Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Joshu Sasaki Roshi: 1907 - 2014

Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal DhammaWe(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

May he be peaceful.

I know he is a controversial character within the Buddhist world due to the abuses he conducted, but to many he was a great teacher.

Interesting blog post about his passing here. I didn't know he didn't have any dharma heirs. Indeed, it will be interesting to see what happens to the Rinzai-ji school.

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited July 2014

"...but to many, he was a great teacher".

I struggle with these contradictions...within all religions. I know good teachers can do bad things...but I expect the bad things to be little. When they are big bad things...it feels like saying this is discounting the victims. It may be right and true to some extent...but as a woman, If I ever heard someone say that the man who raped me was "still a good guy/teacher"...it would feel like a knife to my heart....and my mind.
    Giving him his props does what? Does it cancel the ugly out?

I would never celebrate the death of anyone...but could I bring myself to say in front of the boys that the Catholic priests violated..." Well, he was a good priest to some".

I just can't go along with it. I couldn't say it. I can't say it now.
    No matter what the religion.

May the many people he hurt find healing. May the many women he violated learn their true Buddha Nature has nothing to do with what their vagina means to a man.

Interesting NY Times article about his victims and the years and years this went on...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/12/world/asia/zen-buddhists-roiled-by-accusations-against-teacher.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

BunksInvincible_summerDakiniyagr
  • gracklegrackle Veteran

I am of the opinion that women should always carefully guard their mind as well as their private parts when dealing with spiritual teachers.

Dakini
  • gracklegrackle Veteran

I am of the opinion that women should always carefully guard their mind as well as their private parts when dealing with spiritual teachers.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2014

I hope that there are now enough competent teachers out there today to show Buddhist students what behaviors within the master/ disciple relationship are ethically acceptable and what behaviors say it's time to walk away from.

I also hope that the plethora of new upcoming Buddhist teachers in North America will force those teachers who still take ethical license of the vulnerable in their charge to face the consequences of being abandoned by their Sangha's.
    &
    finally I hope that one day, disciples will no longer defend teachers who violate the trust of their charges with the same old sad assertion of how special they are in other ways.

Invincible_summerVastmind
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to defend Sasaki Roshi in any way. I just thought that the passing of a teacher of his prominence was post-worthy, but I wasn't really sure how to make a balanced post that didn't sound like I was either defending him nor essentializing him as a sexual predator.

howVastmind
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited July 2014

I think when a teacher reveals himself to be a predator, the question should arise among followers: "What kind of sangha do we want?"

Do we want one where everyone is treated with equal respect and has an equal opportunity to learn? Or are we ok with one where some members have to either attend in fear or drop out? Do we want one where the suffering of some of the members is ignored because the teacher gives good teachings? Or do we want one where all members are compassionate, and stand up for the right of the weaker members to participate unmolested and enjoy the teachings with the same calm, receptive mind as the rest of us? Are we OK with a sangha that's harmful to some of our members, or is that not ok? And how far are we willing to go to ensure that everyone is able to participate on an equal footing, safely and securely?

Is the Dharma about causing suffering, or eliminating it?

howInvincible_summerVastmind
  • Disregard the Buddha's warning at your own peril.

"And how is there the teacher's undoing? There is the case where a certain teacher[4] resorts to a secluded dwelling: a wilderness, the shade of a tree, a mountain, a glen, a hillside cave, a charnel ground, a forest grove, the open air, a heap of straw. While he is living thus secluded, brahmans & householders from town & countryside visit him. When they visit him, he gets smitten with things that infatuate, falls into greed, and reverts to luxury. This is called a teacher undone with a teacher's undoing. He has been struck down by evil, unskillful qualities that defile, that lead to further becoming, are troublesome, ripen in pain, and lead to future birth, aging, & death. Such is the teacher's undoing.[5]

"And how is there the student's undoing? A student of that teacher, imitating his teacher's seclusion, resorts to a secluded dwelling: a wilderness, the shade of a tree... a heap of straw. While he is living thus secluded, brahmans & householders from town & countryside visit him. When they visit him, he gets smitten with things that infatuate, falls into greed, and reverts to luxury. This is called a student undone with a student's undoing. He has been struck down by evil, unskillful qualities that defile, that lead to further becoming, are troublesome, ripen in pain, and lead to future birth, aging, & death. Such is the student's undoing.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.122.than.html

DakiniInvincible_summer