Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Non dual

EarthninjaEarthninja WandererWest Australia Veteran

Hi guys!

I'm really new to Buddhism so I would love to hear about your opinions/experiences!

Today while meditating I was listening to the birds chirping. I then let go of the idea of birds and suddenly all I could hear was chirping sounds neither outside or inside me. Just chirping in "space" no distance no birds. Weird experience.

I then walked outside and looked around my back yard and felt as if I was in a dream - by dream I mean everything I could see and hear was on this same space. Like I was a movie?? I tried feeling the same way but the ground tends to feel separate from me.

Then I went to work and experience over. I feel that when I meditate again this experience will arise again. Particularly with sounds and sights.

Is this what they mean by non duality? It's not a waking reality for me yet. Or is this a mental formation?

That's so much guys

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran

Well I don't know you...

It might be a non dual state.

If so it is not it that arises.

It is always already the case...

It is you that arises..

Earthninjaanatamanpommesetoranges
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Don't expect any repetition in experiences. They will never be the same, even if similar.... Meditation isn't about having specific experiences. It's about seeing them, and letting them go...

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

@Citta said:
    Well I don't know you...

It might be a non dual state.

If so it is not it that arises.

It is always already the case...

It is you that arises..

I guess it's different for everybody, I do understand intellectually. I find it very hard to put into words.

@federica‌ although I'm wondering if it's me seeing a part of reality for what it is? In which case I probably should let go regardless! Thanks, I'll try not expect anything.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Earthninja said: although I'm wondering if it's me seeing a part of reality for what it is?

Could you define 'a part of reality' for me?

@seeker242‌

Thank you for writing all that, helps greatly.
    The hardest thing for me is understand to not try do anything, to just be. If you try attain enlightenment your trying. To try not attain enlightenment your still trying to do something!

Haha I do like Zen, thanks again guys! This community is great :)

seeker242
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Chirp! :)

sova

@federica said:
    Could you define 'a part of reality' for me?

Hmm I see what I did there, part meaning through one of the sense organs(brain/ears) but not the others if that makes sense? Feeling/experiencing sounds with no labels but not feeling physically the ground or taste with no labels.

The ground felt separate from "me" the sound just was sound

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited May 2014

"Achieving clear mind is easy. Keeping clear mind in every situation is very difficult." Master Seung Sahn

Yes, in meditation you will begin to glimpse clear mind. But then our monkey minds tell us "Wow! That's great. What does that mean?" and the moment is gone. Don't sweat it. Like our thoughts, let clear mind come and go without comment. When looking at the sky, only clouds. When looking at the forest, only trees.

The world is just like this.

Hope this helps.

EarthninjaJeffrey
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I often use the cheep cheep cheep of birds to help me meditate, particularly when walking in the park. That little cheep cheep cheep is code for 'your alive' 'you're alive again' 'you're still alive'.

Cheep Cheep Cheep is just a way of getting it across without using words with meanings that will distract me.

I like the dreamy state - I look at mums pushing buggies and talking baby babble and feeding ducks and generally living there lives, with no concerns other than giving their babes attention and the ducks food.

Cheep Cheep Cheep

EarthninjaCinorjerBuddhadragon
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

You have perceived the interconnection of all beings.
    When I meditate, I feel that my breathing, the distant roar of passing cars, the chirp of the birds make one big conumdrum. I don't question it, I don't ponder over it, I don't attach to the experience. It's back to breathing in, breathing out every time.
    I acknowledge it and let it go. It's pure bliss.
    All the Buddhist theory adds up in that meditation session. Whatever you may read, it does not gain in perspective until you sit down mindfully on your cushion and see.
    Even better if you can extend that mindfulness into your everyday life: being able to perceive that same interconnection when your colleague at work backbites, when your child pulls you a tantrum, when the car acts up...
    That's why it is so important to practice Buddhism, not just absorb the theory intellectually.
    And though, like @federica said, don't expect any repetition in the experience, your perception will definitely open up with the consistence in your practice.

JeffreyEarthninjasova
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I think you need a teacher to help understand what is happening. Hopefully an accomplished meditation teacher.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

You could get caught up in the fascination of regarding all dharmas as dreams and perpetuate unnecessary visions and fantasies of all kinds. Therefore it is very important to get to this next slogan, "Examine the nature of unborn awareness". When you look beyond the perceptional level alone, when you look at your own mind (which you cannot actually do, but you pretend to do), you find that there is nothing there. You begin to realize that there is nothing to hold on to. Mind is unborn. But at the same time, it is awareness, because you still perceive things. There is awareness and clarity. Therefore; you should contemplate that by seeing who is actually perceiving dharmas as dreams.

Trungpa Rinpoche in Training the MInd (page 18).

Buddhadragonanatamansovapegembara

Where I live there is no sangha that I am aware of, I am attending a Vipassana retreat in July. Hopefully I can meet a teacher there.

Thanks again guys, all your replies have answered a lot.

Bunkssovalobster
  • "Herein, Bahiya, you should train yourself thus: 'In the seen will be merely what is seen; in the heard will be merely what is heard; in the sensed will be merely what is sensed; in the cognized will be merely what is cognized.' In this way you should train yourself, Bahiya.

"When, Bahiya, for you in the seen is merely what is seen... in the cognized is merely what is cognized, then, Bahiya, you will not be 'with that.' When, Bahiya, you are not 'with that,' then, Bahiya, you will not be 'in that.' When, Bahiya, you are not 'in that,' then, Bahiya, you will be neither here nor beyond nor in between the two. Just this is the end of suffering."

Bahiya Sutta

When your eyes see a form, just see.
    When your ears hear a sound, just hear.
    When your nose smells a smell, just smell.
    When your tongue tastes a taste, just taste.
    When your body feels a touch, just feel.
    When your mind knows a thought, just know.

Just forms, sounds, smells, tastes, touch and thoughts appearing from nowhere and disappearing to nowhere.

Earthninja
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Kia Ora,

Everything is Buddha Nature....nothing special

Metta Shoshin :)

Jeffreyanataman
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited May 2014

"I then let go of the idea of birds and suddenly all I could hear was chirping sounds neither outside or inside me."

This is good, but it is more important to realize that there never was a hearer behind sound, hearing is always only just sound.

When a Zen master got enlightened by the sound of a bell being struck, he remarked, there is no hearer nor the bell being sounded, only the ringing.

After this realization, this direct gapless mode of perception becomes natural and effortless.

yes, ok... little steps, one at a time....

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@Earthninja said:
    Where I live there is no sangha that I am aware of, I am attending a Vipassana retreat in July. Hopefully I can meet a teacher there.

How exciting.

:clap: . . .

A good way to prepare is by watching youtube advice. Talking to cushions . . . eh scratch that . . . stick to listening to the little birdees . . .online courses http://www.vipassana.co.uk/course/
    reading and even asking the advice of your fellow cushion squashers . . .

Nothing is the same as real contact. Bravo. Every success. :clap: . . .

Earthninja
  • CittaCitta Veteran

@Earthninja said:

Thanks again guys, all your replies have answered a lot.

Where do you live @Earthninja ?

I live in a small town south of Perth in Western Australia. There are a lot of Sanghas in Perth however I am 4 hours away. We have a yoga studio and a meditation centre but not buddhist. I might start a group!

• CittaCitta Veteran

Good idea. Many teachers are happy to visit groups if you put money towards the petrol.

Earthninja