Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Artilcles of Grievances I: Race

2»

Comments

• edited April 2007
    When I saw that there had actually been a response to my post revival, I was somewhat anxious about the kind of heat that I was surely about to take. Wishy-washy feel good cliches were not quite what I was expecting.
    Why bring up this subject again?

Becuase there is not much action on the boards except for debating about Limbo and the Pope.
    To prove a point?

That is how any rational debate discussion works. I make a point and attempt to prove it through some type of persuasion.
    I think the main point people insist on making is that they're RIGHT.

That is bad why? Of course, if I make an arguement, I put forth a point in the belief that I am RIGHT. Just as you responded to my post disapprovingly. And I can naturally assume that you believe you are right, no?
    That's too bad.

Why? Because if I just cover my ears and sing, then I can convince myself that there are no problems worthy of my attention. I live in a world of real problems where I feel that we should be able to freely discuss those problems.
    WE CLING TOO MUCH TO IDENTITIES.

I don't see how that is pertitent to the discussion of race at hand. Unless of course you are saying that we should NOT identify with our race. To which I would agree with you.
    Just Let Go. And Be Free and Happy.

Yes. Ignore real world problems and imagine that everything is good. I think I'll pass. I think if I can confront the world problems and still be happy, I have achieved something great.
    Mind Garbage is Bad for the Soul. If somebody else has mind garbage, sharing my own mind garbage with him or her won't help. It will only make the dump bigger and smellier.

Pray tell give me a topic of discussion that you wouldn't consider mind garbage. Fluffy Bunnies? Perhaps our favorite tea recipe? My home gardening techniques? I placed this thread under the category of America because obviously I live there. And the title of my thread was called "Articles of Grievances". I am not exactly sure what you expected to read when coming here. But obviously I have left you disappointed.
    As said in many posts above: People can change their minds.

This thread has remained an intellectual stalemate and no one has seemed to change their minds yet. Again, another purpose of rational dialogue is to critique and persuade.
    That's a Good Thing.

Yes, but you seem to be discouraging discussion of the topic all together and thereby disabling anyone from changing their minds.
    May Bliss Precede You on Your Path.
    May the Road Rise Up and Kiss You.
    And May You Litter the Path Behind You
    With Abundant Seeds of Bliss!

Now you are just ignoring the discussion all together. I stopped debating the issue several months ago when I began to perceive that very thing happening in this thread. I re-read the entire thread and realized that there were points I had left unanswered. So, to finish my rebuttal to you, I will leave you with a bit of my own poetry.

May silence be your shield against trouble
    And your eyes closed to all confrontation
    Ignore the world, its problems will double
    Gilded thought, intellectual desecration
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Allow me to reword your foaming from the mouth, presumptious, babbling, racist comment here.
    Did you really say that? Who the hell do you think you're talking to? I don't know who or what you're really mad at but you'd better watch your mouth, KOB. You have neither the reason nor the right to speak to me that way and you've just lost an ally through your inability to control your anger, ignorance and arrogance. What on earth did you think you had to gain by attacking and antagonizing me? Are you so frustrated with your inability to understand and reasonably counter my points that you have to stoop to twisting the whole thing out of all recognition and put your own foul words into my mouth? Grow up, KOB, and while you're at it, cry me a river, white boy.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2007
    *** WARNING: GOD EMPEROR MODE *** MODERATING *** WARNING: GOD EMPEROR MODE ***

Everyone,

Please take the time to consider Brian's Announcements in Forum, especially the request to please keep your words and thoughts respectful and polite while you are visiting this forum. While certain discussions will inevitably become emotional, there is a limit to the type of behavior that will be allowed. As much as I abhor censorship, if the topic continues to degrade into abusive speech, the offending posts will be removed and/or the thread will be closed.

Sincerely,

Leto II
    *** WARNING: GOD EMPEROR MODE *** MODERATING *** WARNING: GOD EMPEROR MODE ***
  • edited April 2007
    I expect that the banhammer is to fall soon, whether within the hour or by nightfall, so I will work quickly here.
    Did you really say that?

Yes.
    Who the hell do you think you're talking to?

Someone whose comments I found very self-contradictory.
    I don't know who or what you're really mad at but you'd better watch your mouth, KOB.

I am mad at no one. But I did found your attitude and stance quite paradoxical in nature.
    You have neither the reason nor the right to speak to me that way and you've just lost an ally through your inability to control your anger, ignorance and arrogance.

I did not realize I had an ally in this discussion.
    What on earth did you think you had to gain by attacking and antagonizing me?

I didn't expect to gain anything actually. Nor do I really expect to much longer.
    Are you so frustrated with your inability to understand and reasonably counter my points that you have to stoop to twisting the whole thing out of all recognition and put your own foul words into my mouth?

I am frustrated with your inability to recognize the faults in your arguements where it remains completely justifiable to make such blanket statements about an entire race, myself, and my ancestors (who have had nothing to do with slavery or racism in this country). And yet, at the same time, it is appalling to you that I have the audacity to suggest that race should not have any effect on the legal system.
    cry me a river, white boy.

Nice. My point exactly. It is okay for you to use my own skin pigmentation against me and to make blanket statements about myself and my family, but who am I to gripe about society, right?

I am the first generation of my family in America since my 1912 immigrant ancestors to be born above the poverty line. I am not rich. But just because I am white, I am automatically elite, arrogant, rich, and whatever other stereotypes you have labeled me with.

You are a member of the elite in every way; economically, politically and socially. Every human being on this planet lives under a white male dominated power structure. You are not persecuted by the majority because you are a white male. You're life, and that of your family and friends, is not in danger just because you and they are white.
    Allow me to reword your foaming from the mouth, presumptious, babbling, racist comment here.

And following that....
    "You, black man, are a member of a degenerate race in every fashion; economically, politically, and socially. All you black people blame Old Man Whitey for everything, take advantage of generous opportunities and are basically, at the core, marauding thugs, brigands, and barbarians. You are persecuted by the majority because of the said barbarism and thugishness that your entire race embodies. The only people that you are in danger of are yourselves."

That was a simple parody of your post. I simply exchanged a few words while still playing off the today's modern stereotypes of both races.

That was my response to that post indeed. You know nothing about me and yet you make a presumptious statement about elitism, economics, and social standing of me. For your information, my life has been endangered before for the very reason that I was white. You babble on that which you know nothing about. Don't you find it a bit racist of yourself to be using such blatant stereotypes against people like that?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2007
    I hear you, oh God Emperor Leto II , and I shall behave...:o I promise. I'm calm now and understand the futility of continuing this topic.

KOB, that will be the last rise you'll get out of me and this, the last response. See ya! :)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2007
    KoB, dear friend (yes! friend),

You chose to bump this thread at an interesting moment in the history of racism in the US. I am sure that what you say about your peers is true and that you are entirely accepting of all differences. This is not, however, true throughout your nation. Racist taunts appear to have been part of the atmosphere at Virginia Tech and I have seen no indication that staff intervened in the 'teasing' of Cho Seung-Hui. It would be simplistic to suggest that this form of bullying explains or exculpates but it is contributory.

Whilst you may not have encountered racial discrimination against non-whites, you must be aware that 'racial profiling' is used in the identification of potential terrorists. Nor can you ignore the fact that, elsewhere in the world, people are killing each other because they are of a different 'race' (according to their percepotion) - Darfur and Rwanda give example.

It would seem that ill-educated humans tend to persecute those who are different from themselves, particularly where the colour of their skin is concerned. In the same way as we teach children to behave socially, we have a duty to confront and extirpate this irrational prejudice. That your own community has managed to do so is laudable - and unusual.

That is the wider context but you appear to take personally the fact that racist slaughter, happening elsewhere, has an effect even within your utopian context. And it seems to produce angry written words, whatever your actual feelings.

As this is a Buddhist board, it might be useful to consider anger and angry speech. The Buddha and many other writers have a lot to say about the subject, as do many other writers in many other traditions. Even if we set these comments aside, you might like to consider that you have been unable to convince your respondents. The notion of "hate crimes" is, indeed, a tricky one and a calm atmosphere for debate would be more likely to arrive at a clearer understanding of what is intended by such legislation.

You and I have often been of different minds on subjects raised here but I would be sorry to see you disappear from these boards. Why not try an experiment? Try outlining your opinions calmly. Write your posts and post them only a few hours later after re-reading them. Consider how you want your words to be read: do you want to learn, teach, convince, amuse? Do you want to wind people up? Be aware of your audience. I believe that you will become an even better communicator.

Anger will not serve you well, but the energy of anger, transformed by loving-kindness, will empower you. Why not try it?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2007
    The following was posted as a "Daily Dharma Drop" only five days ago:

Good for All are The 4 Kinds of Right Verbal Action!

The Blessed Buddha once said:
    How, Cunda, is purity of verbal action fourfold?
    1:
    Herein, one avoids lying, abstains from false. He speaks the truth,
    is devoted to the truth, reliable, trustable, never deceiving anyone.
    Being at a meeting, among family, in society, or in the court called
    upon and asked as witness to tell what he knows, he answers, if he
    knows nothing: I know nothing; & if he knows, he answers: I know!
    If he has seen nothing, he answers: I have seen nothing & if he has
    seen something, he answers: I have seen this and that. Thus he never
    deliberately speaks a lie, neither for his own advantage, nor for the
    advantage of others, nor for the sake of any trivial gain whatsoever.
    2:
    He avoids divisive speech, spreading rumours, tale bearing, & gossip.
    What he has heard here, he does not repeat there wishing to cause
    dissension there by splitting those united. What he has heard there,
    he does not tell here so to cause conflict by splitting friends here..
    Rather he unites those who are divided; and those who are united
    he encourages. Harmony, peace, agreement & concord gladdens him.
    He delights and rejoices in Harmony. He spreads & grows Harmony!
    3:
    He avoids harsh & aggressive language, he abstains from all scolding.
    He speaks such words that are gentle, soothing to the ear, pleasing,
    heart-touching, polite, dear, considerate, interesting & agreeable..
    4:
    He avoids vain talk, empty & small talk, void speech and idle prattle!
    He abstains from all babble, chitchat, tittle-tattle and evil hearsay.
    He speaks at the right time, in accordance with facts, speaks what
    is useful, speaks about the Dhamma and the Discipline; his speech is
    like a precious treasure, well timed, always reasoned by arguments,
    moderated, well formulated & full of sound reason & common sense.
    In this -for all- very good way, is purity of verbal action fourfold!

Source (edited extract):
    Numerical Discourses of the Buddha. Anguttara Nikaya AN 10:176
    http://what-buddha-said.net/Canon/Sutta/AN/Index.Numerical.htm
This discussion has been closed.