Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

do i have to become a vegetarian

2»

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@karasti said:
    I could go without meat for a fair amount of time, but my husband does the meal planning and most of the cooking and he's from a "you have meat with dinner, every day!" farming family, lol. I insist on where the meat comes from, so overall we eat fairly small portions of grass fed (and local when we can get it) meat. I just give myself extra helping of veggies and less meat. I do quite well on eggs and fish, but when I crave red meat there is not much stopping it. I tend to have low iron, so I am sure that is where those cravings come from. I could get away with having meat just once or twice a week, but planning (and paying for) 2 separate meals isn't going to happen. As the kids continue to get older, that might change some as the requirement to eat as a family won't be as strong.

Maybe you could have a nice liver, bacon n onions meal once every 3 or 4 months and that would do you for the iron requirements your bod has.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I have taken iron supplements in the past, they make me horribly sick, even taken with food. I had to take them during my pregnancies and it was utterly miserable.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Folic acid is much better for you. I take folic acid..... 5mg/day, but I'm thalassemic... generally speaking, a normal-dose supplement will do most people. And it has no nasty side effects.

Rowan1980