Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What are we supposed to do until IT 'happens'

2»

Comments

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited April 2014

Don't think in terms of forever. Live it a moment at a time and see how it works. If Enlightenment sounds too pompous, why not settle down for peace of mind, acceptance of things as they come, instead?

• Live in the here and now, without looking to the past or future for your answers.
    Active meditation always calms down ones inner storms, while coping with the outer.

Just remember that you were never in control of the things that happen outside of yourself, I know it sounds bad reading it but this can be freeing to remember.
    Savor the days of sunshine and the days of clouds, you may wish it was raining on a hot summer day and you may with it was sunnier when the day was cloudy, wish all you want it will not change on your whim. On realizing this you can appreciate the now.

• @Padmini42 said:
    Live in the here and now, without looking to the past or future for your answers.
    Active meditation always calms down ones inner storms, while coping with the outer.

Just remember that you were never in control of the things that happen outside of yourself, I know it sounds bad reading it but this can be freeing to remember.
    Savor the days of sunshine and the days of clouds, you may wish it was raining on a hot summer day and you may with it was sunnier when the day was cloudy, wish all you want it will not change on your whim. On realizing this you can appreciate the now.

I actually like the message trying to be sent by a cloudy day. On a sunny day we 'look out' to find joy. But on a cloudy day you feel so trapped, so you are instead forced to 'look in' to find something.

Padmini42
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

@heyimacrab said:
    They say not to worry about Enlightenment because it will come when your time has come. This has made me feel like an outsider on this earth. I feel that I am only here to serve a sentence of perpetual humanity. I dont consider myself a very miserable person but I have recently been less desirreful and less attached. I dont really feel depressed or empty I just dont feel attatched because I have nothing to strive for, no purpose. Because I have read that you cannot step towards enlightenment and it just happens. So if its just supposed to happen, than what are we supposed to do until then? How does the world determine that you are ready?
    Or am I just looking at things the wrong way?

What are you supposed to do? Practice, practice, practice.

Today I decided to attend the Portland Friends of the Dhamma Friday night meditation group, which I haven't been to in what seems like forever. I think it was a good decision. My mind feels much lighter, and I realized that I've been slacking off too much on my practice as of late.

It's really helped me a lot over the years; but it takes so much effort to develop that it often gets dropped in order to put time and energy into other things, many of which aren't as skillful. Nevertheless, I always find myself coming back.

I don't know if I'll ever reach enlightenment; but I certainly like where the path has taken me thus far, and I have confidence that it's worth my continued effort.

JeffreyBuddhadragon
  • It's already happening. Just get out of the way!

banned_crabBuddhadragon
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Anataman's life:

If there is one thing I have learned and I can share it is simply this:
    I have always desired to be more than I am
    but I know I am nothing more than what is presented here...

Although I wish I could be better
    I remain what I am, with all that it regrets...

Although I want to change
    nothing seems to change for me

so what now?

Time to let things be...

Buddhadragon
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Woah.... :o down, much....?

• @anataman said:
    Anataman's life:

If there is one thing I have learned and I can share it is simply this:
    I have always desired to be more than I am
    but I know I am nothing more than what is presented here...

Although I wish I could be better
    I remain what I am, with all that it regrets...

Although I want to change
    nothing seems to change for me

so what now?

Time to let things be...

I wonder if the problem is that what the doctor orders is not something "more and better," but something "less and simpler."

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Hey, I've just realised - IT is HAPPENING. Don't want to miss it by wallowing in sad thoughts. What's the saying: smile and the world smiles with you, cry and... - damn it's just starting to rain again!

Mettha

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Sit with it. let it arise, observe it and let it go.

I can give you no idea, on public forum, the private hell my H and I are being put through right now. All I will say is that, being Mindful of the treachery of one's own emotions, 'Meeting with Triumph and Disaster and treating those Two Impostors just the same' - works.

anatamanlobster