Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Noble Eightfold Path versus 6 Paramitas

Where does the Noble Eightfold Path fit into the Six Paramitas?

Or, is it that the Six Paramitas fits into the Bible Eightfold Path?

It seems a bit chicken and egg to me so your help will be much appreciated.

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

This will vary a bit depending on the tradition you practice. If you have chosen a path, it would be most helpful to know which it is :) We cover everything under the Buddhist sun around here.

I am a Tibetan practitioner with a Vajrayana teacher (though I am mostly working within the Mahayana teachings right now) and in our learnings, the N8FP isn't brought up a lot. Well, honestly, it's not brought up ever, lol. It's not that it isn't important, but more so because it is already contained in the teachings we are learning in the Mahayana and Vajrayana. So, we work more on the Paramitas but within them you find the N8FP, if that makes any sense.

Cittaanataman
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Yorkshireman said:
    Where does the Noble Eightfold Path fit into the Six Paramitas?

Or, is it that the Six Paramitas fits into the Bible Eightfold Path?

It seems a bit chicken and egg to me so your help will be much appreciated.

If you speak of 'six paramitas' you are probably referring to a Mahayana practice.

Theravada instructs that there are 10.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Yes, it is a bit like a chicken and egg thing. But instead of trying to pidgeonhole the concepts neatly under the labels, try to see how both the Six Paramitas and the Noble Eightfold Path could be put to better use in your life. Don't try to take them in with your intellect, rather use the learning to enrich your everyday practice and the way you interact in the world. If you apply the template of both the Six Paramitas and the N8P to commonplace situations that you face everyday, all concepts intermingle and help enrich the experience. They are concepts meant to live by, and it is within the framework of your reality that you'll better understand how they work. In any given situation every second of your life you will see them all at work at the same time in how you choose to react to them.

In her explanation of the Four Noble Truths, Tamara Engel says about the Third Noble Truth:
    "What we have available to us is the present moment. There are two aspects of experience in the present moment:
    1. What is happening -things just as they are
    2. How we relate to what is happening
    We can change how we relate to the present moment."

How you will be able to relate to that present moment depends on how well you juggle the teachings of the Six Paramitas and the N8P.

federicaYorkshireman
  • CittaCitta Veteran

@karasti said:
    This will vary a bit depending on the tradition you practice. If you have chosen a path, it would be most helpful to know which it is :) We cover everything under the Buddhist sun around here.

I am a Tibetan practitioner with a Vajrayana teacher (though I am mostly working within the Mahayana teachings right now) and in our learnings, the N8FP isn't brought up a lot. Well, honestly, it's not brought up ever, lol. It's not that it isn't important, but more so because it is already contained in the teachings we are learning in the Mahayana and Vajrayana. So, we work more on the Paramitas but within them you find the N8FP, if that makes any sense.

Elegantly put @karasti.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

I think of it like this. The 6 Paramitas of Mahayana is the 8 Fold Path for a Bodhisattva. All of the 8FP can be found within the 6 paramitas. All perhaps except for "right intention". One could argue that is not specifically mentioned. But it does not need to be since the Bodhisattva vow, to get enlightenment and save all beings, and the cultivation of Bodhicitta thoroughly covers the intention part.

:)

personkarastiYorkshireman
  • Wow! I wasn't expecting such excellent and insightful advice so quick.

Between you you've definitely answered my question. In some ways you've confirmed what I thought, but you've also given me some excellent points to consider.

Thanks to you all!

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

We're brilliant like that, here, you know..... :D
    :p

personHamsakakarasti
  • I've been considering the excellent points raised. After some reflection I feel that I need to use the 6 Paramitas as my core framework - at this point in time - and seek to incorporate the various other teachings (4NT and N8FP) into this framework.

Maybe as my studies progress this will change, but at this moment I need something concrete to focus my efforts on and the 6 Paramitas seem to be broad and flexible enough to be able to help give me the direction I need.

Thanks again for the insights shared.

Do what works for you, but try to keep to the path; wandering off like that.... really, at least take a packed lunch!

be well, and enjoy.
    it's not a trial set in stone, exactly....