Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New Buddhist available as book

@Jason said:
I like the idea of a book written from the perspective of lay life, though. Maybe that's something a bunch of us could do together, writing a chapter or two about the practice of Buddhism from our own experience.

This is how wikibooks works
http://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Subject:Buddhism

Do we haz plan?

Any ideas for title?

'Buddhist Experience' maybe? I am starting my chapter as we speak, it will be called provisionally:

'Cushioning Ones Life'

EarthninjaanatamanBunks

Comments

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

My chapter will be called "Writer's block"

zombiegirllobsterEarthninjaanataman
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited June 2014

Name the book something like, "Why I became a Buddhist" or "What it means to be a Buddhist" and invite people to write a chapter or so with their own thoughts. They don't have to use their real names, of course.

You need the following to put together a book on any subject:
    1. It has to have a focus. It should not be just "Buddhism" because that's too broad and none of us are experts on world religions.
    2. It has to have an editor, someone who has the final word on what goes into the book. This person should proofread the entries and correct for spelling and grammar, etc.
    3. It should include an introduction explaining where these people are coming from and what the reader should expect, in this case the New Buddhist forum and these chapters are from a wide variety of people, some just starting and some who spent years practicing.

I'm too busy writing my next novel to do the editing part.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

And I'm too busy Moderating and throwing my weight about as a Grammar-nerd, to do the editing part.... :D .

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Of course, something else we could do, is to contribute comments to a web forum, designed to elicit responses on different aspects, teachings and points-to-ponder regarding Buddhism, and invite Buddhists, or wannabees, to contribute their own PoVs to create a place where people can log in and read, learn, inwardly digest and....

Oh.....

....Hang on......

Zenshinzombiegirlanataman
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran

A lot of ifs here... BUT, if we decided to go through with this, someone would have to step up as editor in chief. I would also suggest that we start by opening a general submission call. Anyone who was interested could submit a story/perspective/whatever of a designated length (probably 1000-3000 words).

We could go about it a few different ways, depending on the angle we decide on. If we wanted to do a general "The Buddha in Your Internet" kinda vibe that presented itself exactly as it is (an internet sangha that banded together to produce a book), then all topics are free game and people could just submit what they like. Or... if we decided a more structured format might work better, we could create topics and request submissions for those specifically (vegetarianism/reincarnation/all the hot button issues that seem to resurface so frequently are a great place to start).

Aside from wikibooks, another suggestion could be to make a kindle book on Amazon. I have never published with them, personally, but my understanding is that it's very easy and if you make it kindle exclusive, they even allow you to set your price as low as zero at times to boost sales/gain reviews. Any money earned otherwise could even be donated to a charity if someone wanted to step up to be the treasurer.

I do like the idea of keeping it focused on "The Lay Person's Answer to the Lay Person's Life" sorta angle, but I do wonder if it would really work in a book format. What is so great about NewBuddhist is the informal "no question is too stupid" vibe that also ends up being "no answer is too stupid." It creates a welcome environment where nobody claims to have the definitive answer on any given topic (mostly) and we tend to be very open to learning. However, people read books because they want to learn... I would say that some among us are definitely up to the task of offering great informed insight on certain topics... but what about the noobs that are a little less far along the path? (I include myself in the latter group, btw.) Is your typical reader going to value their insight or write them off because of their lack of street cred?

P.S. I need editors far too badly to step up into that role myself, lol.