Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

FPMT Online Courses

ZenshinZenshin VeteranEast Midlands UK Veteran

So I stumped the twelve or so pounds for the Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition meditation 101 course. I found the Tibetan meditations rather interesting and less "dry" than Theravada. It came with a load of guided audio meditations a 60 page pdf book plus a reading list. There is also a discussion forum for students and teachers.

I'm thinking of stumping up for the Discovering Buddhism course when I've worked my way through the first course as its modular and can be bought in easy to swallow sections.

Has anyone here at NB done any of these courses and if so what did you think?

BunksBuddhadragon

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I know what you mean about Theravada being "dry"... The instructions are valid, but quite rigid and solemn: Mahayana does seem to approach things in a lighter way..
    I have no experience with what you have put forward, but if you like the approach, it would seem like a good idea...

• Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran

@Lonely_Traveller said:
    So I stumped the twelve or so pounds for the Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition meditation 101 course. I found the Tibetan meditations rather interesting and less "dry" than Theravada. It came with a load of guided audio meditations a 60 page pdf book plus a reading list. There is also a discussion forum for students and teachers.

I'm thinking of stumping up for the Discovering Buddhism course when I've worked my way through the first course as its modular and can be bought in easy to swallow sections.

I haven't started the "Discovering Buddhism" courses yet, but I am almost finished with "Buddhism in a Nutshell" and "Meditation 101" through FPMT and found them to be very useful and well done. If "Discovering Buddhism" is anything like those two, I would say it's worth the investment.

• ToshTosh Veteran

I can vouch for this one:

http://www.fbtstudycentre.jamyang.co.uk/

It's a two year course; it cost me £30 a month, but there's concessionary payments too. Some of it was quite heavy going and I wasn't a great student either.

BuddhadragonRowan1980
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Fortunately I can attend Jamyang as it is quite near. Next time I will probably just hang out in the cafe with a yogi tea and carrot cake. Might be able to learn something . . .

Good luck with your course

• CittaCitta Veteran

@Lonely_Traveller said:

I haven't, but the FPMT has a longstanding and well regarded pedigree.

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

Thanks for all the input folks but I've gone back to Theravada sitting as I think it suits my nature better. Just read Larry Rosenberg's Breath by Breath which has been a help in my practice of Samatha.