Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thanksgiving holiday

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited November 2006 in General Banter
May I, from this side of the Atlantic, send good wishes to all those who will be celebrating the Thanksgiving holidays: the only time, according to some, when the US eats better than the French.

To any who find this a hard time, whether because of history or because they are alone, I send what love and support you can download from the universe.

It is one of the admirable aspects of the United States and Canada that they have even one day each year which is devoted to giving thanks.

Comments

• edited November 2006
    Thank you, Simon! We are leaving this afternoon to go spend the holiday with my family, 9 hours away. I have a new niece to meet (she was born 2 weeks ago) and that makes it my eighteenth niece/nephew! As you can imagine, we have a lot to be thankful for in my family. Lots of healthy, wonderful, beautiful children and so many other things.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2006
    I'm very thankful that we were able to wrestle this huge chuck of land away from it's indigenous people and subjugate them.

Actually, I hate that part.

But I do like the theme of "giving thanks".

Even though my post started off pretty crappy, I honestly wish everyone here - in fact, everyone everywhere (even a couple of people that I really can't stand) a very memorable, peaceful, compassionate and loving holiday season - even if this isn't a season or holiday you celebrate. May the day be filled with good feelings for all.

-bf
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2006
    It has been my practice, over the past few years, to commemorate the Lord's Supper on Thanksgiving Day. The Catholic patron saint of the USA is Mary, Mother of Jesus, Immaculately Conceived: the symbol of our own originally blessed state of innocence. She is very much in my mind during the celebration.
  • edited November 2006
    Simon,

Thank you. I shall have a wonderful holiday and especially because my two oldest children are here for the holiday as well! My youngest child, Jennifer, and I are so excited about seeing Jason and Stephanie for the holidays! WOOHOO! They are both grown and have their own lives so we don't get together as often as we would like. That's what really makes this Thanksgiving so special! May your holidays be wonderful as well! Take care!

Adiana:type: :usflag: :wavey: :smilec:
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited November 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    I'm very thankful that we were able to wrestle this huge chuck of land away from it's indigenous people and subjugate them.

Actually, I hate that part.

But I do like the theme of "giving thanks".

Even though my post started off pretty crappy, I honestly wish everyone here - in fact, everyone everywhere (even a couple of people that I really can't stand) a very memorable, peaceful, compassionate and loving holiday season - even if this isn't a season or holiday you celebrate. May the day be filled with good feelings for all.

-bf

where's my good wishes BF?-see i told you so! he doesn't like whiners from the southern hemisphere-
    You are hemispherist!:mean:
  • edited November 2006
    Happy Thanksgiving!

It won't be "Turkey Day" this year since we've all (except for my Dad) gone vegetarian, but I'm home from college for a bit!
  • Bunny_HereBunny_Here Explorer
    edited November 2006
    Hey Rambling,

http://www.ehow.com/how_8402_make-tofu-turkey.html

Care to try it?

:smilec:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2006
    Love, Good Life and Blessings to all my ATP friends!!:cheer: :woowoo:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Happy Thanksgiving from me, too, to all Americans. In Canada we celebrate Thanksgiving in October so we've already had our day but I like to spend both holidays thinking about gratitude. Gratitude has been a lifesaver for me, especially as an antidote to my petty anger and frustrations. All it takes is a moment to think about what I have in comparison to the majority of the world's population to snap me out of it and get me back on track, spoiled brat that I am. lol!
    edited November 2006
    ATP?

What does that mean?

Grumpy old man with good grammar needs assistance.

-bf
  • edited November 2006
    Thanks BF for asking that question. I was wondering myself what ATP means??

I hope everyone in the U.S. has a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving Holiday.

We are traveling 6 hours to spend Thanksgiving with my father, oldest son and to also celebrate my 1st and only grandchilds 1st Birthday.

HAPPY TURKEY DAY!!!

Deb
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2006
    Across The Pond.....

Over the Atlantic....

Far yonder.....

Over there....

Yeee-haw:grin: .....
  • edited November 2006
    Bunny_Here wrote:
    Hey Rambling,

http://www.ehow.com/how_8402_make-tofu-turkey.html

Care to try it?

:smilec:

I'm not very handy in the kitchen, but maybe I'll give it a shot -- thanks, Bunny!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2006
    Everyone,

I hope that each and every one of you has a Happy Thanksgiving, and for those of you that are unable to share today with family, friends, or loved ones, just know that we are with you in spirit. In addition, speaking of spirit, in the spirit of this time of season — that is widely known for its holiday feasts — I thought that I would share with you this sutta (AN 5.37) about the shared benefits of giving the gift of food:
    "In giving a meal, the donor gives five things to the recipient. Which five? He/she gives life, beauty, happiness, strength, & quick-wittedness. Having given life, he/she has a share in long life, either human or divine. Having given beauty, he/she has a share in beauty, either human or divine. Having given happiness, he/she has a share in happiness, either human or divine. Having given strength, he/she has a share in strength, either human or divine. Having given quick-wittedness, he/she has a share in quick-wittedness, either human or divine. In giving a meal, the donor gives these five things to the recipient."

The prudent person giving life, strength,
    beauty, quick-wittedness —
    the wise person, a giver of happiness —
    attains happiness himself.
    Having given life, strength, beauty,
    happiness, & quick-wittedness,
    he has long life & status
    wherever he arises.

Sincerely,

Jason
  • edited November 2006
    Our Thanksgiving was wonderful, and my family eats way too much food! Just wanted to share a picture of the newest addition to my very large family. This is my newest niece, Annalyse. She is as sweet as she looks! Kind of makes me want to have another baby!
    edited November 2006
    What a cutey.

Very artsy foto too!

Dang kid has more hair than I do.

-bf
  • edited November 2006
    My husband took the pictures of her. He's getting really good with his new camera. Here's one from my mom's backyard up in Wisconsin:
    bird.jpg 244.1K