information
A Drone Warrior's Torment: Ex-Air Force Pilot Brandon Bryant on His Trauma From Remote Killing

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I think it's horrible on several levels. First, obviously, the killing of innocent people to accomplish getting a small number of "bad guys." Same with any war, far more innocent people die in our quest to get the bad guys.

Second, because it somehow makes war even worse for soldiers, too. The less personal war gets, the more it impacts the psychological health of soldiers and seems to make their reentry even harder. As our technology and psychological knowledge have increased our ability to help soldiers doesn't seem to have. Drone strikes are just another way to detach from the killing. There is a college not far from us that teaching drone piloting (a bachelors in aeronautics with specialty in unmanned aircraft operation) , and there are kids who are looking into it as a career choice without really knowing the implications. They believe it is better to kill from afar, to not have faces to go with who they just killed. Dangerous territory, even more so than previously (imo, anyhow). Some of them thin it fun to get to go to war and not have to see the damage. I don't understand why people think that would be a good career.

My teenager is going into hard science (of some sort, undecided exactly which) when he goes to college in 18 months. We've talked extensively about the importance of finding an avenue he can feel good about, a direction in helping people and humanity as a whole, not harming. We talked about how the inventor of the atomic bomb felt after seeing his invention used in Japan. It's just astonishing to me that parents would encourage their children to participate in careers intentionally designed to kill people. Somehow,I don't think most of them will be working in Amazon's drone delivery program.

yagr
  • ZeroZero Veteran

@dharma222 said:
    I would like to know about how you feel about this incident and your opinions of it.

As with all conflict; senseless.
    Spinning on a rock in the middle of nowhere kicking the shizer out of each other never made much sense to me.

federica
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Definitely, yes. When I was growing up, we hunted and fished for food. There were times my dad was laid off for months at a time from his job. I was thankful we had an ability to hunt and fish for our food, as I knew that many others did not have that ability and had to go without. But any time I shot a grouse or reeled in a fish and so on, it was with deep regret and many apologies to the animal for having to give it's life for us. As I grew up, I moved into a city where hunting and fishing just wasn't a thing. And then I moved back home, and my oldest son wanted to hunt. Since it always felt part of my tradition, I took him but I was relieved to realize that I don't have to do that at this point. That I don't have to watch life drain from an animal and be responsible for dismantling it's body. I was happy to find neither my son nor myself enjoyed it, and we stopped. But we still eat meat and that removal from the process is actually harder, and worse. There is little ability to experience that reverence for the life that died, to apologize, to be kind in seeing it off to it's next life, and so on. I find that very hard. So I find it difficult to understand why people specifically seek that out. I don't make excuses for our meat eating. Even though I am not experiencing killing the animal, I don't pretend I have no responsibility in it. Doing it this way isn't really the easy way out we think it is. It impacts our psychology and our nature more than we want to realize.

yagrKundo
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

(claps)

• yagryagr Veteran

@Jason said: ...and continue to make the same mistakes over and over again. And while mistakes in some shape or form will always be made...

I have been involved in a twelve step program for 8003 days (8000 was noteworthy for a math geek like me). In such a program it is customary to have a guide through the program called a sponsor. My first sponsor would often gently suggest that I try new approaches to life and I would, just as regularly, argue that such actions wouldn't work. She would end such discussions by telling me, "You have mastered your old mistakes; dare to risk making a new one." Many countries, as well as individuals, might do well to risk making new ones.

ZenshinKundo