Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Discourse on the Eight Realizations of the Great Beings

zenguitarzenguitar Bad BuddhistNew England Veteran
edited August 2014 in Arts & Writings

Greetings, illustrious Sangha. Perhaps many of you are familiar with this short sutra, but I thought I would share the link with you since I find it personally quite helpful (when I actually practice it!). From the website of Thich Nhat Hanh:

http://plumvillage.org/sutra/discourse-of-the-eight-realization-of-the-great-beings/

There is also a chanted version of the sutra at the bottom of the page, which I found to be surprisingly musical.

DavidVastmind

Comments

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited August 2014

I have his book "Two Treasures" which I try to read often. In it he offers both this discourse and the Discourse on Happiness.

After each, he breaks them down and explains them in such a way as to make them easy to understand even for me.

zenguitar
  • zenguitarzenguitar Bad Buddhist New England Veteran

@ourself said:
    I have his book "Two Treasures" which I try to read often. In it he offers both this discourse and the Discourse on Happiness.

After each, he breaks them down and explains them in such a way as to make them easy to understand even for me.

Great, thanks, I will have to check that out.

David
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Gratitude for sharing this. I love a good Dharma talk/read. .. :) ...

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Very beautiful, @zenguitar!
    Thanks for sharing!

• zenguitarzenguitar Bad Buddhist New England Veteran

You are welcome all. :)

Just wanted to add I ordered the book "Two Treasures," as recommended by @ourself.
    The volume is tiny, which makes it extremely portable, ideal to slip into any handbag or pocket, to enjoy during queues or bus rides.

As @ourself pointed out, the volume contains the "Sutra on the Eight Realizations of the Great Beings," and the "Discourse on Happiness."
    Both sutras are thoroughly explained, and Thich Nhat Hanh suggests guidelines for daily life on the former.
    A real treat, in case anyone wanted to add it to their shopping list.

VastmindDavid
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Nice teaching, though personally I struggle with anything beyond three... ;)

@SpinyNorman said:
    Nice teaching, though personally I struggle with anything beyond three...

Four Noble Truths, Noble Eightfold Path, Twelve Links.... :)