Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Anyone know the difference in Fiber supplements?

I have some Benefiber from my grandma who passed. But my doctor said Metamucil. Is one better than the other?

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

It's best just to eat natural foods so you get the other benefits those foods offer. But sometimes, supplements are necessary of course. Artichokes, berries and legumes are great sources, and so are chia seeds. Add em to yogurt or smoothies or salads, you get 6 grams per tablespoon (compared to 6 grams for a whole cup of raspberries). Legumes have the most, by far, with about 16g per cup. The average man under 50 needs about 38 grams.

I could be wrong, but I thought that metamucil was cautioned against, somewhat, for people who take meds (if it matters what kind meds, i don't know) because the thicker consistency of the metamucil can absorb some of the meds making them less effective.

But I think which is ideal for you kind of depends what you take it for. One works better for constipation than another (I believe) but the other type works better for cholesterol and glucose lowering. It might be worth asking your doctor why he specifically recommended metamucil? Or perhaps it was more of a general "take a fiber supplement, like metamucil" comment.

Jeffrey
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I agree with @karasti re the natural fibres, however, if you are taking certain constipating medications, a laxative might be of benefit, but your physician should have gone over this when prescribing them. Now depending on the prescription medication that would dictate your choice of laxative. PM me for specific advice.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    edited May 2014

I don't think they are different. Miralax is polyethylene glycol a huge sugar molecule you can't digest (thus it just absorbs tons of water and moves through quickly), but Metamucil and Benefiber are made from the same thing, psyillium husks. They absorb a ton of water and stimulate the bowel too, but for different reasons. I doubt one is better than the other, but I'm sure people have their favorites.

Benefiber is made from wheat and is water soluble. Metamucil is made from psyllium fiber and is not water soluble. Benefiber is more used as a nutrition supplement to get the right amount of fiber, and for those taking meds who might run into issues with the metamucil. Metamucil is used more for treatment of constipation and lowering cholesterol, and glucose (I was incorrect before, I thought the benefits were split between the 2 but they are not) because of the more bulky paste as it moves through your system.

Jeffrey
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

@karasti said:
    It's best just to eat natural foods so you get the other benefits those foods offer. But sometimes, supplements are necessary of course. Artichokes, berries and legumes are great sources, and so are chia seeds. Add em to yogurt or smoothies or salads, you get 6 grams per tablespoon (compared to 6 grams for a whole cup of raspberries). Legumes have the most, by far, with about 16g per cup. The average man under 50 needs about 38 grams.

I could be wrong, but I thought that metamucil was cautioned against, somewhat, for people who take meds (if it matters what kind meds, i don't know) because the thicker consistency of the metamucil can absorb some of the meds making them less effective.

But I think which is ideal for you kind of depends what you take it for. One works better for constipation than another (I believe) but the other type works better for cholesterol and glucose lowering. It might be worth asking your doctor why he specifically recommended metamucil? Or perhaps it was more of a general "take a fiber supplement, like metamucil" comment.

My internist said metamucil, but I haven't asked my psychiatrist about meds and metamucil. I am taking benefiber because we have that left over from my grandma. I get so many problems because of my meds and they increase constipation. That is for anti-psychotic medicines. I notice I don't have problems if I eat a lot of grape tomatoes. But the problem is when they run out. I will probably switch to metamucil if my psychiatrist says it's ok because I am gluten free and don't want wheat fiber.

The metamucil acts a little more like veggie/fruit roughage, in that it softens stool and helps grab "debris" in your intestines and move it along better. It seems to be the best option for constipation but yeah I'd definitely ask your psychiatrist first. There are also gentle laxatives, but for long term use, they are generally not recommended because they can cause a lot of problems after a time.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Beetroot is a very good source of fibre, and has other amazing health benefits too.
    Jacket potatoes as long as you eat that yummy crispy skin, of course!
    Butternut squash, if deseeded, can be roasted and eaten with the skin on....;

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

@Jeffrey‌ are you taking clozaril? It gave me terrible constipation when I was prescribed it.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Not sure of the medical question but a friend of mines Italian grandma, recommended an orange peeled and eaten every evening (that way you got loads of pith/roughage). Porridge with banana and raisins works too or muesli. Most constipation is caused by not drinking enough fluids. Good luck with the medicines. :)

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Yes, @Lonely_Traveller, I am on clozaril. The ladies at the blood test all know me because I get a blood test every month. For the first 6 months on it I had to get a blood test every week!

@Jeffrey - Its a very effective drug but didn't work on my positive symptoms, about a year ago I was prescribed flupenthixol and sertaline and the combination was very effective. I know what you mean about the blood tests - I had every side effect there was except for my white cell count.

• CittaCitta Veteran

Clozaril is very effective when it is effective..have you found a lessening of frequency or intensity of hallucinatory events @Jeffrey.?.if so then it is worth the odd bout of constipation I would think.

A reasonable increase in liquid intake..an extra pint or so a day of water, may help.

If milk does not make you mucusy ( it does me )..then a couple of glasses of milk a day acts as a mild laxative for some people...its the lactose.

Zenshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

A dried prune wrapped round an almond also
    Works wonders. 3 of them, 3 times a day is very regulating not to mention extremely healthy.
    Soak the almonds in cold water for 24 hours prior to eating. It makes them easily digestible and releases the nutrients more effectively.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

@Citta said:
    Clozaril is very effective when it is effective..have you found a lessening of frequency or intensity of hallucinatory events Jeffrey.?.if so then it is worth the odd bout of constipation I would think.

A reasonable increase in liquid intake..an extra pint or so a day of water, may help.

If milk does not make you mucusy ( it does me )..then a couple of glasses of milk a day acts as a mild laxative for some people...its the lactose.

Yeah we have tried so many things to combat my auditory hallucinations. They are still there but only when I think "oh i wonder where the voices are?" But my life is taken up by girlfriend, chores, NB (and other forums), hobbies etc. So I don't have any time for voices. I just say to them "wrong mandala" meaning that they have nothing to do with my life. I've had them for over 2 years now but I think both medicines and cognitively letting go of them as garbage (empty) voices has helped.

I am on a cocktail and we are tweaking it to get the balance between symptoms and side effects that will allow me to live and enjoy.

I drink a lot of liquids but some, like coffee and tea, that dehydrate.

@federica, I love prune juice but don't like the texture of actual prunes. I do eat raisins and, like I said, prune juice. I drink milk before bed to sleep.

The largest success is in my mood component. I don't get too high or low anymore. Just not the same zest for life as with mania. It isn't depression because I am even tempered and a positive thinker I just remember my body feeling so good during mania. The colors are brighter and music is more pleasing. But I am not intoxicated anymore with mania and am more competent. I read that it is easier for a schizophrenic to hold a job than a relationship. For me I have a relationship and I am looking for the right job.

anataman

@Jeffrey, don't bet on that Jeff, I've had the same girlfriend for the last nine years, mind you she is bi-polar so there is some common understanding. Anyway I just wanted to say good luck with the job thing.

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran

Jeff I would go with Benefiber, very easy on your gut, is tasteless and works quite well. Also water, fiber-fruits veges oatmeal and exercise will go a long way.

Jeffrey
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

yeah my doctor said exercise was very important. I eat a lot of grape tomatoes. Usually I have problems when those are out.

Are you a health care worker, Theswingisyellow?

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran

I am a registered nurse.

• CittaCitta Veteran

Rootin' for you @Jeffrey and @Lonely_Traveller

Zenshin

@Citta, thank you - do you work in the field of psychiatry? you seem very knowledgeable.

Personally I'm very lucky I respond very well to medication since I've been on flupenthixol I've only suffered one bout of paranoia that I couldn't deal with I went home took some left over olanzapine and knocked myself out and was fine the next morning, I'm written up for a low dose prn now. Practice helps - when I feel my mind spinning out to tell a paranoid tale I just let go and bring my attention back to the present.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited May 2014

@Citta's here largely for my benefit.... :-D

Zenshin

@Theswingisyellow‌ Jeffery had said he is on a gluten free diet, and benefiber is made (in the US) with wheat.

• CittaCitta Veteran

@federica said:
    Citta's here largely for my benefit.... :-D

btw did you get this months bill ?

Yeah. Could we discuss instalments? I might have to pay you one lettuce leaf at a time rather than the whole salad....

• CittaCitta Veteran

OK. I will tell Big Louie my debt collector to stand down..

Thanx, you're a real lady.

• CittaCitta Veteran

And you are a gent.

One does one's best....

edited May 2014

@karasti said:
    Theswingisyellow‌ Jeffery had said he is on a gluten free diet, and benefiber is made (in the US) with wheat.

I was not aware.