Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Growing closer to God

2»

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2014

Buddha said in the diamond sutra that the virtue of donating many solar systems worth of offerings was less than that gained by genuinely teaching only one line of the diamond sutra. That's in need of interpretation and 'solar systems' can be huge or tiny.

My intuition, imacrab, tells me to recommend the diamond sutra. It's name is 'the diamond that cuts through delusion'.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Jeffrey said:
    I agree with you fed with the exception that I don't believe you or anyone on here can give a diagnosis. Even a professional therapist would need to interview imacrab in person to determine if he/she is mentally ill rather than simply read posts on here.

>

That's my point.
    I am not suggesting anyone here can, should or could do that.
    Neither do we encourage, endorse or recommend such action.
    As stated, this is a Buddhist forum, first and foremost. But given that some members are by their own admission, in receipt of prescribed medication and/or in therapy, to be so dismissive (even under the guise of supposed humour) is both tactless and insulting.

'Nuff said.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I didn't understand. Is imacrab under therapy/meds? Are you saying he is dismissive or are others dismissive to him/her? I do find that the whole topic "growing closer to God" is an odd topic on a Buddhist forum.

• SilouanSilouan Veteran

Actually, @heyimacrab the term used in Orthodox Christianity is Theosis and not Apotheois: orthodoxwiki.org/Theosis

Also, Orthodox Christian monk Archimandrite Zacharias discusses love, the mind, and the heart in this short video. youtube.com/watch?v=cdIMeDE9viM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Nirvana
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Thanks, Silouan! I can never remember the exact name of this theological belief. I appreciate your setting things straight, again!

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@Jeffrey, it was asked of crab if he might consider therapy and he said something to the effect of "Anyone who sees a psychologist needs their head examined." Fed. (appropriately, I think) told him what he said wasn't funny, and it was dismissive of people who do seek (and need) that kind of help.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I thought that was a joke. Like a Rodney Dangerfield or Yogi Berra saying.

Nirvana
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

@Jeffrey said:

Well, Jeffrey, that's simply because you are just nice. If only a quarter of the people in the world were half as nice as you, no one would need pills for psychiatric issues.

lobsterZenshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@karasti said:
    Jeffrey, it was asked of crab if he might consider therapy and he said something to the effect of "Anyone who sees a psychologist needs their head examined." Fed. (appropriately, I think) told him what he said wasn't funny, and it was dismissive of people who do seek (and need) that kind of help.

>
    >

I merely asked him whether he WAS on medication or under a therapist. There was no suggestion or advice on my part as to whether he should or should not be.

@Jeffrey said:

>
    >

Then take it to the joke thread.
    It was humour but badly misplaced.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

hey @heyimacrab, I am not sure you have a mental illness, I can see there is something that is causing you a real problem though, and I think you may be mentally bashing yourself unnecessarily. There is no need to worry about becoming closer to god, or becoming god - it will get you nowhere, but perhaps you need to find that for yourself; more importantly you need to understand yourself a bit better and why you are asking these questions...

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

sorry @federica, didn't mean to misquote you, I should have looked it up!

Not a problem at all. Just clarified.
    :0)