Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Gateway of Awakening

anatamananataman Who needs a title?Where am I? Veteran

What am I talking about here? I hear you mutter, 'more nonsense no doubt from that anataman chap'; however, I will talk my way through 360 degrees so you can see where I am coming from hopefully from all angles. Don't worry no sutra's or serious reading required, it's a mental exercise, theres nothing to gain here, nothing to argue with. ... \ lol / ...

The buddhist path might be viewed like this:
You feel like you are suffering or someone has wronged you, so look to stop suffering this wrong doing, it's a fundamental concept in buddhism. SO you find yourself on a path to liberate your suffering self. When you 'metaphorically look back' it might seem that there is absolutely nothing. However turn 180 degrees and there is a metaphorical door saying I am you and on the other side of this door is your awakening. So you decide to take that final liberating step and go through the door and then you feel let down and disillusioned, there is the world you are used to out there in front of you, what's so special about that? You turn back 180 degrees to see the door has disappeared into nothing. Turn back to the world again and there again appears the door with the words this door is your awakening, but someone has put a smiley face on it; you step through the door again and there is the world again. Now you can repeat this process interminably, or you can go and explore and be part of the world.

In that exploration you have discovered the knowledge that the world is just an illusion and that illusion is impermanent, empty of any real self (although their are plenty of people playing their illusory selves) and it's brim full of suffering (which serves to remind you to wake up).

And that is a simple gateway of awakening, enjoy or suffer, your decision. Don't be afraid to wake up, sometimes it is nice to have a big instantaneous shock; sometimes its better with those who don't like sudden shocks, to take it slowly and examine the door a bit, bash it about, test it's strength, wonder at it's construction etc. and slowly go through and experience that awake state, but remember, don't go to any extremes, it can lead to the most odd or dreadful things...

Enough rambling, I'm going for a walk, I woke up feeling good this morning, and gave myself permission to feel good; may as well enjoy those moments whilst I can, I might not be so good to myself later!

EarthninjaJeffrey

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2014

I liken this in fact, to merely drawing a thin veil aside.... we are standing in an open and beautiful space, but suspended, in front of us, is this veil, separating this open and beautiful space, from the open and beautiful space we can see beyond.
    Yet, though we want to draw this veil aside, we are unable to move it..... either our arm just won't follow our direction, or we're standing on the hem of the veil....

anatamanEarthninja
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

@anataman‌ I hope your day is still going as well!

That was brilliant thank you, I think I'm the one shaking the door and testing it's structure.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

It was until I saw how ridiculous I was, and started trying to compensate.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Not sure if I am making sense anymore ... \ lol / ...

I am sure.

Generally and increasingly you are gibbering.

As your efforts are considered 'brilliant', you might feel validated.

It is up to you what action will improve the situation, which might not currently be an option . . .

:)

JeffreyCittaanataman

Thanks @lobster - mental note: must stop gibbering!

I suppose I should stop fooling around and get back to the serious job of waking up completely, rather than be side-tracked and taken for a ride by the myriad states of consciousness and visions.

I'll go sit with it. Time to consider a Dzogchen teacher seriously, I knew I'd have to do it one day - but it's been a great experience watching myself avoid it - tut! I'll ask @Citta if he, his teacher or a member of his sangha knows of one in SE London, perhaps he'll oblige me with a recommendation.

• CittaCitta Veteran

The London contact for the Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

is judy.allan@dzogchencommunityuk.org @anataman.

Thanks!