Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Past life: Buddhist Monk reflects on life as a Punk Drummer.

cazcaz VeteranUnited Kingdom Veteran

Kelsang Pawo was once a Professional Musician...He could find no happiness in the midst of Samsara so he choose another path. :)

Bunks

Comments

• He seems to be caring for a small temple somewhere...does anyone know where he stays now and what school he ordained into?

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@Cinorjer said:
    He seems to be caring for a small temple somewhere...does anyone know where he stays now and what school he ordained into?

Google him. He may not be a monk at all.

Pawo
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran

http://meditationinmass.org/buddhist-teacher-massachusetts/

Serlingpa Meditation Center Resident Teacher Kelsang Pawo

Kelsang Pawo is an American Buddhist monk and the Resident Teacher at Serlingpa Kadampa Meditation Center. He has been a student of renowned teacher Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, the founder of the New Kadampa Tradition for many years.

Pawo’s heartfelt teachings are presented with insight & humor, making them accessible and practical to everyone.

Chaz
  • Ah, that's a shame. I wondered why he skipped all the information about his teachers and when he was ordained, etc, in his video. So does anyone know if he really was the drummer for this group like he claims?

• @Jayantha said:
    http://meditationinmass.org/buddhist-teacher-massachusetts/

Serlingpa Meditation Center Resident Teacher Kelsang Pawo

Kelsang Pawo is an American Buddhist monk and the Resident Teacher at Serlingpa Kadampa Meditation Center. He has been a student of renowned teacher Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, the founder of the New Kadampa Tradition for many years.

Pawo’s heartfelt teachings are presented with insight & humor, making them accessible and practical to everyone.

Heh. Just goes to show. You know, we in the West are used to just about anyone being able to set up a storefront church and preach the Word of God, that this insistence on being certified and such seems rather...foreign. People who do set themselves up as monks and end up responsible for various large funds do need to be completely honest and transparent. That's why teaching monks and money accounts should ideally be completely separate. That way, there's no appearance of improprieties.

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran

He's a very good teacher Pawo :)

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

@Cinorjer said:
    Ah, that's a shame. I wondered why he skipped all the information about his teachers and when he was ordained, etc, in his video. So does anyone know if he really was the drummer for this group like he claims?

Why anyone would pretend that they were a drummer in a band?

Rowan1980Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Why wouldn't they?

zombiegirl
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

You might be impressed with the drumming. I am more impressed with the efforts of Mr Cushion. Excellent support . . . no flinching. Just sits through it all. Bravo cushion . . .

• Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran

Not gonna lie; I happily flailed on the inside when he mentioned drumming for Nina Hagen. :D

• PawoPawo New
    edited August 2014

Hello everyone who posted a comment....I'm confused about some of the comments though.... why do you think I'm lying about being the drummer in the Nina Hagen band? If you just watch the video you're discussing, you'll see - there's video of me playing drum set with Nina, in the Nina Hagen Band. There you go - proof that can't be disputed:) As far as me 'skipping information' - Elizabeth Jenkins made this lovely video, - I completely respect Elizabeth, and within the five minutes allotted, she very astutely chose the information that she hoped could convey my story in the most spiritually meaningful way. If you want to find out more about my background - just google my name. There was no way Elizabeth could include everything you mentioned - anyway...I think you're probably missing the point of the video.

As far as 'setting myself up as a church for funds', that sounds exhausting and very boring - truth is; I am an ordained Buddhist monk in the New Kadampa Tradition, ordained by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso in 2009, my center - Serlingpa Kadampa Meditation Center is part of the International Kadampa Buddhist Union, which is a western / Tibetan based tradition that has a long lineage of teachers traceable directly back to Buddha Shakyamuni. This tradition has a scholarly background based on the teachings of Je Tsongkhapa, Shantideva, and Buddha Atisha as presented by Geshe-Kelsang Rinpoche... - however, this is just the tip of the iceberg of the profundity of Buddhism we study. The finances in this international organization are transparent, as every center is a registered non profit. This is true in whatever country any NKT center exists. My 'salary' consists of room and board, and a very small stipend - this stipend is well below poverty level, but it covers everything I need in life, the rest of any income from any NKT center globally goes back into promoting the Peace and Intelligence of Dharma in the world. So - if you would like to get beyond the silliness of ' he's lying and only in it for money' nonsense accusations - how about coming to a teaching at any of our centers? Are you really interested in living your life in accordance with the Buddhist way of life? Do you really want to see peace and change in the world? Do you want to be part of a global movement that actually KNOWS how to have a meaningful life and to help others learn the same? I challenge all of you to become the best, happiest person, who is beneficial to everyone in your life.... a Bodhisattva. I guarantee you will be happier, and that you will eventually realize that happiness comes from compassion and deep active training in unconditional love for others. Find a QUALIFIED spiritual guide - in any tradition you choose, and attend classes and teachings by that teacher, and then put that QUALIFIED spiritual guides' teachings and instructions into practice. If they are correct, and the teacher shows you the correct paths of renunciation, Bodhichitta, and the correct view of emptiness, then (happily) you are one of the lucky few who are on the path to enlightenment. This is what Buddha taught. Good luck - I wish you all peace and love, and real lasting happiness.

K Pawo

http://kadampa.org/
    http://meditationinmass.org/
    http://meditationinboston.org/
    https://www.facebook.com/serlingpa.meditation.center
    https://www.facebook.com/meditation.in.boston

@Cinorjer said:

Heh. Just goes to show. You know, we in the West are used to just about anyone being able to set up a storefront church and preach the Word of God, that this insistence on being certified and such seems rather...foreign. People who do set themselves up as monks and end up responsible for various large funds do need to be completely honest and transparent. That's why teaching monks and money accounts should ideally be completely separate. That way, there's no appearance of improprieties.

@Cinorjer said:
    He seems to be caring for a small temple somewhere...does anyone know where he stays now and what school he ordained into?

cazoverthecuckoosnestBunks
  • I am so surprise that people are still asking if he is a real monk, where does he live because he did answer all those questions so clearly in his previous comment.

.He even mentionrd where he was teaching and where his center is.He also mentioned he was part of the New Kadampa Tradition which the mother house is located in England in Ulverston exactly and it's call Manjushri where all resident teachers from all over the world who are part of the New Kadampa Tradition go every summer for classes.Kelsang Pawo was ordained at Manjoushri and believe me I know him very well I have been in the same tradition for the past 11 years as a lay person.

I really hope my comment will be helping people who still have questions about Kelsang Pawo please read his comment he is a wonderfull buddhist monk with lots of compassion and wisdom.I can assure you is not not a liar he is real 100%.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Thanks.
    But in mitigation, I would point out that when mere words appear on a screen, nobody can ever 100% guarantee what their provenance is.

let's talk about me, for example....

Actually, I have been blessed with a great life and am living in a beautiful home in Windsor, near the castle; I have 6 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 8 acres of land, a swimming pool and a stable block.

Actually, I live in a one-bedroom flat, with very little money, no knowledge of where exactly my next meal is coming from, and am reliant on the goodness and kindness of freinds for shelter and help.

Which one do you suppose is true?

We're a lot of people, with many questions, and as this is a forum we frequent and belong to, we have a right to question matters put before us, and to seek clarification.

We take nothing for granted or at face value.

Why.... Should we?

BuddhadragonRowan1980how
  • edited November 2014

Being skeptical and finding out the truth is commendable. But I can understand the somewhat defensive responses due to the flippant tone in which doubts were expressed. The information is easily accessible (Google, etc.). However, doubts of his honesty and half-accusations of "setting up a church" in order to make money were thrown out there on a whim.

I don't think it's a big deal, but I understand the defensiveness.

I agree regarding the manner, granted.
    I disagree regarding the rationale.

Hopefully, we could actually put this one 'to bed' for now.
    Naturally, I'll re-open if the need arises. :)

This discussion has been closed.