Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are we mystics?

When I heard a senior abbot admonish Buddhist nuns for reading Rumi with the words, 'we are not mystics'. I thought he was ill advised. I still do.

Personally I consider myself on a mystical path. You can read about the Buddhist version here:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysticism

I consider the god aspect or mystery element irrelevant in much 'rational dharma'.

What is your approach and insight?

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran

I remember a long debate conducted through The Middle Way magazine concerning whether Buddhism was mysticism.

It fizzled out because no one could come up with an agreed definition of mysticism.

• MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful Agnathiest CT , USA Veteran
    edited July 2014

I am "cultivating an intimacy with the ordinary". Though that may be full of wonder once the dullness the mind imbues on it is removed I don't consider it mystical. Bob

Dandelion
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Hmm interesting idea

I think the buddhist path can be likened to a mystical path, but trying to define mysticism is like trying to define someone else's experience of themselves. It can't be done to the others satisfaction. Or can it - possibly, but where is the mystery then?

Whereas, mysticism is often associated with people who announce or try to express in some way that they have come to 'realise' the nature of reality to whatever degree, the ecstasy and excitement it produces is prone to cause one to try and explain it away with religious and spiritual fervour and overtones, and the experience can become somewhat stale to the people who are being sold it. I think that is what happened when the likes of David Icke and others have become caught up and attached to the 'mystical vision' they have witnessed. Perhaps what the abbott was saying to the nun - you've formally committed to buddhism, why are you reading someone else's ideas, don't you have your own?

I doubt if there are few people alive who have not had a moment when they find themselves at the centre of something amazing, i.e. themselves in the world, either suffering, being joyous, or just being a being, but being nonetheless (which is amazing) and they are the cause of the amazement. That recognition is what I call a mystical experience. Being and recognising my awareness during meditation is quite a mystical experience in itself, and I feel pleasured to be able to experience it.

Buddhism in my opinion takes a formal and calculated approach that allows everyone to reach the same conclusions for themselves, and therefore enjoy a universal vision.

But this is just my opinion, I am sure there are many others, and like you welcome them @lobster.

JeffreyBuddhadragon
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited July 2014

Tibetan Buddhist history and lore is full of stories about lamas who had visions leading to their discovery of secret texts ("terma") full of the teachings of Padmasambhava, and other esteemed gurus of times past. If that isn't mysticism, I don't know what is. Also, when meditators pass through the phase where they experience "siddhis", or paranormal abilities, could also be said to be mysticism.

But that's Tibetan Buddhism. I don't think Theravada has a tradition of visionary encounters or clairvoyance and other siddhis, nor does Zen, AFAIK.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

@Dakini - That's just mysticism in a moment, and no old geyser is gonna reign on a parade.