Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meaning of a chant?

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Hi there - hope everyone is we'll?

I heard a Tibetan Buddhist chant that goes:

Tayata om muni muni maha muniye soha

Anyone know what it means?

Thanks!!

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran

TA YA THA – it is like this
    OM – The All-Knowledge of the three bodies of a buddha and of the infinite Buddha’s Holy Body, Speech and Mind. The knowledge of the two paths to enlightenment (Method and Wisdom), and of the two truths (Absolute and relative) that contain all existence within them.
    MUNI – Control over the suffering of the three lower realms and over the wrong conception of the self-existent I.
    MUNI – Control over the suffering of all samsara and over self-cherishing thoughts.
    MAHA MUNIYE – Great control over the suffering of subtle illusions and over the dualistic mind.
    SVAHA – May my mind receive, absorb and keep the blessings of the mantra, and may they take root.

See more at: http://www.yowangdu.com/tibetan-buddhism/buddhist-mantras-shakyamuni.html

BunksTalis
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@lobster - thank you my friend

• It's the tibetan chant for gautama, or, shakyamuni buddha. I was told its for purifying negative karma as well.

• zenguitarzenguitar Bad Buddhist New England Veteran

Thanks, I was also wondering what "Tayata" meant. :smile:

• @zenguitar Tayatha means "To go beyond(Samsara)". Tayata is the beginning of Shakyamuni Buddha, Medicine Buddha, and Prajnaparamitra mantra

zenguitar
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

I chant this daily - usually a round of 108 malas before going to bed

_ /\ _

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Fantastic resource centre. I love it.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

This is also one of the mantras I chant.
    I'm not partial to certain things about Lillian Too, but every two years, she comes out with book on mantras that you can get for free if you place an order on her feng shui site.

The latest is quite thicker when compared to the first, and it's quite handy to explain the meaning of different mantras. The illustrations are simply breath-taking:
    http://www.fsmegamall.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3209

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2015

This might be useful to some, it is an audio of me ranting about chanting and mantra . . .
    click on arrow to hear . . . <3

Bunkskarasti
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Funny to hear your voice @lobster - you actually sound reasonably intelligent ;)

lobsterDairyLama
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

(And actually resolves the "is he isn't she" question....)

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

But it might be using voice-modulation software, @lobster is a techie... ;)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Sure he is..... and I'm a starfish.....

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Some starfish are very intelligent, you know. ;)

Tell me about it! We got one guy here, he's so big-headed though, you'd think he has six legs!