Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

i've always wondered about this..

how english sounds to non english speakers...ive even tried to tune out the meanings of words when people talk to try to try and imagine this.. it only works for a split second. but this vid may just have it. hmmm
WARNING video mildly annoying

Invincible_summer

Comments

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

I guess I understand what they're trying to do, but the description says they're a London-based filmmaking team, and the guy even sounds like he has a bit of an Irish accent... so I'm a bit lost as to how they know what English sounds like to non-English speakers.

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran

@Invincible_summer‌ im glad you understand a bit what they are trying to do... to me this just sounds like a new live action SIMS movie lol... I'm confused.

doesn't every language that you don't understand sound like speedy gibberish?

• oceancaldera207oceancaldera207 Veteran
    edited June 2014

it's more than the speedy gibberish thing... it's capturing the flavor of the language. its something you kind of miss if it's your native tongue. for example, i know what arabic languages sound like, japanese, german, french etc.. they have a certain character. listening to them, english sort of sounds like a softer more fluid german. definitely feels most like german.
    the gibberish just helps you tune out the meaning and focus on the feel.

• I lived in England and tried to understand a couple with a very heavy Welsh accent who lived downstairs. Trying to understand them gave me an actual headache after a while.

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran

@oceancaldera207‌ I believe that English branched off Germanic language, at least grammatically.

oceancaldera207
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Theswingisyellow, yes, but in fact, English is a definite mish-mash - a composite of various languages which over time, have infiltrated, penetrated and irreversibly affected and influenced our vocabulary today.

This is why Through, dough, thorough, cough, plough and enough are all pronounced differently. It's due to their original provenance.

Invincible_summerStraight_ManTheswingisyellow
  • CittaCitta Veteran

I suspect that the nearest a native English speaker can get to hearing what it sounds like to non English speakers is to listen to Flemish..Its the same provenance and very similar cadences.

oceancaldera207