Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

If anyone is interested in jhanas, this is a great website.

http://www.audiodharma.org/teacher/24/

Do you know of any other sites that teaches meditation?

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Yes, the talk on jhanas there is worth a listen. There are other sites but it's mostly insight meditation which seems to be very fashionable these days.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited August 2014

@SpinyNorman said:
    Yes, the talk on jhanas there is worth a listen. There are other sites but it's mostly insight meditation which seems to be very fashionable these days.

Interesting. I had never heard of insight meditation so gave it a search and was surprised to see one of the founders is Jack Kornfield.

I don't think I'm ready to willfully incorporate working with jhanas into my practice. I feel I may have reached a couple from what I've heard but for some reason I don't feel like trying to confirm it.

The site looks wonderful though with a lot of selections. Thanks @cook99

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

@cook99‌

I've done a bit of audio books from Buddhanet.com. They have guided meditations as well as talks on Therevada and Mahayana Buddhism.

• cook99cook99 Explorer

Thanks, ninja.

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

Just go to a secluded or quiet place, and sit down, and establish mindfulness in front of you before anything else first, and in time you will know whether or not your breathing in long or out long, and breathing in short or out short, and you will figure out the rest in no time. You are your own best teacher.

• @cook99 said:
    Do you know of any other sites that teaches meditation?

Simple tips to start with . . . any use?
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/living-the-questions/201408/8-easy-meditation-tips-beginners

@bookworm said:

You are your own best teacher.

Not always.

lobster
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran
    edited August 2014

@SpinNorman but don't you know that heedfulness leads to the deathless? That's what the Buddha said.

@bookworm said:
    SpinNorman but don't you know that heedfulness leads to the deathless? That's what the Buddha said.

Sure, but being heedful isn't as easy as it sounds. Advice is needed.