Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"The Power of Nightmares"

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

For those interested in current events -- the Middle East, the endless wars, the fear-factor politics -- I recommend the three-part BBC series called "The Power of Nightmares."

This is not for the Tweet of mind. Among other things, the three separate parts add up to some three hours. But it is not wack-job conspiracy journalism. It is largely factual and quiet.

What it does is to give some background to the coming-of-age of both radical Islamism in the Middle East and the ascendance of neo-conservatism in Washington (and London). Among other topics I enjoyed was the U.S. creation of Al Qaida and its threat ... almost entirely stitched together out of whole cloth.

I would say, "Enjoy!" but the fact is that the series is without much joy. Still, I think it deserves consideration against the next time someone announces that there is a 'credible' threat and for that reason you should relinquish one liberty or another.

Hamsaka

Comments

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited June 2014

@genkaku‌ your either with us or against us. ;) .
    Thanks for the post, I'l take a look.
    I come from the perspective that powerful groups, be they government or other entities (terrorist groups, their leaders ect) , will lie, cajole, or force their will. It's burdensome and devastating effects are shouldered by the poor, the young men of a nation and it's civilian population. Nothing new in history. I think we learn nothing from history, each new generation believes the same lies and history repeats itself ad nauseum.
    I like this quote :
    "Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY." --Goering at the Nuremberg Trials

Due to our biology and the way we think we will see threats over opportunities on an order of 2:1. We will, as a species overestimate our threats, this plays well for those who would seek control. I can't reference the exact page it's coming from Daniel Kahneman's book "Thinking Fast and Slow"-in the process of finishing it. Insightful.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Ewww. I watched all three videos last night and didn't have the oomph to respond. I still don't and all I have to say is "It figures". I've known for a LONG time the conservative party was exploiting Christians for their votes, and this film gave excellent background rationals for it. So I appreciate the film for providing specific ideas on how 'it all got started' with both the Islamic fundamentalism and Neo-Conservatism. Makes a ton of sense.

I had NO idea that the Al Qaeda sleeper cells were quietly exonerated for being mistaken for terrorists. They sure did keep that one quiet.

Politicians could no longer 'keep power' over the masses with promises of Shangri La, and 'liberalism' was running society into the ground. Strauss saw that people need strong guiding principles, got himself a group of followers who FORGOT Strauss mentioned they themselves knew better than to believe their own rhetoric, and enter Neo-Conservatism and the Religious Right. Basically the same shit happened with Islamic fundamentalism except I can't remember their names as easily.

Nightmares have all the power necessary as they exploit our evolution as wary creatures. Exploiting this wariness and willingness to war efficiently duped ME as I came of age during the Reagan administration. I remember 'the evil empire' and how Moscow was trying to take over the world secretly.

Hmph. Well, thanks for the video links! I appreciate a good set of videos like this that aren't Truthers or Zeitgeisters who may have important ideas but they lose my trust before long in all the conspiracy theory.

I guess The Power of Nightmare describes a conspiracy theory, except that there is no smoking gun, except the human default of suspicious fearfulness of the 'other'. The idiots gesticulating at us from the Tea Party may really believe their own bullshit, which is missing the point of the usefulness of their movement.