Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

another youtube appreciation thread. Fun to comb through bands/songs you never heard.

Comments

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

I'm really getting into this downtempo/hip-hop/drum & bass/R&B thing that seems sort of trendy right now.

@Jeffrey - That's a wild music video!!!

anatamanVastmind
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited July 2014

You never heard of erasure! Ok so it' was a UK band from my youth.

They are on a par with:

and

ownerof1000oddsocksBunksBuddhadragonZayl
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Jimmy Sommerville? Bronski Beat? Erasure?
    @anataman: are you coming out of the eighties closet???

anatamanInvincible_summer
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

This one is a personal favourite. Probably off tempo, here, but I thought I'd share it anyway.
    This song won the Oscar to Best Song in 2005, and two Baftas the same year, for best song and best film in foreign language.
    The film is from Argentina, "Motorcycle Diaries," about young Che Guevara's first trip all over the Southamerican continent, which sort of sealed his destiny as a future guerrillero.
    The singer is Jorge Drexler and the song is called "Al otro lado del río." (Beyond the river or on the other side of the river)

Invincible_summer
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited July 2014

One of my favorite African groups......Mafikizolo. ( South Africa)... The genre of music this group makes is called kwaito...( 'slower' house music)....

I posted their song Khona in a previous music thread...so I'll do another one here...

It's called Happiness ... :) .... English kicks in later in the song...hahaha

Invincible_summer
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited July 2014

Kia Ora,

Some good ol' Kiwi new wave pub bands of the late 70s early 80s

Oh and because I'm a naturalised Aussie (who lives in NZ)

Metta Shoshin . :) ..

Zayl
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited July 2014

Awesome music so far! loving it.

Invincible_summer
  • edited July 2014

This is a really cute one that I stumbled across one day. Not my usual style, but it melted my heart right past my stylistic preferences :)

And this one is quite mesmerizingly beautiful.

Ooh, and just onnnne more :P

VastmindZayl

Kia Ora,

When visiting some German friends they introduce me to this group back in the early 80s...

Kraftwerk

Autobahn

Metta Shoshin :)

Invincible_summerBuddhadragon
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

@Vastmind - Wow! I like it. Pretty chill and upbeat.

@Zayl - \m/

So I know some of you like bluegrass/country (I know I do) - some of you like heavy metal.

How about some Finnish guys in overalls playing a bluegrass cover of Dio's "Holy Diver?!!"

I'm also in a bhangra mood, even if I have no idea what they're singing about and all the songs sound the same

Buddhadragon
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Bamboo flute performed by Kwame Yeboah. (Ghana musician)

This one goes out to @Cinorjer .. :) ...

• robotrobot Veteran

• SkeeterkbSkeeterkb Explorer

One of my favourite DJs performing a 50-min live set. Sit back and relax!

Zayl

KIa Ora,

Metta Shoshin . :) ..

edited July 2014

Weird Al's back! 2nd half of the song totally came out of nowhere and really made the song... lol

@dharmamom - I was just a teenager when these bands came out, but was bombarded with this kinda stuff - I just didn't know they were being so gayly abandoned and had to express themselves vocally in the way they did.

Personally, I like music without vocals!

A bit on the heavier side, but really skilled musicianship. And purely instrumental! @anataman, I also appreciate instrumental music. I think it's harder to convey emotions and moods without lyrics and vocals, and so it requires a lot more skill to write a song that does all that without a singer.

• kokorokokoro Explorer

^^Saw Tosin Abassi live when he came down to Hobart for a guitar demo, brilliant muso!!

Invincible_summer

A bit too highly strung for me to begin with but with perseverance got with the vibe after about 90 seconds, then it got a bit intense then - cooooool, but then OOOOOOH!

I think you live on a different life intensity wavelength to me, but live and let live @Invincible_summer‌ ... \ lol / ...

Invincible_summer