Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tibetan Buddhist altar

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Hi everyone

I recently visited my local Tibetan Buddhist Centre not too far from my home in Australia.

http://www.drolkarbuddhistcentre.org.au

I took the attached photo of the altar as I thought it was quite magnificent! I didn't really have time to ask what the different statues etc. represented (obviously the dude in the middle is the Buddha and there is a small photo of HHDL under him).

I wondered if any of you fine people would be able to tell me who the statues were and what all the things in the cupboards are? Are they scriptures?

Thanks!

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
    :clap: .
    Looks like a http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyingma shrine based on the hoody statues of Longchenpa. On the left of Shakyamuni it looks like Guru Rinpoche and on the right a 1000 arm Chenresig.
    The Buddha on the far right is in the naughty corner for being holy without due care and attention . . .
    Puja/mantra/scripture in cupboards (in other words sadhana)

OM YA HA HUM

:bowdown: .

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I jjust think he looks a bit chilly..... Bless.....

Beautiful picture actually, but not practising Tibetan Buddhism as a main calling, my offerings would be sheer guesswork.
    But it's really lovely.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited July 2014

Shakyamuni and 1000 armed Chenrezig ( Avalokitesvara ) as lobster says.

I am not sure that's Guru Rinpoche ( Padmakara ) though, it looks like Manju Shri to me. But hard to see because of the flowers.

I would guess that the smaller figure with the pointed hat top left is Tsongkapa the great Reformer.

The scrolls are the Kangyur and Tengyur..which former is the Buddhavacana 'words of the Buddha', translated into Tibetan. The Tengyur are the commentaries on the Kangyur.

Its a very typical Gelug shrine...

The Gelug is the monastic school of the Vajrayana. The school of which HH the Dalai Lama is a member.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2014

I thought it was Manjushri at first, as it is Gelug and not Nyingma. There is at least one vajra in the hand. Vajrasattva? Had another look - Manjushri sword is there. Yes is Manjushri. Also got the hoody dude wrong. Naughty left hand corner for me . . .

Did you notice Mr Cushion is there . . . ?

• kokorokokoro Explorer

Thank you for sharing that photo Bunks, great memories, my wife and i recently (last year) renewed our marriage vows there, we were originally married in a Catholic Church 25 years ago but at this stage in our lives, wanted our vows to reflect our outlook.

• OK, I'll bite. The Buddha in the corner wrapped in his robe symbolizes what, again?

• MeatballMeatball Explorer

That is not manjushree. His right arm is almost completely stretched holding a sword and his head is slightly tilted towards left. That looks like four arms chenresig to me.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@kokoro said:
    Thank you for sharing that photo Bunks, great memories, my wife and i recently (last year) renewed our marriage vows there, we were originally married in a Catholic Church 25 years ago but at this stage in our lives, wanted our vows to reflect our outlook.

That's awesome! Small world hey.

I am going to try and get there more often. Nice group of people and very inspiring.

I'll have to ask who the various statues are to clear up the confusion.

Thanks for responding everyone!

lobster