Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

World Cup 2014

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@how said:
    Bunks
    Do you ever examine or question the worth of having a sense of belonging?

Yes. It is something that has arisen from time to time in my practice @how.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

US scored at the jump....and we (GHana) keep missing the net! .... IN! IN!
    1,0 right now....

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Kia Ora,

Umm soccer mums .....

Metta Shoshin :)

Vastmind
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Yay!!!!

2,1 US...... Good for them....especially after the last 2 times we got 'em out.

My son said " If they didn't have a goalie we still couldn't have scored", haha

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

That back kick pass was pretty awesome for the ghana player.

Vastmind

I couldn't watch....After the first goal was so quick...I went outside to mow the front lawn. My son was running out bringing me ice water and giving me the score. :) ...

I'll probably sit and watch the plays tonight....

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I was at a sports bar and didn't even know when they were playing. I saw the first goal and then when I came home I saw the other two.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2014

@Vastmind the middle goal is ghana's goal in case you don't get to see it. It shows the second goal. Ghana was truly pressing USA in most of the game as USA was just playing 8 back and not possessing the ball. I knew Ghana would likely score. USA was truly fortunate in getting the go ahead goal on a corner kick. It was a sweet header though haha. Good luck beating the others in the group.

SPOILER ALERT IF YOU WANT TO WATCH THE GAME (below video)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

As an aside, I find it pretty rich that Gary Barlow's football anthem has been dropped on account of his alleged tax-evasion.

First of all, those accusations are unfounded. He is a wealthy young man, and has employed accountants to manage his finances, who legitimately invested his money in off-shore tax-free accounts. Something which is neither illegal nor unusual.

Secondly, it's a damned cheek that he was criticised and condemned in Parliament.... hang on... weren't MPs involved in a multitude of outrageous scandals concerning fiddled expenses and unnecessary and unlawful use of allocated funds for their own personal use...? Ahem!!

Thirdly, when you consider how many of these football players are being paid obscene and unimaginable amounts of money, one has to ask whether any of them are channeling their funds in a similar manner....? I bet they are....!

• CittaCitta Veteran

Can't see Brazil beating Germany or the Netherlands based on last night's performance against Mexico.

It may be the weight of expectation of course, they might improve.

• zenffzenff Veteran

That was a difficult game for the Netherlands against Australia!

Also I don’t think it was a high quality game of football, but it was full of passion and for the impartial spectator it was probably entertaining.

I watched the game with clenched buttocks though.

• CittaCitta Veteran

Australia were excellent I thought. It really promises well for their next World Cup.

The Socceroos are growing in skill, and most importantly , confidence.

Kundo
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited June 2014

yes, absolutely. Their first goal was a beauty.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I think the awarded penalty to Australia, for a 'hand-ball' was a poor judgement. As my H explained, "it doesn't even have to be deliberate" but in such cases the Referee is permitted to make a judgement call. I think it was poor show, particularly as he was trying to tuck his arm away and avoid contact.
    So when Van Persie shot in the next one for the NL, I thought that justice had been served! Good for them, well played!

Not that I watched it, or anything..... :D .

• CittaCitta Veteran

What is going on with Spain ????

Hai tink dei losin'....

• CittaCitta Veteran

Yes, I meant their catastrophic loss of form ..as a team.

Any individual player can have a dip in form..but these are the World Champions having a collective melt-down...

well, As I've said before, you're only ever as good as your last game; Italy went out 4 years ago, and it's not unusual for a team's form to change in the toss of a coin.

So, it is what it is....

• zenffzenff Veteran
    edited June 2014

@Citta said:
    What is going on with Spain ????

My guess is they didn’t stop being good football players; they are simply tired. Maybe mentally tired, maybe physically tired, maybe both.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

@federica, it's just a game!

Tomorrow it gets really serious though, like it did with Spain tonight - Whoa! the depression really hit there.

Just imagine if we lose - the economy will take a nose-dive, champagne sales in the City will reach record lows, Accident & Emergency admissions for drunk and disorderly behaviour will rise, GPs will see more people for depression in the ensuing weeks, Manufacturing output will plummet, the prime minister might have to resign. I might have a sense of humour failure.

Those boys deserve every million they earn if they win; 'pressure what pressure' - if they don't win, a witch hunt, oops I meant enquiry, should take place!

Jeffrey
  • CittaCitta Veteran

@zenff said:
    My guess is they didn’t stop being good football players; they are simply tired. Maybe mentally tired, maybe physically tired, maybe both.

Its an interesting phenomenon.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2014

WTF, Spain? No chemistry. No speed. Looked like a completely different team from 2010. I guess that's what I get for picking them because I have a crush on Torres. The Dutch have a good chance of winning this year, although Van Persie is injury prone... Damn, by brackets have been way off this year.

• CittaCitta Veteran

Well I don't think I would be wise to give up the day job and become a football pundit..

I was sure Spain and Cameroon would both do well.....ho hum.

Spain had no speed. You need to be fast, and they simply seemed to lack running pace....

@federica said:
    I think the awarded penalty to Australia, for a 'hand-ball' was a poor judgement. As my H explained, "it doesn't even have to be deliberate" but in such cases the Referee is permitted to make a judgement call. I think it was poor show, particularly as he was trying to tuck his arm away and avoid contact.
    So when Van Persie shot in the next one for the NL, I thought that justice had been served! Good for them, well played!

Not that I watched it, or anything..... :D .

Maybe I'm biased but isn't the rule that if your arm is away from your body and the ball hits it it is a penalty?

England v Uruguay about to begin.

In the name of equanimity I hope for a draw.

@Bunks said: Maybe I'm biased but isn't the rule that if your arm is away from your body and the ball hits it it is a penalty?

Read my post again:
    "I think the awarded penalty to Australia, for a 'hand-ball' was a poor judgement. As my H explained, "it doesn't even have to be deliberate" but in such cases the Referee is permitted to make a judgement call."

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited June 2014

Oh well, thats it..we are probably ay ayche tee..... aht.

You could always follow your favourite Moderator's example and support 'La bella Italia..." Forza ragazzi - alla vittoria! :lol: .

@federica said:
    "I think the awarded penalty to Australia, for a 'hand-ball' was a poor judgement. As my H explained, "it doesn't even have to be deliberate" but in such cases the Referee is permitted to make a judgement call."

Thanks for clarifying.

@Citta said:
    Oh well, thats it..we are probably ay ayche tee..... aht.

Maybe you could drop the Aussies off on your way home!

Kundo
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Maybe you could drop the Aussies off on your way home!

Cahill should be proud of himself.

I was really hoping Greece would win over Japan today. Still, they're not out just yet.

• zenffzenff Veteran
    edited June 2014

An effective striker in form (like Suarez) makes the difference.

Tiki-taka is over; forget winning games by having seventy percent of ball possession. The striker in form decides the game.
    That’s my “analysis” of the tournament so far. :rolleyes:

If I picture Suarez playing in the Australian team against the Netherlands for instance; I see him scoring three goals at least.

England plays in a difficult group. Both Italy and Uruguay have good teams (with an exceptional striker). It’s not a big disgrace to go out in this group.

BunksCitta

@dhammachick said:
    I was really hoping Greece would win over Japan today. Still, they're not out just yet.

The problem for Greece is that you have to score goals to win! Not sure they're capable.

@dhammachick said:

Swans tonight @dhammachick? Richmond are on the nose this season.

• CittaCitta Veteran

@zenff said:
    An effective striker in form (like Suarez) makes the difference.

Tiki-taka is over; forget winning games by having seventy percent of ball possession. The striker in form decides the game.
    That’s my “analysis” of the tournament so far. :rolleyes:

If I picture Suarez playing in the Australian team against the Netherlands for instance; I see him scoring three goals at least.

England plays in a difficult group. Both Italy and Uruguay have good teams (with an exceptional striker). It’s not a big disgrace to go out in this group.

True...sob.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Oh Well - take it on the chin boys....

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Swans tonight @dhammachick? Richmond are on the nose this season.

Again there was not much Buddhist behaviour in my loungeroom LOL But alas, I am not a perfect Boddhisattva :buck: ...

Bunks
    edited June 2014

Ghana was back in it to win it today, baby! It was a draw with Germany, 2, 2...but the last hour was awesome to watch! That first goal by Germany assisted in with the head/knee shot was sweet! We'll see what USA does tomorrow.....

Jason

@Vastmind said:
    Ghana was back in it to win it today, baby! It was a draw with Germany, 2, 2...but the last hour was awesome to watch! That first goal by Germany assisted in with the head/knee shot was sweet! We'll see what USA does tomorrow.....

Yes. The first half was a bit of a snore fest but the second half was highly entertaining. Ghana still a chance to go through.

At this rate, the Netherlands and France look like the teams to beat.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited June 2014

@Vastmind said:

Ghana were superb, as were Iran..the old order is changing. The European/South American axis is giving way to a genuinely world-wide phenomenon.

• CittaCitta Veteran

@Jason said:
    At this rate, the Netherlands and France look like the teams to beat.

Its looking like that.

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' 'bout....

Though shame on the police....

Vastmind
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

One thing I have noticed is the players always go down and riggle in agony to get a foul whereas in hockey one guy, Jeremy Roenick, played in the playoffs with a broken jaw.

I know... some of them should win Oscars... clutching their shins and writhing in pain, their faces contorted.... and the replay shows they were hit on the arm.....

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

US allows the tying goal with one minute left. OMG

edited June 2014

@Jeffrey said:
    One thing I have noticed is the players always go down and riggle in agony to get a foul whereas in hockey one guy, Jeremy Roenick, played in the playoffs with a broken jaw.

Soccer plays can be just as badass. Dempsey played the last two games with a broken nose after getting kicked in the face; and during the last World Cup, I saw Samir Nasri take an awfully nasty elbow to the head early on, giving him the biggest knot I've ever seen, and he still played the entire game.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2014

I am proven wrong. Just a little too much acting though. You see it 20 times a game.

I know you have to be tough in soccer. I played in highschool and a lot of the 'defense' involved kicking the player in their shin.