Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Visiting home shrine or public temple . . .

Went to my local orthodox Christian Church (Easter Sunday, thought they might have stayed open all night) 6 AM and shut. Ah well . . . short walk to a local Vietnamese Amitabha temple, not been to before but seen the Buddha in the front . . .

Lights on, can see three people meditating in the front room. Don't like to disturb them. Side door shut. Ah ha, garden basement open and I am in . . .

So joined them, eventually everyone left me to the empty shrine room to meditate in . . .

Not visited the temple before, when I looked it up, it is classed as a private residence . . .

Wait - did I just gate crash someone's home shrine . . .

:eek2:

They did not seem perturbed and I left as quietly as I arrived.

wangchuey

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I trust you did not touch the family silver....

lobster
  • There was 'gold' all around. Done more research, it is an 'unofficial' temple. They are looking for a permanent residence as a place of worship. Will visit again and maybe chat to some of the residents, certainly got an impressive number of statues, here is a couple of Kwan Yin in the garden . . . which had plenty of side shrines like the Amitaba one in the second pic . . .

BunkswangchueyanatamanKundo
  • Wow...beautiful.

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@lobster said:
    There was 'gold' all around. Done more research, it is an 'unofficial' temple. They are looking for a permanent residence as a place of worship. Will visit again and maybe chat to some of the residents, certainly got an impressive number of statues, here is a couple of Kwan Yin in the garden . . . which had plenty of side shrines like the Amitaba one in the second pic . . .

That's very similar to a Vietnamese sangha meeting near my house. They took over a home with a large yard and have been steadily landscaping to a state similar to your pix.

I stopped by on a sunday afternoon and asked if it would be ok to wander around their gardens for a bit, which they gladly allowed. I was introduced to the resident monastic who invited me to have lunch with the sangha. I had to decline.

They seemed like nice folks.

There are a number of Vietnamese sangha in my part of denver. 5 centers in a circle five miles from my house. There happens to be a concentration of Vietnamese immigrant families around here. Best Pho joints in town!

anataman